Game Disc Updates Effects

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ayojoe, Jun 27, 2009.

Jun 27, 2009

Game Disc Updates Effects by ayojoe at 7:16 PM (846 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. ayojoe
    OP

Newcomer ayojoe Advanced Member

United States
    So as I start to catch on to a lot of the info on hacking the Wii (such as IOS', cIOS, etc..) I'm also trying to catch on to the threats that are targeted to harm/stop them, more so caused by Nintendo updates. Now that Nintendo is trying to use game disc updates to stop certain IOS signing bugs, along with other hacks, what should we do?

I mean I know we can just use GeckoOS or Preloader for it's ignore settings, but what if the game disc updates are needed for the games to function properly. I'm bringing this up because sometime soon I plan on renting/buying The Conduit, NPC Mario Power Tennis, maybe NPC Pikmin, and all future Wii games that could possibly always have a disc update.

Not to mention that it would be a very minuscule hassle to have to load Gecko all the time to play a new game, when we can't even use the Wii's Disc Channel to play games normally.

So what should I do? I heard Conduit upgrades some IOS' and MIOS (which also renders GCN Backups incompatible). My friend claims that NPC Mario Power Tennis game disc update upgrades IOS35 so you have to downgrade it again.

Will there be/are there patches for these updates that work WITH them and still allow you to do GC Backups/keep your IOS the way they were modified? Is there a good fairly updated comprehensible site (NOT WuM) that lists and explains all disc updates?

I just want to be able to play games normally while being still able to do Wii/GC Backups, and WADs. If I'm forced to use Gecko I will but I just want to know if there are alternatives.

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate how this community has helped me with my questions this week altogether.

2. SirTempest

Member SirTempest GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    just update to 4.0 with waninkoko updater.
    alle the trucha bugs stay in the ios and there is no game which updates the firmware, at the moment.

2. or use a disc update blocker ( geckoos, starfall, preloader, modchip) and install the missing ios by hand

3. WB3000

Member WB3000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Using Preloader-type patches to disable updates prevents unnecessary updates, and running the game once through the latest GeckoOS will install only the IOS the game needs. Game IOS modules are never important system ones, so it's no big deal to have say IOS53 without the trucha bug present if it makes game launching easier.

4. nicko68

Newcomer nicko68 Advanced Member

Canada
    I use preloader. How do you know what the missing ios is it wants to install, and how do you get it (Google?)

5. Dteyn

Member Dteyn GBAtemp Fan

Canada
  6. Zaide

Member Zaide GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I use preloader to block update from running AND I run all iso images through WiiBrickBlocker to remove all update before I burn them. I have yet to have a game fail to run from a missing IOS. If you ever do have a problem just google it to find out what IOS you need and install it manually.

7. ayojoe
    OP

United States
    But games like The Conduit upgrades many IOS' and there's little info on it at the moment. I also eventually want to be able to do GC Backups sometimes, and it upgrades MIOS in the process. Some guy I was talking to said he knew specifically that it upgraded his IOS36 among others, and it will ask him to update again if he downgrades that and also installs cMIOS again (I think).

And what did you mean by "and running the game once through the latest GeckoOS will install only the IOS the game needs." I thought GeckoOS prevents any game disc installations?

Honestly I'm only afraid of game disc updates messing with my downgraded/reinstalled IOS35, cIOS36rev10, and patched IOS60. I also plan to install cMIOS soon for GC Backups.

Installing patched IOS for the game updates manually sounds like a risk/hassle to me too. What's the difference between installing the updates from the game disc and manually installing them, the the manuals patched or something? And what about when games like The Conduit mess with MIOS/other stuff too.

So what should I do. My want is to have all of my soft-mods intact while still being able to load from the disc channel.

8. WB3000

Member WB3000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The difference between manually updating and letting the disc run its update is that the disc has the whole package of every update available, whereas you only really need a single file out of that.

If you block updates with Preloader, you're covered on the safety side. Only then do you have to worry about getting individual titles to work. By wii 'standards', any individual title uses a single IOS module for all operations. This means that as long as you have that IOS, you're covered. In the latest GeckoOS release (v1.9?) you are given the option of installing what IOS the game needs if it is absent from your system. Nothing else is installed.

9. ayojoe
    OP

United States
    So where's the option on GeckoOS 1.9.1? And after it installs this single IOS, will I be free to use it in the Disc Channel, or will it be risky because the actual disc wanted to install other unneeded things?

10. ayojoe
    OP

United States
    I promise the above quote ^^^ is my last question about this. Thanks for the help. If someone could please answer that tho.