ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
I don't think I've looked forward to a fan translation so much since Mother 3!

This thread has been linked to several GCCX fan sites and whatnot (I found it on one of the fan Tumblrs not long ago).

It's looking amazing so far!

DarknessSavior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right, I'm up way too late as usual but here is what is happening: (If you offered for help, I may need it soon but hold on a bit while I extract/prepare some files for translation. I'm not shunning anyone and I can use all the help I can get. Thanks for all the offers of support and feel free to send me another reminder about it if I forgot to get back to any of you about it) Also, it's really late. If I missed something or messed up somewhere I'll fix it when I can think better.

Things being translated/checked:
* Gamefan Magazines (all 18)
* In-Game Manuals for the 9 main games and 5 Game Instruction sheets at the Waku Waku Boy Game shop
* Dialogue and game script for conversations with Arino (looks fine to me; just needs to be put into the game)
* Selectable dialogue choices during chats with Arino (implementation in the game is unique enough from the plain dialogue I figured I should mention it)
* All Challenges with their descriptions, including the Daily Challenges (all done, needs checking)
Does this mean you don't need me to translate the files you sent me still?

~DS

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Hello. Ah yes, please continue with your work. I should have been a bit clearer in my post. I have makeshift translations of some of it but need your translation while I work on other parts of the game.

Once the text from the Adventure games and the RPG are done (read: extracted) I will have much more translation work to pass around, too :)

As for the hype, I'm happy there is such enthusiasm over seeing this done but I worry I'm being hyped more than I can live up to. Anyway, the project goes on. A lot of good progress is being made and we're almost at a milestone where a fully (mostly?) translated game is playable up to the first few challenges (up to the end of the third game? The Adventure(s) and RPG will still take a bit of work.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Here are some new screenshots. I was able to reuse some of the graphics from the first game but the behavior is a bit weird like in the name entry screen (works fine, but the name is shifted on screen right a bit)

Some of these screenshots are still a bit rough, sorry about that. Also, I can't seem to find which instance of Wiz-Man (or any game title) is the one associated with the top of that last challenge screen. I'll keep looking.

Also, there are more screenshots but I had already posted some of them in previous posts (the Challenge details, the first Gamefan Magazine)

completetitle.png
genderselect.png

genderselect_name.png
warning1.png

introcrawl2.png
newchallengescreen.png

And I have the "Clear!" image from the original but it is different from the one in the second game in that it has the graphics for a failed challenge, which didn't exist in the first game (I don't think...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). In any case, I have to figure out how to get it in here.

chousenclear.png

The Arino dialogue is all done. I'm just waiting on a tool that will do some rapid text swapping with what is already done and update the lenghts/pointers where necessary. Other than a few quirks it is coming along. The menus are still giving me a hard time (all graphics) but I've been asking for help and fortunately there are people kind enough to provide it.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
I don't have anything particularly "new" to report since yesterday except I found why the name entry screen was shifted and I'll look at that.

Also, the original team is back on board (I guess that isn't completely new news) and we are currently discussing what we have done and what needs to be done.

If anything I'm curious what the color Triotos logo could look like (I have a feeling).

Imagine if we dare. Here is the original b&w logo translated to English and the color one in Japanese:
triotosbw.png
triotoscolor2.png

Mind you, in the logo image file, it is just Triotos. The DX is a separate image.

triotoscolor.png

And for extra insanity I'm about to (try and) extract every image in the Adventure game that has Japanese written in the scene that may need translation.

EDIT> Okay, I think I found all the relevant ones. I'll just put them all in one big pile for the moment and sort through them later; there really isn't much to change except for an apartment name, though some buildings like hospitals and police stations have kanji on them and it might look nicer in English

Reactions: Celice

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
9l6KJ77.gif
C7jLuTn.gif

Aww shoot, just now realized I screwed up the colors somehow.
edit: I think the second one is closer.

Pretty good.
I kind of like how the original starts with the color blue tho.
What about the shadow, does it use the base sprite or is its own separate image?

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Oh, this place is back up.

Okay, I have some very good news, and that is we (as in, the bunch of us now working on it) have working tools that can swap out much of the text in the game. A lot of the content outside of some of the games themselves was already done so this is a matter of copy and paste for the most part. As a bonus, even though we can't currently replace the script in the Adventures and RPGs as is with these tools as they are, we can extract (hopefully all) of the game text and then the translators have something new to work on.

There is still quite a bit of spot graphic work to do but a fair bit is done already.

What I hope to do is put a bit more of the translated dialogue with Arino into the game so with that and what we have already, I can demo a version on video showing startup right to the first challenges. Most of this is already done. Just a quick note, but remember not everything is 100% done or perfect but it should show the rough state of things.

Edit> Thanks for that, snapman.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
This might be hard to judge, but if you were to give a '% completed', what percent would you give the project?

For the project as a whole, that is a real tough one to judge. On one hand, the script editing tool xvirus got up and running means all the already-translated text can be inserted fairly quickly (I'm doing that now). Each file may only take a few minutes but there are a ton of them to do.

Once all that text is in place, I am waiting on the game manuals and magazines (I passed them off to be finished) and now that we are able to extract the Adventure and RPG games, we are able to start translating those, so that is huge step in the right direction. In the meantime we need to figure out how to make the script editor tool work with the Adventure and RPG games so we don't have to do something ridiculously time consuming like manually insert each one with a hex editor. Once that is in place that is pretty much all the text in the game.

Then graphics...oh boy, graphics </sarcasm> Fortunately we don't have to change everything and we can reuse some from the first Retro Game Challenge so that speeds things up quite a bit. For what we do have to edit, some of it is a living nightmare, but fortunately some of the nastiness (menus and the intro scroll) are already done...well, a few of the menus, anyway. There are still a bunch to do. There are spot graphics like the magazine logo and maybe company logos, etc. that might need translation and there are images in the Adventure game that might need to be done as well (e.g. a hospital could have "Hospital" or the red cross on it instead of 病院.) I think one of the most potentially nasty parts is the menu system for the RPG. The whole menu system including buy/sell is a collection of images and image maps.

If you can hold on a day or so (it is 1:30am here and I can't record a video of me playing with sound and commenting without waking up my kids/wife) I'll take a video to show what it all looks like. As promised, I now have enough material to do a play from very beginning up to the first challenge with it almost all in English. If I can, I'll try to finish up the following script that carries the game over to the next challenge, and the next, etc., etc. Basically, the longer you give me the more I can show off, but everyone has been waiting for so long for this project, I want to show off something that isn't a collection of still images. I want to show you this thing in action.

But you want a percent...hrm, when all of what we have translated is in the game with this tool (and another one for the magazines), I'd say it is over 50% done for sure; maybe 60% or so, who can judge? When the Adventure/RPG text is done I'd put that closer to 80%. The last 20% (maybe less) is graphics and depending on the complexity that could take a while (or if we are lucky, not much at all). However, I could be vastly underestimating the weight of how difficult or time consuming the Adventure and RPG could be.

The good news is that getting to this mythical 50% or so based on just the text translations should be quickly achieved now; the tools we have make this relatively speedy and the translations for those are already done. (All Arino dialogue, phone conversations, basically anything in-game that isn't directly part of a mini-game)

Again, don't take that as a hard figure. It is really difficult to judge when there are so many small elements to consider and many potential roadblocks along the way.

EDIT> Even this script insertion tool is having hiccups on random files for different reasons, so it is a bit like debugging the tool as we use it on data we really need to change. This all adds to the time it would take.

EDIT again> Also, I don't know at what point this happened, but I can't get the latest version running on a real Nintendo DS...well, it loads, but it crashes when you select Story mode on the main menu. The game works fine through Desmume, however. It might be related to how I am rebuilding the ROM (dslazy is doing it but it looks like the ROM is trimmed when it is done; I've had problems with trimmed ROMs before) but then again it could be some random file that doesn't work/display right on a real DS for whatever reason

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Could you post more graphics that need to be done?
Maybe the community can help, like Snapman just did.
Of course, if that works for the team... it's just a suggestion.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Could you post more graphics that need to be done?
Maybe the community can help, like Snapman just did.
Of course, if that works for the team... it's just a suggestion.

Much of the graphic work is done, actually. There are quite a few menus and screens/logos and small images (including the backgrounds in the Adventure games) to do but finding them all is tedious. If you want to check through the game magazines or manuals you can probably find a bunch that need to be done; I am still checking myself.

The bigger problem is not the graphics, though. Putting them into the game is the nightmare at times. The menus aren't just a straight edit. They require changing the OAM data to fit the options in because the menu is just a collection of small tiles pieced together. That all has to be remapped if you make any significant changes.

And, I took a video of the gameplay. I'm uploading to YouTube now but it will take a while yet. (I recorded with my iPhone and it is over 1GB). My channel is archmiel but I'll post a link/embed a video later when it is all done.

The video is about 7 minutes I think. I hope you enjoy it when it goes up. The volume on the game could have been louder but should still be audible. I speak over it to explain what is going on. I hope my voice isn't too grating.

/me checks YouTube... "89 minutes remaining" and that is just for the upload...yeah, it is going to take a while yet. "Ready in a few minute... LIES!!!" When done it will be the youtube url with v=86WLZysD0h0 on the end but it isn't going to be ready for quite a while yet at this pace.

Edit> In the video I say "Interpreted" when I should have said "localized"...oops

Oh, video is up.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Hi, I don't have much to add other than what the video shows but the substitution of the translated text is underway and will take a little while yet since there are obscurities in some of the file the substitution script/program doesn't properly handle. The RPG/Adventure text is slowly being cranked out, too

I must warn I'm on a family vacation this long weekend so I won't be spending a lot of time on this until the end of the weekend. I did want to get that video out, though, so I'm glad it got out.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, I'm back from vacation (I wanted to get this video up and out there before I left, so I'm sorry if it seems rushed)
As of right now, every text string in the game is extracted, the in-game magazines/manuals are all done (translation needs checking) and I am trying to bundle together the text in the Adventure and RPG games to pass on to the other translators. The graphics for the Adventure game Title Logo is done but there is still quite a bit of GFX work to do.

EDIT> Nagato did a proof of concept to show it in action:

texthack1.png
texthack2.png
texthack3.png

- Aaron

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, I looked through and grouped the lbs files according to game and I have good but potentially daunting news.

The RPG uses 1697 lbs files
Both Adventure games use 1029 together

I'm using the extracted text of which there are from 0 to usually single digit number of lines per file to translate. It isn't so bad, just pretty long

There are 1264 files related to other text in the game but I think most of that is done already.

When I get home I'll upload some RARs for you any interested translators to enjoy (there is already dibs on the RPG). In theory it should be a simple matter of running Nagato's script against any work done so these can be put into the game in any order at any time since they are all independent.

snapman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, if there's a way I could help out with spot graphics work, let me know. Moving pixels around and imitating art styles is a hobby of mine, and it'd be cool to put that to use on a collaborative project like this!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool