Game came out in May 2020 and it had lockdowns, anti-police messages and people wearing masks

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,278
  • Replies 9
D

Deleted User

OP
Now I know the obvious that all of this virus stuff started before May 2020. However, it takes at the very least 1-2 years usually to make a video game. There's no way they could have made it in 2 months because March is when all this really kicked in with lockdowns masks etc...also BLM didn't happen until June. It could be a coincidence but it's a huge one. Read this description

9ijsmNol.jpg

Umurangi Generation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
Umurangi Generation
Umurangi Generation Logo.jpg
Developer(s) Origame Digital
Publisher(s)
OrigameDigital,
Playism
Director(s) Tali Faulkner
Composer(s) ThorHighHeels
Engine Unity
Platform(s) Microsoft Windows
Release May 19, 2020
Genre(s) First-person, Simulation game
Mode(s) Single-player
Umurangi Generation is a first-person simulation video game developed by Origame Digital and licensed to and published by Active Gaming Media Inc. in English speaking territories, and published by Playism for Japanese and Chinese localization. Umurangi Generation was released for PC on May 19, 2020.

Does this sound familiar? A city’s in lockdown after a crisis, its citizens wearing face masks for their own health. Heavily armed cops patrol streets rife with anti-cop graffiti. Institutions have violated their compact with the people, and those in power came down hard on those who rose up against them. It’s real life around the world right now, but it’s also the setting for Umurangi Generation, a beautiful photo game that contrasts the peacefulness of taking photos and making art with the fear and violence of a police state, and which came out a week before the protests inspired by George Floyd’s murder went global. The societal issues that people are protesting are timeless, sadly, and embedded at the very foundation of our culture, which means a game like Umurangi will always be timely—at least until society is transformed to the point of being unrecognizable. Playing Umurangi over the last few days can be taxing, especially if you turn to games simply to shut out the world around you and ignore what’s happening. The added context of the last week also makes it exhilarating, though, and in a way that leaves me feeling a bit guilty and shameful—like a tourist who, instead of documenting real life oppression, is living in a fictionalized version of it. The events that inspired Umurangi’s crisis are environmental—designer Naphtali Faulkner’s mother’s house was destroyed during the bush fires that raged through Australia last year, and the game’s dark red skies hint at a different kind of trauma than the one currently happening in America and elsewhere. It’s one that still looms above all of society, though; if we don’t tear our own cities down first, the worsening climate problem inevitably will. Despite the different disasters, and even with its futuristic, sci-fi trappings, Umurangi Generation is a vital, current, powerful game that uncannily captures the mood of its time.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Your information is wrong. Video games can be made much faster if you stick to an existing engine, and even more if you use stock assets rather than create everything from scratch like most AAA-titles do. So I'm not sure what you're implying here. Face masks were relatively new, but there's plenty of dystopian tropes (e. g. Police brutality) that were known long before Floyd's death.

D

Deleted User

OP
10 months

Development. Umurangi Generation was developed by a Maori developer, Naphtali Faulkner. Faulkner developed the game in 10 months, starting full-time work on the project at the start of 2020.

That means the idea came from 2019, 10 months before May 2020 was way before the virus. I'm not wrong.

Cdiddy1122

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
10 months

Development. Umurangi Generation was developed by a Maori developer, Naphtali Faulkner. Faulkner developed the game in 10 months, starting full-time work on the project at the start of 2020.

That means the idea came from 2019, 10 months before May 2020 was way before the virus. I'm not wrong.
Facemasks were necessary for health in china long before this whole covid thing went down. Umurangi sounds like it is from the Japanese language, so I'm gonna say they took inspiration from China for that decision

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That means it started development in July 2019.
That's already 2-3 months ahead of patient zero for Covid.
Quite a good way ahead if you ask me.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
10 months

When I wrote 'your information is wrong' I was referring to your statement that "it takes at the very least 1-2 years to make a video game". So... Thanks for proving my point, I guess?

But I still don't know what you're point is, here. Okay, he started working on his game before anyone knew about covid. So what? It'd be strange if he had face masks, let alone the current description, on day 1. But I don't see why he can't add those to make it more relevant (rather the opposite : I think games shouldn't necessarily shy away from political statements. But that may be another discussion).

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
D

Deleted User

OP
When I wrote 'your information is wrong' I was referring to your statement that "it takes at the very least 1-2 years to make a video game". So... Thanks for proving my point, I guess?

But I still don't know what you're point is, here. Okay, he started working on his game before anyone knew about covid. So what? It'd be strange if he had face masks, let alone the current description, on day 1. But I don't see why he can't add those to make it more relevant (rather the opposite : I think games shouldn't necessarily shy away from political statements. But that may be another discussion).

10 months and 1 year is not that far apart. You're just an annoying little turd I'm not explaining anything to you you're not smart enough to understand anyway and you changed the argument because I made you look foolish.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
10 months and 1 year is not that far apart. You're just an annoying little turd I'm not explaining anything to you you're not smart enough to understand anyway and you changed the argument because I made you look foolish.
So you think you make me look foolish because you were wrong?

Yeah, sure. Whatever. Be a dick about it.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
D

Deleted User

OP
That means it started development in July 2019.
That's already 2-3 months ahead of patient zero for Covid.
Quite a good way ahead if you ask me.

Only reply that has any sense in this thread. Everyone else wants to insult and nitpick.

It's probably a coincidence but it's interesting that they made a game before all this stuff happened. But go ahead continue the petty insults for no reason.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That would've gone slow he's old +1