Game Boy Micro R Button issues

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Schlupi, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Schlupi
    OP

Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

Aug 31, 2007
    United States
    Rozen Queen Co, Chicago Branch
    So I have the MOTHER 3 Game Boy Micro, and I love it to death. I have been playing it recently (playing through MOTHER 1+2) and I noticed something... every once in a while, the R button wouldn't work, and I would have to press down harder for it to work. As I kept playing, I blew into it, and it would fix it temporarily and I could lightly press it and it would work fine again.

So I kept playing, but now, like literally every 5 minutes I have to blow in it or it's not working right. Oh man... I am assuming it's a contact issue (maybe it's dirty?) but I am not sure; I was gonna open it up but if anybody has any Micro related tips, please, to tell. I have never opened a Micro, it's the only game boy I never tinkered with, and well... this MOTHER 3 Deluxe Box costs a small fortune, so I would rather not have the Micro be trashed.

If worse comes to worst... I could always transplant another Micro guts into this one, but I HOPE it won't come to that; please, Gbatemp! If you have any info please help.

2. 8BitWalugi

8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Mar 22, 2008
    Australia
    Side 7
    I got the same problem. [​IMG]

I just deal with it. Blow every 5 mins, it works.

You luck bastard and your Deluxe Box Micro! [​IMG]

3. Schlupi
    OP

Aug 31, 2007
    United States
    I looked online apparently this is a big issue with Micros, I am seeing a lot of people reporting their R button messing up (instead of the L lol).

Man... for now I am just gonna play on my SP (NES edition [​IMG]) I don't wanna permanently ruin my Micro. [​IMG]

4. Schlupi
    OP

Aug 31, 2007
    United States
    Have not gotten any info on this... hoping for a second opinion.

5. hunter291

hunter291 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 14, 2007
    Gambia, The
    I think it is the same problem as always. Dirty contacts. If you blow into it, your breath will make them worse. Screw it open and clean the contacts.

6. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    If you can solder you can replace them or move them closer to the clicker.

parts you can use:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/repair-parts-...piece-set-13264

what it looks like in the micro:
    [​IMG]

WARNING: If you got no skills at replacing surface mounted parts, your gonna screw up. Your better off fixing the plastic R clicker instead.

7. Schlupi
    OP

Aug 31, 2007
    United States
    If you're sure that the DS Lite clickers will work (which I am sure you are, you always do your research [​IMG]) I will order them to replace them (since I can solder).

Thanks, I wasn't sure which part to get.

8. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    The cure for this is the same for all Nintendo L-R button microswitch problems ... open it up, clean the microswitch with a few blasts of contact cleaner (get it at Radio Shack), and put it back together. When you buy the can of contact cleaner, buy the non-lubricated stuff. The lubricated cleaner has a light oil mixed in which is unnecessary for what you're doing.

Contact cleaner is a godsend. I've brought L-R buttons back to like-new function on GBA's, DS's, SNES controllers. It even fixed the mini-USB connection on my old EFA Linker GBA cart.

9. Schlupi
    OP

Aug 31, 2007
    United States
    Yeah, I have some of that too. I will give that a shot before buying the new part; funny. At the moment I can't seem to recreate the issue; it is working perfectly now (after a week of trouble >_>) Maybe I should just leave it for now.

OH RIGHT! I have a Broken DS Lite somewhere that I can harvest the DS Lite triggers from. [​IMG]

10. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    The buttons are placed vertically so placement might not be exact when you replace them with new ones.