Game Boy Micro R Button issues

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Schlupi, Jun 23, 2011.

Jun 23, 2011

Game Boy Micro R Button issues by Schlupi at 8:18 AM (4,628 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Schlupi
    OP

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    So I have the MOTHER 3 Game Boy Micro, and I love it to death. I have been playing it recently (playing through MOTHER 1+2) and I noticed something... every once in a while, the R button wouldn't work, and I would have to press down harder for it to work. As I kept playing, I blew into it, and it would fix it temporarily and I could lightly press it and it would work fine again.

So I kept playing, but now, like literally every 5 minutes I have to blow in it or it's not working right. Oh man... I am assuming it's a contact issue (maybe it's dirty?) but I am not sure; I was gonna open it up but if anybody has any Micro related tips, please, to tell. I have never opened a Micro, it's the only game boy I never tinkered with, and well... this MOTHER 3 Deluxe Box costs a small fortune, so I would rather not have the Micro be trashed.

If worse comes to worst... I could always transplant another Micro guts into this one, but I HOPE it won't come to that; please, Gbatemp! If you have any info please help.

2. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    I got the same problem. [​IMG]

I just deal with it. Blow every 5 mins, it works.

You luck bastard and your Deluxe Box Micro! [​IMG]

3. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    I looked online apparently this is a big issue with Micros, I am seeing a lot of people reporting their R button messing up (instead of the L lol).

Man... for now I am just gonna play on my SP (NES edition [​IMG]) I don't wanna permanently ruin my Micro. [​IMG]

4. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    Have not gotten any info on this... hoping for a second opinion.

5. hunter291

Member hunter291 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    I think it is the same problem as always. Dirty contacts. If you blow into it, your breath will make them worse. Screw it open and clean the contacts.

6. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    If you can solder you can replace them or move them closer to the clicker.

parts you can use:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/repair-parts-...piece-set-13264

what it looks like in the micro:
    [​IMG]

WARNING: If you got no skills at replacing surface mounted parts, your gonna screw up. Your better off fixing the plastic R clicker instead.

7. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    If you're sure that the DS Lite clickers will work (which I am sure you are, you always do your research [​IMG]) I will order them to replace them (since I can solder).

Thanks, I wasn't sure which part to get.

8. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The cure for this is the same for all Nintendo L-R button microswitch problems ... open it up, clean the microswitch with a few blasts of contact cleaner (get it at Radio Shack), and put it back together. When you buy the can of contact cleaner, buy the non-lubricated stuff. The lubricated cleaner has a light oil mixed in which is unnecessary for what you're doing.

Contact cleaner is a godsend. I've brought L-R buttons back to like-new function on GBA's, DS's, SNES controllers. It even fixed the mini-USB connection on my old EFA Linker GBA cart.

9. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I have some of that too. I will give that a shot before buying the new part; funny. At the moment I can't seem to recreate the issue; it is working perfectly now (after a week of trouble >_>) Maybe I should just leave it for now.

OH RIGHT! I have a Broken DS Lite somewhere that I can harvest the DS Lite triggers from. [​IMG]

10. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    The buttons are placed vertically so placement might not be exact when you replace them with new ones.