Hardware Game Boy Advance short circuit

yanvbraz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello, I have a GBA with a really annoying noise coming from speaker.

I tried using the method as shown in a thread with GBA speaker noise fixed title (can't use hyperlinks yet), where I soldered a 220 uF 16V capacitor to the specified pins, with no luck in soaking up the noise. Then I proceeded in buying and soldering a 100 uF 25V capacitor, but this time, I messed things with soldering and ended soldering not only the first 2 legs of amplifier, but also the 3rd, which probably caused a short circuit to the amplifier chip.

Well, when I inserted my SuperCard Mini SD to the GBA, it shows the GBA and Nintendo logo (with sound), and freezes in a black screen instead of showing SuperCard menu.

I tested my SuperCard in a DS and it works fine. Not only that, it boots GameBoy Color games normally, but the R button (which is used for GND soldering) is dead/unresponsive. That means my GBA is semi dead.

Of course, imeadiatelly I dessoldered the capacitor but still, nothing changed. I don't know if there's anything I could do, probably I really messed something in the board.

Is there anything else I could do or is that GameBoy already screwed? :sad:

Kind regards.

Last edited by yanvbraz,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why would you buy a lower rated capacitor?

Anyway I would have to see a decent picture of the board at least. I don't know if you bridged something, failed to recreate a joint, burned off something or something else entirely. If it is just a matter of reflowing a joint or fixing a small solder bridge then that is easy. I assume you sorted the shorts -- if you are not familiar then dragging your soldering iron away from the pins should sort that out.

As far as black screen on the supercard I would also look at the contacts of the GBA -- could be a complete coincidence that the contacts failed at the same time. Speaking of flash carts some of them seem to induce noise (we tend to see it with the EZ4). Don't know about the supercards as nobody really uses them (they are not good flash carts) but it is certainly not impossible.

You can break hyperlinks so we know what site you are on about as well.

gbatemp.net /threads/game-boy-advance-short-circuit.495929/ sort of thing

Reactions: yanvbraz

yanvbraz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That was the thread I used for modding attempt:
gbatemp. net /threads /gba-speaker-noise-fixed.450093/

First capacitor (220 uF) didn't had any effect is soaking the noise. OP of the thread recommended a lower capacitancy cap for the mod.

Pictures here:
imgur. com /a /OBUzj

What I know so far:
-> R button doesn't work anymore (used for GND)
-> Supercard Mini SD gives black screen on GBA, but works on DS Lite
-> GBC games works fine. (I can strecth screen with L, but can't shrink with R
-> Speaker/headphones works fine, although Amplifier chip was short circuited

Last edited by yanvbraz,

Bazahazano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That was the thread I used for modding attempt:
gbatemp. net /threads /gba-speaker-noise-fixed.450093/

First capacitor (220 uF) didn't had any effect is soaking the noise. OP of the thread recommended a lower capacitancy cap for the mod.

Pictures here:
imgur. com /a /OBUzj

What I know so far:
-> R button doesn't work anymore (used for GND)
-> Supercard Mini SD gives black screen on GBA, but works on DS Lite
-> GBC games works fine. (I can strecth screen with L, but can't shrink with R
-> Speaker/headphones works fine, although Amplifier chip was short circuited

Take a look at C39 just above the AMP chip. Looks like it's damaged on one end the metal is not there. Also a possible short on the pin 3 of VR2 there is a small spike of solder between the pins. Most of your solder joints show signs of poor wetting, try adding flux and re-flow them all.

Last edited by Bazahazano,

yanvbraz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Okay, I have good news.

I managed to get a second Game Boy Advance along with some cartridges. I did several tests with both GameBoys and what @FAST6191 said was true. It was a complete coincidence that SuperCard Mini SD failed to work on my own GBA, all other GBA games I tested, including an original, was perfect. The SuperCard Mini SD in the GBA of my friend works just fine.

I guess that means there is nothing wrong with C39 capacitor, anyways that was a good catch... @Bazahazano. Anyways I'll take notes about the solder joints suggestions. Thank you!

Since I got other GBA cartridges, I was able to perform tests with buttons. In fact, R button isn't dead, it is, for some reason, always pressed. I don't know what caused it tbh.

Anyone have a clue what caused R button to be recognized as always pressed?

I am relieved that this GBA still have a chance to live :wub:

I wonder why SuperCard Mini SD now refuses to work in that GBA...

Last edited by yanvbraz,

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone have a clue what caused R button to be recognized as always pressed?

i have the same problem with my psp, though i cant isolate which button it is that is stuck. anyhow, with your R button, id get some rubbing alcohol up in there. at the actual switch on the motherboard. perhaps some wd40?

yanvbraz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So.. I discovered that the shoulder switch is very rusty, after lifting and taking the metal contact disc. A friend of mine discovered there is a continuity between contacts of shoulder switch, which causes R button to be always pressed. In fact, both shoulder switch needs to be replaced.

I noticed Xbox 360 shoulder buttons are very very similar to the ones GBA uses. Is it okay if I use these ones? They have the exactly same size and dimmension, except the black rubber that looks more firm and hard.

images-na.ssl-images-amazon. com / images / I / 61zGWGt2jyL._SX575_.jpg

Last edited by yanvbraz,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had a quick look around and yeah they look extremely similar, and if not should be similar enough to bend the pins slightly to make them fit in the PCB.

There are two types of push button switch.
Push to make connection
Push to break connection

I would be shocked if they were push to break switches for a game controller.

That said looking at all the usual suspects (aliexpress and such) for replacement parts they are all much the same price.

As far as the supercard then time to try the paper trick.
Get a piece of paper of a suitable size. Fold it a few times and put it between the supercard case and the back of the pins. This sometimes forces the pins into better connection and thus gets it working again.

yanvbraz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As far as the supercard then time to try the paper trick.
Get a piece of paper of a suitable size. Fold it a few times and put it between the supercard case and the back of the pins. This sometimes forces the pins into better connection and thus gets it working again.

I forgot to say, I read somewhere that pressing L+R buttons on startup of SuperCard Mini SD starts a self-tester built in the flashcart. Since R button was pressed permanently, SuperCard waits in a black screen for L button to be pressed, so it starts the self-tester! I ran SuperCard in a DS Lite with R button pressed and same thing happened, the black screen. So it wasn't fault of SuperCard, what a coincidence that happened! :lol:

So I'm assuming shoulder buttons of GBA is the "push to make connection" right?

Last edited by yanvbraz,

yanvbraz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Alright guys, with a help of a friend I managed to replace the shoulder with XBox 360 ones and it was successful! Now shoulder switches are working as brand new ones :D

There are some things to note, for anyone who needs to replace shoulders:
1. Xbox 360 switches are a bit more noisy and clicky than the stock ones.
2. The metal base that grounds to the motherboard doesn't fit properly in GBA. I had to remove the switch from the base and fit it in the old GBA metal base.

Aside of that, now my GBA is working as expected again, I also took advantage to make the sound mod and now it is perfect! :yaysp: Thanks mates!

Attachments

• 20180208_144523.jpg
    20180208_144523.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 527
  • 20180208_144536.jpg
    20180208_144536.jpg
    961.9 KB · Views: 320
Last edited by yanvbraz,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You say clicky and noisy like it is a bad thing.

Glad it is working though. Good to know 360 switches can be used in a pinch as well, can usually find one of them to cannibalise far easier than I can a GBA these days (prices for GBAs seem to have gone back up).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night