Hacking Game backup doesn't give a .3DS file?

skfields01

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I backed up my Project Miria cart through my Gateway and instead of giving me a single .3ds file... It gave me two files. A .3D0 file and .3D1 file and both are around 2 gigs each. This is new to me. Can someone explain why?

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I backed up my Project Miria cart through my Gateway and instead of giving me a single .3ds file... It gave me two files. A .3D0 file and .3D1 file and both are around 2 gigs each. This is new to me. Can someone explain why?

because that is how they do it with big carts.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Put the 2 parts in the same folder, hold SHIFT, right click on the folder, choose open a cmd line here then type
Code:
 copy /b romname.3d0 + romname.3d1 romname.3dz

Reactions: usernametaken

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the person didn't ask what to do with the files, he just asked why gateway does it like that.

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And once they know why the backup utility does that, the next question they'll ask is what they should do with it.

Maybe. It's possible that they know how to put the files back together but was just curious about why gateway does it that way. Personally, I was hoping they wanted to know how to fix the rom so they can use it, and I was hoping to drag the process out as long as I can since they didn't just ask that to begin with. But now they have all the answers and probably won't post here again...

skfields01

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now now everybody. I'll play devils advocate.

Do I even need to combine them back to 1 large file or can I just put both files onto the root of the sd card?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now now everybody. I'll play devils advocate.

Do I even need to combine them back to 1 large file or can I just put both files onto the root of the sd card?
You can play them in that format, but if you want to edit the header or make it into a .cia, you'll need to put it back. Not sure if that game has online or not.

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just messing and yes you can put them on the root of your card. I have always combined them myself.

skfields01

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotcha.

So to join into 1 file, it is...

copy /b mirai.3d0 + mirai.3d1 mirai.3dz

Exactly like that... spaces, plus and all? Also... Does it have to be a .3dz or can it be a .3ds?

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotcha.

So to join into 1 file, it is...

copy /b mirai.3d0 + mirai.3d1 mirai.3dz

Exactly like that... spaces, plus and all? Also... Does it have to be a .3dz or can it be a .3ds?

yep, exactly like that. you can have it 3ds. 3dz means it can go online if it's an online game. 3ds files won't go online. some extra protection in case nintendo was banning people. Since it's your cart, it has your original header in it and if it's able to go online, you could go online without fear of being banned.

skfields01

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few last questions.

Th sd card I backed the game on was formatted to Fat32. Is that why the game split because of its limitations? If I format to exFat will it back it up as a single file?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: @Xdqwerty the age on your profile is real? if yes i am twice as old....i am old...:cry: