Hacking Game asking for updates, but I have latest version of IOS

themanuel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is mostly for the sake of knowledge, as the USB loaders get around the issue, but:

Why do games keep showing "Wii System Update" in the disc channel, when I already have the latest version of the IOS used by that game?

For example, Tiger Woods PGA 12 asks me for a system update.
Wii Backup Manager tells me that this game uses IOS 56.
According to SyscheckGX, my version of IOS 56 is rev5662.

Could it be that some games have lower level updates to these IOS's, not evident in the 5662 version number?

Thanks.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you have your priiloader set to block updates from disk/online?
mine never shows an update prompt even playing mw3,even though i know there is an update.(just for online playing).

themanuel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't use PriiLoader. I just launch games through WiiFlow, even if they're discs, so it doesn't really bother me much.
I'm just curious as to how that works.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are misunderstanding how things work.
In order to use a USB loader you have to have a cIOS isntalled.
In this case you use IOS 56 to load games from Wiiflow. (You installed a cIOS as base 56)
When you enter a disc if it sees that an IOS is missing or does not match the IOS it requires. It will prompt for an update. (And there could be more than one)
Just use a update blocker to prevent seeing the message.

themanuel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do use d2x base 56 on slot 249, among other cIOS's, for wiiflow and can load the game perfectly fine from the hard drive.
My question doesn't really have anything to cIOS, but rather with the official IOS 56.
SyscheckGX reports that I have rev 5662 of the official IOS 56, which must have been updated when I let the Wii update itself to System Menu 4.3, or an earlier one.

However, this game uses IOS 56 and I have the latest, so I don't know why it wants an update.

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's not only about the IOS the game requires...all IOS versions are checked against the disc, which contains a complete set of IOSes IIRC. if ANY IOS has a lower version number than what is on the disc, it will prompt for an update. so if IOS249 or IOS4 or IOSwhatever has a lower version than the official N version (stub or not) on that disc, it will say you need an update in the disc channel (even if that particular IOS isn't needed for whatever game you are using)...

...but as others have said, Priiloader FTW.... it will keep the kids or other ignorant people who happen in on your modded-to-perfection wii from F-ing it all up....

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you do not want to install Priiloader please consider installing a Custom System Menu so if you do end up updating you will not A-brick or B-lose your softmod.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you do not want to install Priiloader please consider installing a Custom System Menu so if you do end up updating you will not A-brick or B-lose your softmod.
Erm...that's a bit stupid. In more than one way, priiloader IS a custom system menu (when you install it, it replaces the menu and puts it in another spot). I guess you could go with a custom system menu that has that "no update" included, but why would you go with that if you can have priiloader and have that same hack and a bit of other antibricking measures as well?

themanuel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always relied on BootMii/boot2 as safety net and I'm not too inclined to do either of the above.
The IOS question was more of an "academic" one.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Projects??? neek2o is really nice but I'm not sure what you mean by that statement alone :(

You can use WiiMod3.0 to install a Custom System Menu.
It's possible to do an offline installation of a Custom System Menu.
Download NUS downloader 1.9 http://wiibrew.org/wiki/NUS_Downloader or use this direct link http://nusdownloader...nloader_v19.zip
Download your desired SM 4.x and it's IOS and make sure the box is checked for pack wad.
SM4.1=IOS60
SM4.2=IOS70
SM4.3=IOS80 (unless you have a korean Wii then you need to install IOS60 into slot 80 to avoid getting 003 Error brick)
Copy over the SM WAD to the root of your SD or USB.
Load WiiMod
Go to "System Menu" Change Select IOS & Version# to Yes and choose your install method: NUS, SMB, USB, SD
Choose any IOS preferably IOS60/70/80 since these are the some of the recent SM IOS but I like IOS3 cause it's not used by anything so perfect.
Select version#
Let the app do it's thing :)
Update and you will still have all your softmods (please note unless certain cIOS are maxed out you will need to reinstall them cause they will be STUB but this can be fixed by using changing the version# of said IOS to 65535.

While the Priiloader is great :) the only downfall I see to installing a Custom System Menu is your boot2 might get updated then you would need to install bootmii again; considering bootmii is compatible with the new boot2 update. This is where Priiloader excels; however a Custom System Menu is still nice and allows you to update w/o relying homebrew.

I'm currently in the process of building a new nand on my PC and plan on using Priiloader only atm but will eventually just Priiloader in conjuction with a Custom System Menu.

So off topic: are there any reported problems with using Priiloader Region Free hacks or any hacks in general on SM4.3? I do have an older Wii but since I don't disc load anymore I was considering updating this fresh nand to 4.3.

Thanks in advance

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from my understanding about updating an boot2. boot 2 gets stubed, when updating to 4.3. so if OP updated his boot2 is not there like he thinks it is. not unless he just used modmii,an updated everything through it.
also why do a system menu wad? that in it self is dangerous , that could cause a brick. he should just use my menufy, or scooby's mod (scooby scooby doo were are you).
if the OP doesn't want to mess with priiloader, then i would say let him/her check neek2o out.
@OP, i would do priiloader, if you have little ones that play the wii, . chance are high the wii will get updated by mistake. an priiloader will stop it.
prii has saved my wii so many time, just because of this reason.

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
I see no reason NOT to use priiloader... Its an extra safety knowing its there, and you can safely play Wii with friends when you are drunk :P

themanuel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed bootmii after I already was on System Menu 4.3U so yes, I do have it. I bought my Wii around Feb, 2007, so I'm lucky to be able to installe bootmii as boot2.

My kids have been good about not updating the Wii, but still, the extra layer of safety afforded by Priiloader is worth considering.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed bootmii after I already was on System Menu 4.3U so yes, I do have it. I bought my Wii around Feb, 2007, so I'm lucky to be able to installe bootmii as boot2.

My kids have been good about not updating the Wii, but still, the extra layer of safety afforded by Priiloader is worth considering.
still i would make sure you have bootmii at boot2, cause if you installed boot mii after on 4.3. then there is a high probailaty it's sitting on ios254. but could be wrong. there is alot of stuff i still do not know.
from other post i've seen an read 4.3 doesn't have boot2. they stubbed that in the update for ?4.2? or ?4.3?... i wish i could have boot2 being on 4.3..

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
from my understanding about updating an boot2. boot 2 gets stubed, when updating to 4.3. so if OP updated his boot2 is not there like he thinks it is. not unless he just used modmii,an updated everything through it.
also why do a system menu wad? that in it self is dangerous , that could cause a brick. he should just use my menufy, or scooby's mod (scooby scooby doo were are you).
if the OP doesn't want to mess with priiloader, then i would say let him/her check neek2o out.
@OP, i would do priiloader, if you have little ones that play the wii, . chance are high the wii will get updated by mistake. an priiloader will stop it.
prii has saved my wii so many time, just because of this reason.

Where do you get your facts? It's nice of you to help others, but please get your facts straight. If boot2 was stubbed the Wii would be bricked, very simple.

If you have BootMii boot2 installed, then your boot2 still has the same version as before installing BootMii boot2. System menu 4.2 comes bundled with boot2v4, so if you have boot2v2 or boot2v3, updating to 4.2 or 4.3 via official online or disc update will update your boot2 to version 4, which removes BootMii boot2. If you have boot2v4 with BootMii boot2 and then update, boot2 and BootMii boot2 are not touched. BootMii boot2 can always be reinstalled if your boot1, which can't be updated in any way, allows a trucha signed boot2.

Ok, the rest of your advise is good, installing a system menu wad can brick, because it doesn't check if you have the IOS that you need installed. And installing priiloader should always be good advise, as well as using Sneek/Uneek/neek2o instead of messing with the nand.

themanuel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower:
You're a fast draw and beat me to the punch. You said it with more confidence that I would have, anyway. Thanks for the clarification.
I still haven't taken that next step to dive into the whole Neek/uNeek/DI, etc... It sounds like a good next step, along with looking at Priiloader.

While on general mod topics, is there any advantage to using cIOS 236 to install wads? I've mostly used 249 (WAD Manager's default) and 58 (d2x installer's default) to install them, and everything has gone well, but I often see 236 recommended as the one to use.

The wiiflow wiki shows a confusing recommendation, from which it is not clear to me if they recommend using 236 or 58.
I've underlined the phrases that seem to contradict each other:
"If you are using the installer, make sure to install all bases, starting with ios 245 and the lowest available base, working your way up to 251 base 58, using IOS 236 to do the install.
In the first option you come in the intaller(cIOS Selection), it will choose automatically IOS 58 (AHBPROT) for you. If you don't have it , select IOS 236 and then on the following page where you actually install d2x, you select it like this:"

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well ok then i can add my bootmii to boot 2 instead of having it on ios?
when i first got the wii i used bannerbomb to hack. then my kids updated, after that i had to use smash stack. when loading bootmii i could not use boot2 anymore i had to use ios254.
so if i'm reading correct i can put bootmii back on to boot2?, if so how come every time i've tried in the past it tells me i can't. i have to stick it on 254..
i tried two week ago to put bootmii on boot2. if i'm wrong great, i'll figure out how to do it then. an put my bootmii on boot2.

themanuel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I can ask you the same question: are you sure you had it installed as boot2 before?
I imagine you've tried the basics:
- was your Wii manufactured before late 2008? Read here, under "Compatibility"
- make sure you are using the latest hackmii installer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards