Android Galaxy Nexus; worth getting still?

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's been a while temp, forum still looks the same! Hopefully people have been enjoying their summer!

I just rooted my mom's Optimus 2x and put on a jellybean rom and was so amazed at it's simplicity and speed. I've been using a very old Nokia for a few years now [I believe it is a Nokia 3310] and after playing around with her Optimus 2x, I think it's time to buy a new phone and root it! Although I live in Canada, I have relatives in the States who I can visit for those sites that are restricted to shipping only to US addresses. Being in Canada, everything is quite expensive and the prices are pretty high compared to the States in general. After doing some research, I've been curious to know if the Galaxy Nexus is still worth buying with the Galaxy S III out. I have no interest in the iPhone, so the release of the iPhone 5 means nothing to me however someone pointed out that over at Galaxy Play, they are selling the Galaxy Nexus for $350 as opposed to $600 for those Canadian carriers [such as Fido and Wind]. Would it be worth purchasing the Galaxy Nexus for that price and then shipping it to Canada or in your opinion, should I save up my money and wait to see what is to come?

Although it is also off topic, I plan on making my own arcade stick as well but once again, I don't intend to buy it all in the same time, so my priorities need to be made forward. A new phone would be nice, and everything would be shrinked into just carrying around one device [rather than bring my phone and my ZuneHD/Sansa Clip+ around]. An arcade stick would be a luxury to have especially since I've taken an interest in fighters. What are your opinions on buying the Galaxy Nexus for $350 compared to just saving up money for the next gen phone that Google will offer in years to come [considering that I would prefer a factory unlocked phone].

Supersonicmonk

Trophies
XP
Country
It really is an awesome phone especially with Jelly Bean which I've had the pleasure of using on my Nexus 7. The rumours are that five new nexus devices will be unveiled soon so I'm waiting for them to be announced before I think of buying a new phone (using a G1 I bought for the novelty at the moment) since even if they aren't to my liking the galaxy nexus will probably see a price drop. Specs wise the phone's all right but it felt like Samsung sabotaged it so that the Galaxy S III would look more appealing there are a few weird omissions like a 5MP camera instead of 8 which was standard even when it was released. If Samsung makes another Nexus with a similar design but better specs and slightly more polish then I'd be willing to pay a fair bit for it.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really is an awesome phone especially with Jelly Bean which I've had the pleasure of using on my Nexus 7. The rumours are that five new nexus devices will be unveiled soon so I'm waiting for them to be announced before I think of buying a new phone (using a G1 I bought for the novelty at the moment) since even if they aren't to my liking the galaxy nexus will probably see a price drop. Specs wise the phone's all right but it felt like Samsung sabotaged it so that the Galaxy S III would look more appealing there are a few weird omissions like a 5MP camera instead of 8 which was standard even when it was released. If Samsung makes another Nexus with a similar design but better specs and slightly more polish then I'd be willing to pay a fair bit for it.
the nexus was released almost a year ago, while the s3 was released a few months ago
and also the nexus wasnt meant to be a flashship phone like the s3 is

@op
personally I would wait a bit, the nexus 2 (or whatever it will be called) will most likely be released in the next couple of months

the nexus its self is a good phone
just make sure 16GB is enough for you because there is no expandable memory slot
though I did note alot of stuff tends to go wrong at times
data communications wont connect, the camera stops working, and sometimes crashes

I have the s3 myself and its an amazing phone, im not sure of prices where you live though as I got it on a cheap subsidized price through a carrier
you would have to make the call if your willing to pay the difference though, last I heard it was around $600

Reactions: 1 person

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
o-o
My thoughts must've been jumbled and mixed some words around when I thought it said Galaxy Play. xD

The Galaxy S III is $650 at one of the 2 carriers I am interested in w/o any contracts so just the phone purchase. The nice thing about this carrier is that after 3 months, they provide you with an unlock code so that you can pretty much do what it is intended to be used for; to unlock your phone. They also offer a tab system where you are forced to either stay on a $25/30 plan or a $40 plan. I believe 16GB should be enough anyway, since at most, my music library would probably reach 2-3GB and if anything, I would bring a dedicated media player instead. It feels as if that will most likely be a priority, so I will have to keep my mind open towards a phone that offers expandable memory. When you said a couple of months, how many months in that generally? Next time I am visiting the States is most likely December, so that's when I would probably have ordered the phone.

Also, comparing the HTC One S and the Galaxy Nexus, what are the major ups and downs of both? I can find more resources for the Galaxy Nexus b/c it's been out for much longer and is intended as a "developer" phone since it's Google's phone however the lack of expandable memory is one of the thing's that turn me off from the phone.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ah, and that GameKlip attatchement that I saw Joe88 post looks soo nice... >___<
Now I REALLY want to get a new phone, but if I did impulse and get one, it'd probably be between the Nexus and S III, whichever one I have enough money for on hand.

Most likely going to wait for December and see what Google does. Do you think Google is going to release the GT-i9260 [which is supposedly the successor for the Nexus] at their Google Play store?

mondegreene

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought a gnex a few days ago and like it so far, if storage space really is a problem there's always USB otg, although it might be cumbersome.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Huh... I just got the S III today since lack of expandable storage was an issue for me. Anyway, playing around with this is harder than expected... Used to that good ol' Nokia 3310 and this huge jump in upgrade is just ridiculous. Any recommendations on cases since this feels too light to me? And also, I am thinking about screen protectors, should I get one b/c I know Gorilla Glass is just scratch reistant but does not make it immune to scratches.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh... I just got the S III today since lack of expandable storage was an issue for me. Anyway, playing around with this is harder than expected... Used to that good ol' Nokia 3310 and this huge jump in upgrade is just ridiculous. Any recommendations on cases since this feels too light to me? And also, I am thinking about screen protectors, should I get one b/c I know Gorilla Glass is just scratch reistant but does not make it immune to scratches.
If you really need a screen protector, go with a clear one, not an anti-glare protector. As for the case, there are so many out there, you could check the Android Central store and then possibly buy the case from a cheaper shop ;)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could just buy an otterbox commuter (or defender if you want ultimate protection)

right now im using this case
http://www.amazon.com/Holster-Samsung-Kick-stand-T-mobile-Cellular/dp/B008FBEZDO/ref=pd_cp_cps_0

its a great case, like the look and feel for the price though the top and bottom are exposed
I also bought this case for really cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Soft-TPU-Gel-Case-Cover-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-i9300-2-PC-LCD-Guard-Clear-/180974215730?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=%2Bk%2BXWFKFraeLFv2SEc5CB3FZ0eo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

its covers the whole phone though im guessing not the greatest quality
edit: received it today and got scammed, item not as shown, doesnt cover the whole case, top and bottom exposed and it broke after trying to fit it on the phone, well at least it was only $1

looks like I will be buying this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Transparent-Hard-Case-Snap-on-Cover-For-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-III-i9300-i747-/180900473043?forcev4exp=true

now as far as screen protect goes, I dont use any, dont not fell a need for it
the only thing that will scratch the gorilla glass is sand and even then its a bit hard to scratch it even with sandpaper

though alot of people use tempered glass screen protectors for it and they even have colored screen protectors if you want to change the whole look of your s3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr