Gaddafi says "all my people love me"

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Vidboy10, Mar 1, 2011.

Mar 1, 2011
  1. Vidboy10
    OP

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    [youtube]jI4vlWbKFFw[/youtube]​
    Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi has told the BBC he is loved by all his people and has denied there have been any protests in Tripoli.

Col Gaddafi said that his people would die to protect him. He laughed at the suggestion he would leave Libya and said that he felt betrayed by the world leaders who had urged him to quit. US ambassador to the UN Susan Rice said the interview showed Col Gaddafi was "delusional" and "unfit to lead". World foreign ministers earlier condemned attacks on Libyan civilians and the European Union imposed sanctions including an arms embargo, asset freeze and travel ban on Col Gaddafi and his close entourage.

Col Gaddafi is facing a massive challenge to his 41-year rule, with protesters in control of towns in the east. He was speaking in an interview with the BBC Middle East editor Jeremy Bowen in Tripoli. Col Gaddafi accused Western countries of abandoning Libya and said that they had no morals and wanted to colonise the country.

When asked whether he would resign, he said he could not step down as he did not have an official position and insisted that the power was with the people.

Col Gaddafi challenged those, including UK Prime Minister David Cameron, who have accused him of having money abroad, to produce evidence.
    He said he would "put two fingers in their eye".
    Col Gaddafi said true Libyans had not demonstrated but those who had come on to the streets were under the influence of drugs supplied by al-Qaeda. He said those people had seized weapons and that his supporters were under orders not to shoot back. Ms Rice said Col Gaddafi was "frankly delusional".

"When he can laugh in talking to... journalists while he is slaughtering his own people, it only underscores how unfit he is to lead and how disconnected he is from reality," she said. Earlier, foreign ministers who had gathered at a UN human rights conference in Geneva called for Col Gaddafi to go. US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton accused Col Gaddafi and his followers of using "mercenaries and thugs" to attack unarmed civilians, and of executing soldiers who refused to turn their guns on fellow citizens. "It is time for Gaddafi to go, now, without further violence or delay," she said.

Mrs Clinton also said that although US naval vessels were being repositioned near Libya there was no military action pending.
    When asked whether the US would back Col Gaddafi going into exile, Mrs Clinton said: "If violence could be ended by his leaving... it might be a good step but we believe accountability must be obtained for what he has done."
    The US Treasury said it had blocked $30bn (£18.5bn) in Libyan assets - the largest sum it had ever frozen.
    US President Barack Obama met UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon at the White House on Monday and both expressed concern at the rising violence and called for a legitimately elected president.
    Mr Ban said of Col Gaddafi: "He lost legitimacy when he declared war on his people."

Although protesters have secured towns in the east, Col Gaddafi shows no signs of giving up in and around Tripoli. In Tajoura, a suburb of the capital, about 400 people protested against him on Monday, chanting: "The blood of martyrs won't go to waste." Gaddafi supporters have reportedly tried to break up the protest by firing into the air. Reporters say there have been long queues at banks in the capital as people tried to collect the 500 dinars ($410) promised to all families by the government in an attempt to quell the unrest.

There has been fighting in the coastal town of Misrata, 200km (125 miles) east of Tripoli, with Col Gaddafi's opponents repelling a government counter-attack. Anti-government forces still control Zawiya, 50km west of Tripoli, but pro-Gaddafi forces are surrounding the city. One resident told Reuters: "We are expecting attacks at any moment... They are in large numbers."

The BBC's Jim Muir says volunteers are helping to provide food and drink to those who manage to cross Libya's border with Tunisia, Libyan air force planes also reportedly attacked ammunition depots in the eastern towns of Ajdabiya and Rajma.
    Deputy foreign minister Khaled Kaim said the authorities would attempt to talk to protesters in the east, but added: "If all attempts and efforts for dialogue... are exhausted, a very well guided force will be used in accordance with international rules."
    About 100,000 people have fled anti-government unrest in Libya over the past week, the UN estimates.
    The exodus of Egyptian workers from western Libya began on Wednesday, but has since been intensifying, says the BBC's Jim Muir at the Ras Jdir border crossing with Tunisia. About 1,000 people an hour are crossing into Tunisia, he says.
    [/p]

[​IMG]Source

Edit: Aw damn, Could somebody change the title to Gaddafi says "all my people love me"?

2. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Wow. That guy sure is ignorant.

3. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    That or naive.

4. Stevetry

Banned Stevetry Most perverted person in GBATEMP

Puerto Rico
    the guy seen like a good fellow

5. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    He may have gotten away with this statement if not for the invention of the Internet. It's all the rage I hear.

6. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    He's neither. He's a power mad dictator trying to push propaganda in the hopes that it stops him ending up with the same necktie that Saddam Hussein was awarded. It would have worked 30 or 40 years ago as he would have been able to control all information released from his country. Like TwinRetro said, the internet stops that from being able to happen as information can be released by the people. Nazi, Germany would have been a very different situation if it had happened in the modern age.

7. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Very, very well said. Hopefully a lot of Libyans have access to the internet. I see this as a result from the recent happenings in Egypt.

8. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    This guy is completely mad. Just hear him talkling about "purging his country" if they continue to rebel... And also I hate him since the whole story with his son mistreating his domestics

9. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    Basically this times a million.

Power to the people!

10. 3rd eye

Banned 3rd eye Banned

United States
    I'll miss this guy but at least we'll still have charlie sheen's mad man rants to amuse us.

11. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    Gadaffi is pretty crazy: http://globalspin.blogs.time.com/2011/02/2...ait-of-gaddafi/

He wrote his speech in red crayon lol.

You gotta give him credit for the amazingly creative "drugged protestors" excuse though, that's pretty new. And the fact that he calls out for his "supporters" to help him. Funny guy, this one.

12. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

An attempt to confuse the masses. That's all there is to it.

13. Vidboy10
    OP

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    I didn't even knew Gaddafi could speak English.
    If this he survives and he doesn't commit suicide, I bet a shit ton of people would want to interview him.
    I really doubt he's going to survive this though, he has a lot of things on his back with this revolutionary war.

14. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Reminds me of Saddam Hussein and one of his ministers "There are no foreign troops in Iraq". This at the same time that the US & Co were tank rushing the country from the south [​IMG]

A very foolish way of doing things, sure you can blame Osama Bin Laden and Co, but if people want democracy or just plain food.. It just doesn't work.

-Qtis

15. Zantheo

Member Zantheo GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    [​IMG]

That is all.

16. giratina16

Member giratina16 Born This Way

United Kingdom
    He's bloody mad.

17. GundamXXX

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Australia
    I lol'd

Anyway Ive been following the whole Middle Eastern thing before it was cool... I kid

I have actually been following the Middle East since my egyptian friends told me about the protests they were organizing. This man is clearly insane
    I will copypaste what Ive said about the matter on a different website but a lot of people found it semi inspiring

Gaddafi, he is that weirdo that always comments on everything like he's drunk, regardless of the fact wether or not he really is drunk.
    Everyone smiles and nods and laughs with him, not because he's funny but because he might pull a knife on you and start stabbing.

This "man" was allowed to be the ruler of a nation. He is the Village Idiot of the UN and Nato.
    They (all other nations) let him stay in power. They didnt react untill it was too late.
    Now they all scream murder and fire, but where were you leaders of the rest of the world 10 years ago? 20 years ago? Thats right, nowhere.

The rest of the world didnt care about the Libyan people until they had to because they could no longer deny the revolution spreading in the Middle East. And now, only now, the UN Nato US etc supports free elections.
    Does this mean nothing will ever change unless we instigate a revolution?
    If thats the case I call to raise arms against capatalism, corruption, low wages, high petrol prices, money grabbing scoundrels (CEO's etc from the big companies) and lets drive them from their Ivory Towers.

TL;DR Fuck the hypocrite "support" and think ahead. Lets revolt against the world and show them the power of all the people and not just the Arabs and Koreans

18. whoomph

Member whoomph GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    great pic - except it's the best part of a megabyte (it could easily be a tenth of that size)
    well done on highlighting world stupidity.

free libya

19. narutofan777

Member narutofan777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Afghanistan
    this guy needs to get out right now

20. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    This just in; a picture of Gaddafi taken mere hours ago:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Seriously, though, how far in denial can someone get?