Gabe Newell: Apple is Valve's greatest competitor in the living room

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Qtis, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Qtis
    OP

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    As GBAtemp tends to focus a lot on the home consoles made by Microsoft, Sony and especially Nintendo, sometimes the info about other consoles and possible TV top sets come and go without being noticed that much. Ars posted an interesting article about Apple's unreleased, gaming capable TV top set (probably an AppleTV in all but name).

Below is a straight quote made by Valve co-founder Gabe Newell, whom most of you know, at the University of Texas LBJ School of Public Affairs.

Source

Do you think that the possibility of Apple's new ATV is a real competitor to the PC master race's beloved Steambox? Will consoles really be able to compete with the ATV with it's relatively low cost (around $100 at the moment)?

triassic911 likes this.

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Hi guys!
    [​IMG]
    Been out of the industry for a while, what did I miss?
    Am I the only one who sometimes thinks that Gabe lives in an alternate reality?

3. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    It would explain the cause of "Valve time,"

GameWinner, Vinnymac and Foxi4 like this.
  4. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Because Angry Birds and Temple Run are definitely competitors to Call of Duty.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  5. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    Excuse me, kind sirs, but wtf is that? :blink:

6. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Considering Apple are swimming in lakes of money thanks to their cut from the profits of iOS game sales and considering Apple have a blind brainwashed cultlike userbase that even Nintendo would envy Gabe might be right to be concerned. If Apple released a home console tomorrow we would probably see scenes reminiscent of the early days of the wii.

7. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    I can see it now...a console full of lame casual and pay to play games just like the rest of the IOS crap. yeah they're a real threat!

8. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden

Actually I am surprised Apple didn't sue Sony for the banana/boomerang controller prototype design for the ps3..... ;P

Foxi4 likes this.
  9. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Also known as "the real world".

frogboy likes this.
  10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I wonder what those rumblings of MS putting out an XBLA only (with a heavy focus on streamed video) console would do to this scenario. Equally although the streaming is awful and the players that much better the PS3 does also see use as a blu ray player.

11. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Well, isn't the valve system going to be pretty pricey? Can't really compete with consoles if the only people who will buy it are the ones who would buy a gaming PC anyway. I think technically Apple would be "winning" in sales because of this, but not necessarily quality. PC has a whole world of games to offer and iOS has... Temple Run 2 and Angry Birds as it's most popular offering.

12. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    ewwww what's that?

13. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
  14. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I'm a bit skeptical. Apple certainly has a huge ingrained audience, sure, but people buy their laptops, tablets, phones, etc. for the portability. That's the whole appeal. Will these same people want to spend hundreds of dollars on something tethered to their living room?

Even if it has the Apple brand slapped on it, I'm not so sure.

15. Dann Woolf

Member Dann Woolf Deadpan Snarker

Netherlands
    No apple is too big for Gabe Newell to eat!

16. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
  17. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Valve isn't developing a single system, they're basically just working with a bunch of hardware manufacturers who are making their own "living room PCs" and supporting them with Steam. I think.

As much as everyone hates Apple they're simply the biggest name in electronics today. It's hard to deny them as a threat when they draw more revenue from hardware and software than most any other company.

18. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Fortunately Apple's popularity in the portable market is dwindling as consumers realize that their products aren't designed for certain aspects, like the iPad fails as a business tablet and the iPhone isn't exactly the most widely recognized brand among businessmen. Apple isn't that popular in the home computer market, so what makes Gabe think that Apple creating a TV based gaming system is a competitor to Valve? Apple really wouldn't be much of a threat to anyone because they don't have much market penetration in the home entertainment sector. I hope he realizes that if Valve releases a home console, and Apple does too, the home console market will become even more over saturated then it already is. It's bad enough having 3 consoles, having 5 home console platforms would kill the industry.

19. RodrigoDavy

Member RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    I have the impression that companies tend to forget about Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony which are more traditional in this market, admitedelly with a different kind of product but, let's face it, they have the same purpose. Also, the only reason Apple is so popular with smartphones, tablets and even computers to some extent is because the company entered these market very early when these devices weren't even popular.

Want it or not, Apple have no real experience with gaming like Valve and I don't think they would succeed having to compete against either home consoles or these new kinds of TV PC consoles :wacko:

I hope Valve goes way, since they are giving a lot of support for Linux because of this Steam box, now I can play Half-Life and CS in my linux PC! :lol:

20. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I don't think Apple has really been about appealing to business or industry. Almost any major industry with a computer infrastructure uses Windows. It's cheaper to buy a large amount of boring PCs in bulk and slap Windows on them. Apple computers are meant more for "specialty" fields or for personal use. Like Apple products are a lot more streamlined so most things are already optimized and it isn't too finicky. Like a lot of people use it for film production (editing, graphics, etc). Personally I've edited on both (one a couple thousand dollar iMac, the other a much less expensive but still pretty decent quality HP tower at my school) and I don't see much of a difference, but some people like it like that.

iPads have never been about being "business tablets", they're meant for personal use. So games, movies, browsing the web, not really doing work. iPhones, I don't see how they're any less "business" than an Android phone (I own an Android phone for reference), most of them have the same apps and functions, only difference arguably is that Android phones are more open (not something needed for businessmen).

Apple has its niche and I think even the most seasoned fanboys know that. They may not like the niche but they realize there's a reason huge companies or businesses choose Windows over Mac.

Also Apple continues to do well because they have a serious install base. Say what you want about our Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony fanboys, very few are as dedicated as it is when it comes to Apple and certainly not as large. Even Nintendo fans here, for instance, didn't want a Wii U at launch, a long hyped Nintendo home console arriving several years after the Wii U, but Apple fans will go buy a new iPad at launch, 5 months after the last iteration.

porkiewpyne likes this.