GAB, a social network that promote free speech a bit too much

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Noctosphere, Oct 30, 2018.

1. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    There's too much free speech goin on!

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Them having to change registrar was a very big one for me.

You kind of expect hosting companies to wimp out from time to time (though it reflects poorly on them in this case) but registrar, payment providers and more bailing for no justifiable (or provided) reason... yeah.

Quite often I see the comment "if you don't like it then go make your own", and it seems they did here. However it seems they are also going to have to make their own credit card provider, registrar, hosting and more. That or we will finally have to do the distributed thing or maybe a really nice web portal to TOR or something for those that don't need full TOR protections but do need simple access.

But anyway those saying this was too much do you have an example of a site with good rules? Obviously Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and each of their attendant properties are out so what do we have now? Or if such a thing does not exist care to share at least an overview of the sorts of rules you would expect (though I suppose it would not be a free speech forum).

3. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Well stalking, harassment, kidnapping, and murder are all actions that transcend simple speech. I feel there is a big difference between saying "I'll kill you for that!" And actually intending to carry that out.
    Except for the physical violence part, it sounds fair to me. My opinion is that once you ban one form of speech, it opens the door take away more and more, until something like making fun of the president gets you arrested. Making fun if the president is something we as Americans take for granted, where it would get you killed in somewhere like North Korea. One of the major reasons free speech is important to me.

dAVID_ likes this.
  4. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Well, AFAIK, "death threats" are only considered illegal if they're considered credible; ie, there has to be some evidence they intend to carry them out (or at least something similar). Otherwise, like you suggested earlier, it just tends to get an investigation by police/the FBI and that's usually enough to stop most people from continuing the practice.

Attacker3 and Subtle Demise like this.
  5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Also proving why censorship is the pusillanimous route for many governments to take.

CallmeBerto and Subtle Demise like this.
  6. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto Vigilante

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    Easier to control the average citizen. Just look at how well North Korea has done it.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  7. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Gab was shut down, no? Some of the investors were perfectly fine with white supremacy because they themselves were white supremacists, but ultimately no site is going to want to be associated with that from the top down. Free speech doesn't need to include inciting or encouraging terrorist acts, and that shit is inevitable in areas of the net with a heavy alt-right presence. Even Reddit's The_Donald still makes a lot of posts with violent implications.

8. dAVID_

dAVID_ Carpinter's Apprentice

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    The Game
    4chan has been doing this since 2003.

Subtle Demise and CallmeBerto like this.
  9. Attacker3

Attacker3 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Underground, in my mother's basement.
    Get off our platform, go make your own!
    Owners of GAB makes their own platform
    NooOooOOoooo stop it!!!!