G6Real Internal Memory

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by cribby08, Oct 18, 2007.

Oct 18, 2007

G6Real Internal Memory by cribby08 at 4:22 PM (1,288 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. cribby08
    OP

Member cribby08 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was thinking of getting a g6real 2 gig, and I was wonding if the internal memory is the g6 real was superior to the microsd japan kingston. What I mean is; is the g6real internal memory faster and does it play games better than the Japan kingston 2gb card.

Thanks.

2. Eclipse0219

Newcomer Eclipse0219 Member

United States
    I never tried a card with external memory so I wouldn't know about it, but my G6 Real has never had any lag at all.

3. ejamer

Newcomer ejamer Member

Canada
    Yes, the internal memory is faster. The external Kingston micro-SD cards (in an R4 slot-1 card, for example) usually work fine, but *occasionally* run into problems with demanding ROMs where the game can freeze. A common example given is during the Castlevania DS games, apparently, although I've never tried those ones myself.

My personal experience is that there are some benefits to internal memory -- and never having to worry about speed is one of the best. But there are also some drawbacks to the G6 Real card, most notably less than perfect homebrew support and occasional problems with memory corruption (which I'm sure has something to do with file access when running homebrew, but I can't prove it yet).

Frankly, none of the solutions available right now are "perfect". But I am very happy with my G6 Real and wouldn't trade it for any other card on the market... at least, not right now. [​IMG] If you are looking for a solid card, this one or the R4 are two of the best choices in my opinion.

4. h8uthemost

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yes, the internal memory is superior to any microsd card. At least in my experiences. Not that Japan made microsd's are slow, or bad though. Just nothing is faster than internal NAND memory.

Get a 16G G6 Real, and that'll be more than enough memory. Unless you want games, music, and movies on your DS. But really, I don't know why anyone would want to use the DS to listen to music or watch movies.

5. cribby08
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the replys. So far to me the g6real looks like the best card for my taste. I'm going to order the 2gig and give it a shot. I hope it will be compatible with the m3real gba card attachment.

Now I have to find the cheapest and most reliable place to get the 2gig version of the g6real [​IMG]

Thanks again for the quick responses.

6. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    is it compatible with 3-in-1 ?

7. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    I do. i don't feel like buying a pmp. DS is cool for media [​IMG]

8. cribby08
    OP

United States
    Does anyone happen to know the read speed of the internal memory on the g6 real? I did a test on my kingston 1 gig japan and it was 10.1 MB/s. I wonder if the g6 is faster.

Thanks

9. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    It doesn't really matter as long as you know it runs all games fine [​IMG]

10. cribby08
    OP

United States
    Still wondering how fast it is compared to kingston japan 1gig

11. bulletmark

Member bulletmark GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    FYI, I never run homebrew and also have never seen a corruption on my G6 Real 2GB so there's some support for your theory.

12. ejamer

Newcomer ejamer Member

Canada
    Yeah, I'm a huge fan of media on my DS -- especially the excellent eBook support provided by the built-in Media Extend application. MP3 playback quality isn't the best, but is more than good enough for podcasts and audiobooks. Video quality isn't as good as the PSP, but I'm satisfied with it (partly because I don't want many movies on the go).

Throw in the DSOrganize homebrew application, and your DS suddenly becomes one of the best travel toys around. [​IMG]