G6DS Real

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by 4saken, Jul 19, 2007.

Jul 19, 2007

G6DS Real by 4saken at 1:00 PM (1,163 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. 4saken
    OP

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    I've taken a fresh interest in the G6DS Real (if anybody can remember, I was a firm advocate for purchasing the G6DS Real prior to the April release). Can somebody who has a G6DS Real please answer some questions before I go off and buy a 2GB one. Most of the stuff is just aesthetics related. I'm sure somebody could help me [​IMG]

1. How does the G6DS Real case compare to the R4's or CycloDS (or a retail card for that matter) in terms of ease of removal and insertion?

2. From the screenshots I've seen, it looks like the G6DS R is only capable of displaying filenames in the NDS menu. Is it possible to change them to show game headers (like the Cyclo DS and R4 do? - currently only 1 of 2 reasons I want to keep my CycloDS Evo)? From the looks of it, the menu shows 4 games at once, and most of the space is just empty.

3. How would you describe the G6DS menu. Is it easy to use, frustrating (I heard there were touch screen precision errors), or what?

Thanks this is all I wanted. Screenshots don't really compare to opinions [​IMG]

2. h8uthemost

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    1) It is a very well made cart. It has a great build to it.

There is a chip sticking out, but it's no big deal. The only thing it affects on my DS, is when you take it out. It's a little snug when you pull it out of the handheld. But it's not bad at all. You know how with the Evo you have to push down real hard to get it to click in the DS? It's nothing like that with the G6 Real. That's the only gripe I have with the Evo.

2) You know what, I'm not too sure with this. I always properly rename my roms before putting them on a cart, and I forget how they show up on the Real. Unfortunately, I'm not at home, so I can't check my DS right now.

3) This is one of my main reasons why the G6 Real is my favorite cart. The menu is beautiful(especially with ProjectVirtue's skin). I love the Touchpod's layout. This is why I liked the G6 Lite so much. And it is extremely ease to use.

Everything can be done by touching the screen. And with firmware 2.2, the touch screen calibration is just about perfect. I have no more frustrations with the touch screens responsive. Everything I touch with the stylus now registers on the first try. Touch screen calibration is perfect on the G6 Lite, so I knew they would get it working well on the G6 Real too.

I definitely recommend this cart. I traded in the 8G for the 16G, that's how much I love it.

3. mauru

Newcomer mauru Newbie

France
    hi,
    i already have a g6 lite and i was thinking about buying a g6ds real 16g, do you think i'll be able to use opera
    with the g6 lite + g6real?

thanks

4. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    Yes, with the correct patch to the Opera ROM.

Thanks for the reply h8uthemost. Truthfully, this thread was targeted at you because I knew you had both the CycloDS Evo and G6DSR, but why not let other people give their opinion too.

What makes the G6DS Real menu so nice, compared to say the R4 or CycloDS Evo's menu?

I also found ProjectVirtue's skin. Looks great [​IMG]

5. ninjya

Newcomer ninjya Advanced Member

Hope h8uthemost sees this topic again.
    As the thread i started a while ago with a poll to it, it shows that i'm standing between the purchase of a Cyclo, R4 or G6 Real.

Through the poll the stats pretty much are:
    Cyclo 20
    R4 35
    G6 Real 10

But when i read in this section of the forum it feels like the g6 should get more love since you people praise it to the skies [​IMG]

So i was hoping you could do a fast comparison. Thank you for your time.

6. Bungoo

Newcomer Bungoo Newbie

United States
    where can I download different skins for the G6 REAL or arethey not available yet?

7. h8uthemost

United States
    I'm glad I could help. And it's hard for me to really describe why I like the G6 Lite/Real menu so much. I just really like Touchpod. I thought it was the best menu since I got a G6 Lite. Everything is just laid out perfectly. There's no clutter. It's just really nice. And with the Real, when you double tap a game to start, it goes to a separate screen for to enable cheats and soft reset. And this menu is laid out really nice too. And when you go to soft reset the game, you don't have to go into a separate menu for it happen. I really don't like that about the Evo.

I don't know, ever since I saw the first video of the Evo(on Pharaoh's review), I didn't like the menu. It looks exactly like the R4's, with those three icons. And I like the R4's menu. It's laid out better than the Evo's. The cheat option is displayed right under the game option. So you don't get a window asking you everytime if you want to enable cheats.

I saw you were selling your Evo, and I honestly have been thinking about it too. It's just an R4 with perfect download play. And I think the R4 will get this perfected soon. And I know the G6 Real. The G6 team has been improving it with each new firmware, so they'll have it perfected soon.

So yeah...sorry I can't be anymore specific about its menu. It's just the look and layout that makes it so nice.

And Ninji, put me down for the G6 Real too.

8. ninjya

Do any of you know the cheapest place to get the G6Real? With shipping to Sweden that doesn't cost an arm and a leg [​IMG]

9. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    Thanks for the replies everyone. If you want it cheap, dealextreme has the 1GB one for 57 USD total

10. ninjya

Yeah i saw that. But I'm out for the 2gig version [​IMG]
    Too bad Dealextreme doesn't have that, i like them :/

11. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    I asked them about it, and they said they would consider asking their supplier for more information

12. ninjya

Thank you for your help 4saken. Please do send me a message if you hear from them.
    Or find another option with the same prices [​IMG]

13. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    Well ozmodchips told me they are stocking the 2GB one too, with free shipping, but that would only be within Australia [​IMG] I'm probably going to get mine from there once they put the page up.

Divineo has many European branches, so you could try there

14. ninjya

Dinieo always double the prices if you buy from the european ones. Atleast it feels like it ^^;

Darn you Australians! You get the 2gb one and kangaroos [​IMG] j/k

Edit: Was thinking about getting it from divineo.cn but h8uthemost says they only ship the cart, not the box and stuff. So I'm afraid they forget the things you should be getting with the cart.

15. h8uthemost

United States
    Well, that's what a couple of posters has been saying lately. They said their CycloDS didn't come with anything. Just the cart came.

So if you want to get it from Divineo, I would email them first and re-assure you that you're getting everything. The box, game case(the one like the R4/M3 Simply came with), the strap that goes on the game case, usb cable, and cd should all be included with your order.

Anyways, I got mine from RHS. They're not as cheap as some other places, but they are the best site in my opinion. If you want it cheap, I would wait a little while and see if DealExtreme gets it in. But...they just started carrying the 8G model, so you might be waiting a little bit for the 16G.