G6DS-Real - Filesystem Errors

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by pootman, Jul 18, 2007.

?
  1. No problems - Built-in format (FAT)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No problems - MS Windows Utility (FAT)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No problems - MS Windows Utility (FAT32)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No problems - Mac/Linux/Other (FAT)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No problems - Mac/Linux/Other (FAT32)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Read/write errors - Built-in format (FAT)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Read/write errors - MS Windows Utility (FAT)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Read/write errors - MS Windows Utility (FAT32)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Read/write errors - Mac/Linux/Other (FAT)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Read/write errors - Mac/Linux/Other (FAT32)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pootman
    OP

pootman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2007
    I've noticed that every time my card's filesystem karks it, it's straight after I delete something from the card (leaving non-contiguous space) and then write something new to the card (probably resulting in a fragmented file).

Can anyone else having problems confirm if that's what happened to them?

I've found that dumping the whole card to my hard-drive, making changes, and writing it all back again never produces an error. But it is a long-winded pain in the rump.

(Absolutely fantastic card other than that, I'm hoping that switching to FAT32 will stop the errors I'm getting.

2. ugly_rose

ugly_rose GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 7, 2006
    Uhh.... I have never formatted the card. There was never any need for it so to say. [​IMG]

How do I even know what file system I have on the card? :S

Isn't it also that the G6's system files are designed to work with one particular file system?

3. pootman
    OP

pootman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2007
    Could be - the in-built formatter creates FAT(16) but I've had constant problems with it. I'm now trying FAT32 to see if it's more reliable, and since there's a few threads on here about rw-errors I thought I'd try something vaguely productive.

ps. If you've never formatted it, i'd like to know what the factory default filesystem is.

4. BlazerRazor

BlazerRazor GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2005
    From the readme;

5. pootman
    OP

pootman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2007
    Thanks, Sherlock.
    You might be surprised to hear it, since I'm clearly the kind of chap who listed two compatible filesystems; three operating systems; and acknowledged the existence of further operating systems, but I have actually read the readme...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice