Morse2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have had my g6 a while and had no problems at all, that was until thismorning. I turned on my DS and everything loaded as normal (however no games appeared in the G6 selection menu, in both the NDS and GBA sections. I connected the cart to my PC and checked that the card had not somehow formatted itself, but everything was fine, the games were still exactly where they should of been. I tried a Fat16 format in windows, and then copied another game back on, but the same thing happened. I then tried a format using the MPutility from the g6flash website, and followed the guide on these forums for carrying out a format. After the format I copied a game across and still nothing is showing in the G6 menu?

I then thought that maybe updating the firmware of the cartridge (4.6c) might fix the issue, however I recived an error when using the gba menu method and strange numbers on the screen when using the a+b+start+select method. I know that these are attributed to having not formatted in Fat16, but I have formated this thing 3-4 times now following the guide on these forums word for word.

What am I doing wrong? or has my cart just killed itself?

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!

Morse2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cheers for the tip, I have already done this, the chip is clean.

I really don't know what the problem is.

I tried doing the memory test and memory wipe using the secret codes at the green text screen, while these didn't work, it did give me an extra 1Mb of space on the cart after formatting (500Mb but previously 499Mb).

However now I cannot enter gba mode, it freezes at the blue screen with the cursor on it, but NDS mode still appears to work fine, but no games show.

Morse2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok quick update. I was previously trying to upgrade the firmware with 4.6c english, and when this was on the cart I couldn't access the gba menu or flash (number errors).

However I just put the chinese 4.6d loader onto the cart and it loads the gba menu, and lets me attempt to flash using both methods, however when I start it it says "error please download the english version".

There is no english version of 4.6d loader yet is there?

Morse2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WOohoo. Problem Solved. By a massive stroke of luck.

Despite my G6 being an english G6 with 4.6c firmware prior to it killing itself. It seems that by purely placeing the chinese 4.6d firmware on the root dir of the cart I can now see and play my NDS and GBA roms \o/.

I'm have no idea why this worked, but I feel kinda lucky that it is working.

Morse2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm, not entirely sure it did now. As I am back at square one.

It worked fine, but as soon as I added some more games onto the cart it was back to not being able to see any games in the menu.

When I format the cart using MPutility, do I need to flash it afterwards, or does the firmware remain in tact?

I have a sneaking suspition the cart is dead, as it should work fine after a format, but formatting it seems to make no difference.

cloud19573

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
From my own experience of formatting the G6lite with MPutility, I can only access the GBA menu and not the DS menu. So you must download the latest firmware and update your G6lite from your GBA menu using an icon which should be at the bottom left corner (if I remember correctly). Restart your G6lite and you should be able to access your DS menu...hope it helps
wink.gif

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, not entirely sure it did now. As I am back at square one.

It worked fine, but as soon as I added some more games onto the cart it was back to not being able to see any games in the menu.

When I format the cart using MPutility, do I need to flash it afterwards, or does the firmware remain in tact?

I have a sneaking suspition the cart is dead, as it should work fine after a format, but formatting it seems to make no difference.

The firmware stays in tact, it doesn't touch that part of the onboard memory on the G6. My suggestions is maybe also look into properly removing your g6 in terms of safety removing or ejecting the drive before removal.

Morse2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
From my own experience of formatting the G6lite with MPutility, I can only access the GBA menu and not the DS menu. So you must download the latest firmware and update your G6lite from your GBA menu using an icon which should be at the bottom left corner (if I remember correctly). Restart your G6lite and you should be able to access your DS menu...hope it helps wink.gif

Hey cheers for the advice. The problem is I can't flash my firmware no matter what I try, be it though the 'holding buttons down' method or though the button in the gba menu. Both methods give me an error either saying that I havn't formatted using FAT16 (which I have) or that I am trying to flash using the wrong region firmware. I do know what I am doing as far as flashing, updating, formatting goes, however the cart just won't let me.

I flashed my cart to 4.6c last time I remember, and it went fine, and has been fine for over a month. Just one morning it didn't show any games on the cart.

QUOTEThe firmware stays in tact, it doesn't touch that part of the onboard memory on the G6. My suggestions is maybe also look into properly removing your g6 in terms of safety removing or ejecting the drive before removal.

I always safely remove the hardware, from reading the forums these past few months, I know I should do that much. It's good to know that the firmware doesn't need updating, so I will stop trying.

I do have a little new information to provide on whatever the hell is happening though.

I added Final Fantasy 3 to my cart last night, and it was working fine for a while. Feeling lucky, I then added several more games to the cart and when I loaded it in the DS none of them appeared, being at my wits end I left it and went to bed. When I woke up thismorning I turned on the DS to find that the games appeard, strange? So I tried loading up the new startrek game, and it gave me a black screen straight away. I thought I would try it again, and it loaded, only it black screened after the intro movie... Being persistant I tried again, this time it got as far as the menu and even let me play.

Someone must have experienced something like this...

After playing with this cart for the last few days I have figured out this much:

The Problem: The cart shows no DS games in the NDS menu, but the menu appears to work fine. When this problem occurs I am also unable to access to gba menu as it freezes on a blue screen with the cursor showing. However often I can get access to the gba menu but it requires waiting for around 2-3 minuites, after which selecting any options make the cart freeze.

The Solution: Well I have tried formatting the card several times so far using MPUtility, and it appears to do nothing to solve the problem, which leads me to belive that this is not a corruption problem. The other thing that leads me to belive that this is not a corruption problem is that if the cartridge is left for a period of time, the games appear again, or games can be sucsessfully added to the cartridge. This is the only way I have found to solve the problem so far.

I know the G6 has an internal battery, it couldn't be something to do with this could it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there