G6 slow as hell to load

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Yoshimashin, Dec 11, 2006.

Dec 11, 2006

G6 slow as hell to load by Yoshimashin at 4:04 AM (816 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Yoshimashin
    OP

Member Yoshimashin Penguin Spy

United States
    I put Minish Cap on my G6, but the damn game takes a LONG while to load. I could load a 100MB DS game maybe 3 times by the time it takes that game to load. It runs perfectly, I just dont understand why it takes so long?

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    GBA games have to be copied to the G6's on-board RAM before they can run. For the largest games this could take almost 30 seconds. If you compress the rom with the U-disk manager it will take about 3-4 times as long.

NDS games load faster because they can be run directly from the flash memory without being copied first.

3. Yoshimashin
    OP

United States
    Its almost not worth it.

4. sixb0nes

Member sixb0nes GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    What do you mean "it's not worth it."? You have access to every* gba and nds game for free, and you're complaining because some gba games take up to 30 seconds? Pathetic.

5. Destructobot

United States
    Minish Cap loads in 12 seconds on my G6. If it takes much longer than that on your G6 (without compression) then there may be something wrong with it.

6. Yoshimashin
    OP

United States
    Its compressed.

7. Destructobot

United States
    Don't compress your GBA roms. You'll probably find the increased loading speed well worth the extra space the games take up uncompressed.

8. Yoshimashin
    OP

United States
    Fair enough. I dont have to transfer my saves to and from, do I? Can I just delete the ROM and recopy it, saying that it has the same file name?

9. Destructobot

United States
    Better safe than sorry. You should back up your saves whenever you do something you haven't done before.

When you delete a game with the U-disk manager it will delete the game's saves as well. I don't know what it will do if you try to overwrite a game, or if there are already save files for a game when it copies it to the card. It may overwrite the saves that were already there with new blank save files. You might be able to re-transfer the game without affecting the saves, but I wouldn't bet on it.

edit: You may already know this, but always start up the G6 in the DS and let it process the save data before backing up or restoring saves.

10. Yoshimashin
    OP

United States
    Alright, thanks for the help.