G6 Save States

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by JayLv99, Jun 24, 2007.

Jun 24, 2007

G6 Save States by JayLv99 at 12:13 AM (931 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. JayLv99
    OP

Newcomer JayLv99 Member

United States
    I've been playing Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 for GBC using Goomba on my DS with a G6 Lite Flash Cartridge.

I would like to make a computer backup of my saves, however due to an odd glitch I've only been able to play using save states.

Does anyone know where the G6 locates its save states for a game?

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The G6's save states are stored in the .is0, .is1 or .is2 file, depending on which slot you saved it to in the in-game menu. If you are using Goomba's save states (if Goomba even has save states), they would be stored in the .0 file.

All of these files are in the GBA folder on the G6.

3. JayLv99
    OP

Newcomer JayLv99 Member

United States
    Alrighty, they must be held within the .0 file - Goomba does have save states. I didn't realize those could be saved into the .0 file.

Thank you very much! I'll go ahead and do a save check right now and see if that's the case and then edit this post with the results.

EDIT

STRANGE OCCURANCE: I SET UP A SAVE VIA STATES, BACKED UP MY ENTIRE CARD ONTO MY COMPUTER, LOADED UP THE GAME AGAIN AND MOVED TO A DIFFERENT AREA, SAVED THE STATE, AND REMOVED THE FLASH CARD. I THEN LOADED THE BACKUP OF MY CARTRIDGE BACK ONTO THE CARD, ERASING THE ENTIRE CARD AS IS AND REPLACING EVERY FILE WITH ITS BACKED UP STATE.

Logically this should have replaced my save with its prior state, however I booted it up and it's STILL THERE. STILL AT THE SPOT THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ERASED.

Holy crap. There must be some backup memory somewhere that's unaccessible.
    >_>

4. Destructobot

United States
    The G6 keeps the current save in SRAM during gameplay, and it doesn't get written to the file until the next time you load the G6 menu.

You have to start up the G6 in the DS/GBA and let it copy the save to the file before backing up or restoring save files. If you don't, a save you back up may not be the current one, or a save you are restoring may be overwritten.

5. JayLv99
    OP

Newcomer JayLv99 Member

United States
    I've had odd occurences with the Save States being overwritten when I run other DS/GBA games before, which is one reason I want to back them up first.

Any suggestions?

6. Destructobot

United States
    Did you put the emulator on the G6 using the U-Disk Manager? If you don't use the U-Disk Manager and run the emulator from the games menu, you won't be able to back up the saves on the cart, and there will be nothing to prevent other games or emulators from overwriting the save data.

7. JayLv99
    OP

Newcomer JayLv99 Member

United States
    I am using the Goomba that came pre-loaded on my G6
    Is there any way, perhaps under the "Manage SRAM" menu option, for me to do something with it?

8. Destructobot

United States
    I don't have a G6 anymore, and I can't remember exactly what the options are in the save menu, but if there is an "SRAM -> Default" option (or something similar), that might write the save in SRAM to .0 file for the game you have selected.