Custom title
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I wrote a small app to do 2 things. 1. Convert save files to usable G6/M3 saves and 2. reteach programming to me.

Let me know how this works. Btw, this requires the .net framework

This will convert save formats to those readable by the G6 (and others using .sav such as SuperCard). All output files will be properly sized.

Supported input formats:

*.dat (M3 DS/GBA with autodetect)
*.dss (Action Replay DS)
*.duc (Action Replay DS)
*.sav (Generic)
*.sps (Gameshark GBA)

Supported output formats:
*.0-*.2
*.sav

http://www.lalilulelo.net/G6SaveConverterv033.rar requires the .net framework
http://www.lalilulelo.net/G6SaveConverterv033fullinstall.rar for those w/o .net

edit: v0.33 fixed a bug in output being 0KB

blinkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice app
smile.gif

Btw, does G6 read M3 saved game files?

outphase

Custom title
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I decided to try the app before posting.

First up was a metroid prime hunters M3 save (.dat) which I turned to .0 (.sav) save and it worked.
Next was the action replay save (.duc) to .0 which worked as well.

I didn't bother to try the supercard save as it is the same save type as mentioned.

I tried both formats (.dat/.duc) with Castlevania DoS as well and it worked flawlessly.

Excellent app outphase
laugh.gif

outphase

Custom title
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
.dst action replay saves are a bit buggy right now. gonna tinker around with it today. until then, only .dat .duc .sps and .sav work properly

outphase

Custom title
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I added in .xps functionality, fixed .sps reading and removed .dst. If there are any problems, post them here.

edit: .xps taken back out, thought it was a gameshark save
frown.gif

fatfree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question.

I notice that all i have to do is rename *.sav files from VisualBoy Advance emulator to *.0 and G6 Lite will read it. But I can't do this vice versa.....

... does that program do reverse conversion? Like ,converting G6 saves back to the small size files used in emulators?

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can do it vice versa. I've done it myself. (In fact I just did this 3 days ago to copy my final fantasy 4 advance save over back to VBA...simply copied and pasted the save file from the flash cart, then deleted the "old" save in VBA, then renamed the G6L's save file (that was now on my HDD in the VBA folder) to the exact name of the deleted file).

(the easiest way to do this is to first, copy and paste the 0 file to VBA folder, 2) right click the old save file in VBA and choose "rename", then right click again (make sure the name of the file is highlighted, and the file has a rectangle outline around it) and choose "Copy", then finally, press escape to get out of rename mode, then delete that old save file, and then right click on the 0 file, choose"rename", then right click again and choose "paste". Or just use control C and V.

If it's not working, then it means that the G6 didn't write the sram data to the flash cart yet--you need to turn off and on the NDS/L at least once for the saves to be written to the disk.

I do NOT know if this will work with "Save States", however...(either forwards or back...)

fatfree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can do it vice versa. I've done it myself. (In fact I just did this 3 days ago to copy my final fantasy 4 advance save over back to VBA...simply copied and pasted the save file from the flash cart, then deleted the "old" save in VBA, then renamed the G6L's save file (that was now on my HDD in the VBA folder) to the exact name of the deleted file).

(the easiest way to do this is to first, copy and paste the 0 file to VBA folder, 2) right click the old save file in VBA and choose "rename", then right click again (make sure the name of the file is highlighted, and the file has a rectangle outline around it) and choose "Copy", then finally, press escape to get out of rename mode, then delete that old save file, and then right click on the 0 file, choose"rename", then right click again and choose "paste". Or just use control C and V.

If it's not working, then it means that the G6 didn't write the sram data to the flash cart yet--you need to turn off and on the NDS/L at least once for the saves to be written to the disk.

I do NOT know if this will work with "Save States", however...(either forwards or back...)

Hm.. it's not working for me. what I did was transferred the VBA save file to the G6. After verifying it loaded up, I tried to transfer it back to VBA, but it wouldn't read it. I use the normal saves, not the instant save if that matters.

The game I am testing this out is Zelda - Minish Cap.

outphase

Custom title
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
VBA won't read the save files because they're oversized compared to what they should be. They are oversized because it's all the G6 will take. Try trimming the file and it should work fine... I think.

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VBA won't read the save files because they're oversized compared to what they should be. They are oversized because it's all the G6 will take. Try trimming the file and it should work fine... I think.

Yep, here is my reply in the other thread.

"Ok I got it to work but it isn't easy.

you have to HEX EDIT the file and DELETE The bytes after "8191"=8k. Since 0 is the very first offset and is a value (the numbers start at 0, NOT 1), you delete the bytes from 8192 onward (8192=2000h). Delete everything from 2000h onward and VBA will recognize the save data.

So I was right; it's a matter of the save being too big for what VBA expects for the game.
I don't know why Final fantasy 4 advance works; probably because the save is already 64k.

Outphase, you think you could add this to your convertor?
"

(note: this doesn't apply to all save files; compare the save size and the LAST offset on VBA to find out what needs to be trimmed).

outphase

Custom title
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would implement a save trimmer except I can't think of any good algorithm yet. I'd have to be able to autodetect save size and I can't think of how I would just yet.

Child Abuser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried to run the app and get:

The application failed to initialiize properly (0xc0000135. Click on OK to terminate the application.

am i missing a *.DLL ?

fatfree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not fully understanding what this app actually does.

What I think it does is convert *.sav files to *.0 files right?
If that is what it actually does, you don't need this app at all when all it requires is the extension to be renamed.... right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn