Hacking G6 Real...any cons?

DexDex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been researching all types of flash cards to purchase, but after waiting entirely too long for the EVO, I'm considering going with the G6 Real. I like the concept of internal memory. Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy this cart?

Anyone have a great place to purchase one? The best I can find if realhotstuff.com. Let me know. Thanks guys.

crsdefiance

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only real complaint that I have heard with this card is limited homebrew support, but overall my experience with this card has been wonderful, and I haven't experienced a single problem with it. I ordered a second G6 from realhotstuff two days ago for a gift, and it arrived in the mail this morning, so that site definitely gets my recommendation, since the card arrived so quickly on the cheapest shipping, with absolutely no problems whatsoever. If you're looking for a solid card for running commercial roms, I would highly recommend the G6 Real

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use my G6Real for playing backups...and only backups.....and the only con is the ultra awesomeness.... my friends are often envious.... no patching...no waiting on new releases...Wii connectivity..... for playing DS games its just bad ass.... and Im still using 2.2 firmware!

Trippy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hasn't the homebrew been fixed now?
and how did your purchase arrive, in the mailbox? I'm curious cause I'm looking into realhotstuff as well
smile.gif

AntvgX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
The biggest problem known so far(according to g6 forum) is many g6 readers are done not very good and tend to vrake after a little while.

crsdefiance

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hasn't the homebrew been fixed now?
and how did your purchase arrive, in the mailbox? I'm curious cause I'm looking into realhotstuff as well
smile.gif

I've heard some people saying that they are still having issues with homebrew, but I personally haven't toyed around with it much. As for realhotstuff though, my card came via USPS and was nicely packaged in a very sturdy box that fit the G6 box very snugly. As I said, I used the cheapest shipping option, and it still arrived in only two days for me, so I was highly impressed and would recommend them again, no doubt.

TheNeck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have the G6 Real 16Gb, and its awesome. You wont regret it, the only problem I have with it, is the price, im a cheap bastard but I still forked over the $ to get the 16Gb just in case I need the space, which so far I dont, all I play is games in on it and have no problems.

Dealextreme's n-card is the cheapest internal memory flash card by far. It's $30!! Plus, it has 100% compatibility, no slowdowns not even with castlevania or tony hawk.

wii_will_rule,
is the n-card alot better than the DS Fire Link, or pretty much the same? Looking to get either of these for xmas presents.

ejamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Any cons? None of the cards available are perfect yet, they all have cons of some type. The G6 Real does many things very well, and I think it is entirely worth the asking price! But because you asked about cons, I will only talk about the bad stuff below.

List of cons:

(1) It's biggest weakness is that there can be occasional file corruption on the card, forcing you to reformat and then copy over the latest image again. This is somewhat rare, and nobody seems to be 100% sure WHY it happens, but it's worth knowing that it CAN happen.

Personally, I think that file access when using certain homebrew programs is the culprit -- because that is the only time I've bumped into this problem. If so, then a software tweak to the DLDI code could fix the problem in a future firmware release.

(2) Homebrew support isn't perfect. It is very good, but there have been two or three old homebrew apps that didn't work for me (and some that didn't work because of problems with the homebrew code -- not the G6 Real card).

(3) Limited storage space. You won't be able to expand the onboard memory after buying the card, so be certain that you are happy with 1 or 2 GB before ordering.

(4) You are limited to holding 4 skins at a time on your card. Not sure why you'd need more than that, but some people apparently want a lot of skins to be available.

(5) Price. This card isn't cheap... is it worth it? I think so. You'll have to make your own choice.

(6) The built-in PDA functionality isn't very good right now. There is lots of room for improvement here... hopefully the dev team will work to make this (potentially awesome) feature more useful in the future. Until then, you are better off downloading the DSOrganize homebrew application.

That's really all that I can think of, and some of those "problems" are really stretching for something to complain about.

Edit: Oh, I'm still using firmware 2.3. Apparently there is new firmware available, but I haven't bothered to upgrade because 2.3 is working quite well and I haven't seen a list of what's actually changed yet.

Codekingmss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Main problem is AR codes don't work perfect.
Not all games can use them.

Not all games can use all the extra options and some load weird.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1) Expensive
2) Limited Download Play / Homebrew (although almost all work for me)
3) Cheat system is not as good as R4 for example
4) Non-expandable memory

TheNeck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In regards to any cons, to me only thats its kind of $, other than that its great a great flashcart. I also have the R4 and the CyloDS, and its just as good as both of them, of coarse each has its good and bad points.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
good point, and speaking of SD's, no jacked up springs!

Well, CycloDS Evos have no springs.

And neither do the new shelled R4s/M3Simplys.

SD's? It's expandable memory, and it'd be cheaper to buy a CycloDSEvo/R4/M3SDSS + 2GB MicroSD than if you bought a G6Real 2GB.

I have to say, the G6Real is a good cart, and if you're willing to shell out more money, then go ahead my friend.

1.) It'll cost you a pretty penny
2.) It has no expandable memory, so basically be happy with 1GB/2GB forever
3.) Random Corruptions (Pretty rare from what I've heard)
4.) It's Cheat System isn't as good as the other Flashcarts.

~Nero

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country

Wightslayer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"3.) Random Corruptions (Pretty rare from what I've heard)"

What sort of corruptions are these exactly? Cos I think mine has it.

As I see it, if you get a good G6real, it's awesome. If you get a piece of crap like mine that dies after less than half a year work, you'll hate g6's for the rest of you life.

imz

GBAtemp's vigilante
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only problem I had from this card was when my files became corrupted because I left it next to a magnet for a few hours (sounds stupid I know, but I didn't do it on purpose and if I had been aware that magnets could corrupt it I could have avoided it) but now I avoid it anyway, just don't make the same mistake as me

QUOTE said:
2.) It has no expandable memory, so basically be happy with 1GB/2GB forever

seriously, that's not a problem, I don't use my G6 for anything else apart from NDS games and if I ever run out of space (which has never occured) I'll get rid of ones I never play or have already completed, I mean surley you don't get time to play 16 games on a regular basis BTW I have a 1GB

bulletmark

Trophies
XP
Country
seriously, that's not a problem, I don't use my G6 for anything else apart from NDS games and if I ever run out of space (which has never occured) I'll get rid of ones I never play or have already completed, I mean surley you don't get time to play 16 games on a regular basis BTW I have a 1GB
This is right. After all, it only takes a mere mouse drag and drop to add/delete/swap games anyhow. I.e. a few seconds really. I don't understand why most people seem to prefer an SD card based flash card. 1 or 2G of inbuilt ram is faster, simpler, and more reliable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can