G6 Real 16Gbit or not...

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by ScottC2105, Aug 5, 2007.

Aug 5, 2007

G6 Real 16Gbit or not... by ScottC2105 at 10:53 PM (1,187 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. ScottC2105
    OP

Newcomer ScottC2105 Member

United Kingdom
    I have been thinking about getting a cart for a couple of weeks and a couple of days ago I upgraded my phat DS to a new Black Lite.

I have been thinking of getting the R4, M3 DS Simply, CycloDS Evolution or G6 Real. 2GB is enough for me as I only plan to use it for roms and homebrew. Carrying many carts around can get annoying so an all-in-1 cart would do me great.

I can't make my mind up on which to get. I want near 100% Download Play compatibility, Wii compatibility and 100% rom compatibility. MicroSD slow down I do not want and I hear the G6 Real does/will never suffer from slowdown, is this correct?

Do G6 update the firmware often? Download Play isn't yet 100%, correct?

One last thing that worries me about the G6 Real is the saving of games, it doesn't directly save until a soft reset. Can this or will you ever be able to change this?

Thanks.

2. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    It updates sometimes, it isn't as frequent as R4 but its still pretty frequent. Download Play isn't 100%, but you'd be hard pushed to find one that does. And the way it saves is how every flashcart saves. It will never ever ever ever ever suffer from slowdown. And 2GB is absolutely gigantic for DS games, which are tiny. 1GB is perfect for me and I rarely find myself pushed for space. Wii compatibility is fantastic. I would recommend it for the built in storage, as I prefer this, but if you want a removable storage device, CycloDS Evo is the best one out there.

3. ScottC2105
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for that. I thought the R4 and CycloDS Evolution have 100% Download Play?

I didn't know all carts need a soft reset to save, thanks for that [​IMG]. I guess that is a menu soft reset or a quick off-on-off?

4. h8uthemost

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    They do. And so does the SCDS1 now. Well, actually, I think only the Evo has actually been tested to have completely 100% download play. I'm not sure if anyone has actually tested every download play rom on the R4 or SCDS1.

But anyways, the G6 Real is my favorite slot 1 cart for the internal memory alone. I know that I'll never have any problems with any games. But...not all homebrew is working on the 16G model for some reason. Everything was working fine on the 8G though. I'm sure the G6 team is aware of it though, and will have it fixed soon. Hopefully download play will also be perfect in the next release or two.

5. ScottC2105
    OP

United Kingdom
    As roms and homebrew will be the main use of this. 100% Download Play will be needed in the future, not too much of a big issue right now.

Will the G6 Real have 100% within a few months or not do you know?

I cannot make my mind up. I want to purchase a cart this week [​IMG].

6. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Most likely. They improve download play after every few firmwares, and since the R4 and SCDS1 have it, the G6 Team should as well (kind of share information with the R4 team I guess since they have the M3 Simply too).

As for download play on the R4 and stuff, I'm fairly sure it is 100% on both the R4 and CDSEVO (both trimmed correctly of course), as for SCDS1, I don't think they ever said it was to be 100%, but just a large improvement. I'm probably wrong >_>

7. ScottC2105
    OP

United Kingdom
    So overall and in the long run, is this the best cart on the market today? Price isn't a problem for me.

8. -poyZ!

Member -poyZ! Advanced Member

Australia
    Absolutely without question, this is a very very high quality card.. I bought two g6real 16gb yesterday and couldn't be happier... There was some initial glitches in getting Windows xp to recognise the card reader, but in the end I disconnected and reconnected it, and it was fine. In the end I leeched Microsoft flash drive manager... I dont think it did anything...

But.. for the card itself, working perfectly.... no slowdown, high build quality....

Go for the 16gbit version, you can never have too much space.. Its really cheap for the quality... I paid ~95$ aud.

Go for it !

Cheers.

9. ScottC2105
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks [​IMG]. I plan to get the 16Gbit as that is about 25-50 roms I believe. It is just the firmware updates for the G6 Real are not very often and I want to be sure it will eventually have 100% Download Play.

On the plus side, this is one of the only carts with Wii (Pokemon included) support and won't suffer from slow down as the memory is internal (again, 2GB is enough for most people). This card does have 100% Rom compatibility right?

10. -poyZ!

Member -poyZ! Advanced Member

Australia
    Download play is overrated.... Just get your friends to buy a card, and you have no problems.. Whats the point of uploading a demo to someone without a flashcart... Just get them on board to buy a flashcart... Makes absolute sense..

I haven't got any experience with the download play though... I bought two flashcards yesterday, so myself and the kid will both have a copy of any roms [​IMG]

11. ScottC2105
    OP

United Kingdom
    Great [​IMG]. I will place my order now (the site says same day shipping and it is in-stock so let's hope it really is in-stock).

Just to confirm, this card has 100% rom compatibility correct?

12. jerbob92

Newcomer jerbob92 Advanced Member

Netherlands
    yep, everything works fine with me [​IMG]

13. ScottC2105
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks everyone. I have just ordered my G6 Real 16Gbit for delivery tomorrow morning.

I will report back with how I get on [​IMG]. Can anyone recommend any good skins?

14. jerbob92

Netherlands
    sorry there aren't much [​IMG] but i like the firefox one [​IMG]

15. ScottC2105
    OP

United Kingdom
    Is there any starter kit or guide to creating them? I would like to create one or two.

16. jerbob92

Netherlands
    i don't think so
    it's very easy [​IMG] just edit the bmp's

17. ScottC2105
    OP

United Kingdom
    My G6 Real 16Gbit cart has been shipped for delivery tomorrow at 9am [​IMG].

Does anyone have any tips on what I should do first?

18. jerbob92

Netherlands
    search games and when it arrives just put them on it xD

19. ScottC2105
    OP

United Kingdom
    I downloaded the latest system files and PDA files.

I think I am all set. Thanks everyone.