G6 problems, and the official DS Lite dust cover

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by ceraphis, Aug 27, 2006.

Aug 27, 2006
  1. ceraphis
    OP

Member ceraphis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Heres something that's been bothering me. I've had a g6 lite for awhile, and I love it. I couldn't have asked for a better flashcart in my opinion. Well, I guess thats not totally true, it would have been nice if it were easier to change cases, but that leads to the main point of this post.

My white G6-lite cover sucks. I can hardly get the damn screw out of the thing. and then even when I try my hardest to put the screw back in, it never works perfectly, and the cover jiggles around in it. Really annoying. I've had to use the black cover for awhile, and while it in no way suclks, especially since I'm gonna trade in my whitie for a blackie when they get released in a couple weeks, I still am pissed off I can't have that white one work like it should. It's probably because the black plastic is stronger that the white plastic. That and with the white Lite crack problems, it seems kinda fitting, huh?

All dumb jokes aside, I've been thinking that I might be able to shove the G6 pcb into the white dust cover I have, and I KNOW people have talked about doing that before, combining one part G6 case and one part dust cover to make a flush cover for the PCB that is a different color, so this leads to my main two questions, and it would be amazing if anyone had any answers to let me in on [​IMG]. HEre they are in all their glory:

1. is there any backwoods hobo way to get the damn screw off the dust cover without a specialized drill bit? I've tried groups of staples, some randsom metal thingamajig, and a big screwdrive to try and brute force it counter-clockwise, but to no avail. Does ANYONE know a way to do this without buying the aforementioned drill bit?

2. does the pcb even fit inside the dust cover, possible mild sanding included? Aside from that, is it a sturdy answer to my problem, meaning that the pcb isnt gonna jiggle around inside there and possibly cause corruption problems in the future?

ANY thoughts or answers to these questions would be of much value to me. Please by all means write back with anything that comes to mind even if it is completely off-topic because I'm sure I'll enjoy it anyway. [​IMG]

2. pubjoe

Member pubjoe GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    1. A very small phillips head screwdriver (like you'd find in a watchmaker's set) apparently works.

2. I've heard of 2 people doing this, one person botched it a bit, and the other did it successfully. I'm sorry but I can't remember where I read about them. Anyway, it was a case of using one half, dust-cover and the other half, G6 case. I think the dust cover had to be cut and glued to the other (G6) half.

[​IMG]

3. Golds

Member Golds Old Member

United States
  4. xnevergiveinx

Newcomer xnevergiveinx Member

United States
    the first time i took the screw out of the white case, i turned it too much and stripped out the threads (this is removal of the screw too!)
    i searched around for another screw to fit that was a little larger...i have a jeweler's screw driver set, so i used a small screw driver to remove the triwing screw from the nds lite dust cover...it was a little awkard removing it with the wrong tool, but it worked.
    then i used that screw in the white cover for my g6 lite and screwed it in tight to the stripped out hole...it worked great because it was slightly larger than the one that came with the g6 lite.

funny thing is that the screw that came with the g6lite white case is now in my nds lite dust cover, it fits, i don't know how because it's slightly smaller, but it works

5. saxamo

Member saxamo Spaaaaace!

United States
    yeah I stripped the screw when i was putting the G6 lite into the white case. the screws are so cheap! aarrrr! Mabye i'llfind a replacement. but it's holding fine for now O.o

6. ceraphis
    OP

United States
    Ok so guess what I did for the past 4 or 5 hours? Eh, don't bother guessing, I'll tell ya anyway. [​IMG]

I took pictures of this but so far I've failed essentially, then again, its more like there's one last step that will take the longest to do....regardless I'm not gonna post the pictures just yet unless anyone's interested.

Anyway, here's the chain of events, listed for lack of a better way to describe: (Warning: VERY LONG POST AHEAD)

1. Stuck on how to remove the screw, I read online that a neat little trick is to get a drill bit that at least can go in the hole of the screw, either that or a nail that can fit, and after dabbing a tiny bit of krazy glue on it, stick on the screw, wait a little bit, then twist after it dries. Sounds like a good plan.

2. After searching for possible drill bits and nails, I get about 7 candidates for krazy gluing, including a really f**ked up phillips drill bit. Before trying the candidates out with krazy glue, i tried the aforementioned phillips bit, and somehow it worked on its own = Yay for coincidences, boo for long pointless searching. [​IMG]

3. Now that the two halves were apart, I carefully notice the differences between the two cases (dust+G6). It seems nintendo put in a few stops for anyone like me trying to illegally modify their precious dustcover. Here's what I found:
    *There's only enough room for a slim pcb (included pcb of dustcover) to span the length of the cover, the reasons for this are many, the most important ones are listed next.
    * the ridge running down the middle of the main part is much larger than the G6 one.
    *There is no opening for the battery to sit nice and comfortably
    *I'm tired of listing all the differences, essentially, there's a LOT of extra plastic in the nintendo one, and I'm nearly certain aside from the fact that it makes the nintendo one a little stronger, a lot of it seems to be there just to keep us flashcart schmoes from easily modifying it...

4. I actually got rid of nearly ALL, and I mean ALLLLLLL of the differences between the nintendo dustcover and the G6 covers. This took about 4 to 5 hours, I sat through two whole movies while I did it.

5. During this arduous process, I used only a small razorblade, no kidding, and I have sitting in my hands a nearly perfect rendition of a nintendo G6 case.

Theres only one minor, yet somehow huge problem remaining, and it's gonna take me a while to do it right, especially if I'm only using a razorblade. It seems that the dust cover has about 1.5 times the thickness of plastic that the G6 has on one certain area, the one area that matters: the part where the battery wants to go. So until I shave down that area to where the G6 can finally fit in the nintendo dustcover, I'll just have to wait to have my perfect case I guess! At least I'm having fun doing it though, and who knows...maybe I'll be the first to make a nintendo dustcover into a G6 lite case!

P.S.: The nintendo case as I have it works fine still, although it feels a tad more brittle than when it was untouched...so it seems its definitely possible to have success at this, I just haven't had my success just yet. [​IMG]

7. 96hondaex

Member 96hondaex GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Like this one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thats cubewood's work you see.

8. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    so much hassle, why dont just ask for a new cover at this forum.

i sent 2 pieces of navy blue g6 lite covers to people.

9. Deaddy

Member Deaddy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I think he meant using both halves of the dust cover.

10. 96hondaex

Member 96hondaex GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Oh, I see... [​IMG]

11. Deaddy

Member Deaddy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    It's a cool idea but I would never do this and risk my warranty. [​IMG]

12. Zap

Member Zap GBAtemp Regular

United States
    To shed light on people who want to mod the dust cover to the G6 casing...

I have tried this. Unsucessfully.

I opened the dust cover. Opened the G6 lite case. Compared the two.

Then I used the dremel carving tool to shave and duplicate the look of the G6 lite front cover onto the front cover of the dummy cart. Placing them side by side, they now look almost identical.(I will try to get some pics up when I get home)

The problem is that the screw hole on the dummy cart is off the mark. If you take a close look at the screw holes, the one on the dummy cart is lower than that on the G6 lite cart...

I did try to use the back cover of the G6 lite with the front cover of the dummy cart. However, for the screw holes to match up, the back cover can't be aligned with the front cover. This is expected as the screw hole on the dummy cart's front cover is low. While the screw hole for the G6's back cover is higher up. Thus, matching them up would "push" the back cover out about 1-2 cm and when placed into the DSL, it looks like the EZ4 Lite.(except sticking out more)

I have given up on this lil project as my G6 lite's cover isn't sticking out... just I would prefer the clear plastic overlay of the dummy cart.

13. ceraphis
    OP

United States
    First of all thanks for all the interesting comments.

Second, yes I meant being the first to completely change the dustcover to match the g6 lite cover, at least as accurately as possible and so that you can use the G6 inside the dust cover.

Right now, I am nearly finished with my first and maybe last attempt at this, as I plan on returning my hingecracked white DSLite for a black one on september 13th.

I seem to be having no problems making it fit, except that i don't know how loose the G6 will be inside the case, which might make it unusable if its too loose.

edit: Deaddy, btw what do you have to worry about? Assuming a dust cover modification would ever be a problem with a warranty, who can argue with "oh, that white pointless thingamabob? I lost that the first week I got my lite because advance wars has been in there since then...didn't know I'd need it ever again. I was supposed to keep it??" WTF FTW! [​IMG]

edit2 @zap: you can make a new screw hole if you need to make the g6 case match the dust cover. However, you can also just mod the dust cover back's insides to match the g6 lite case back's by cutting in a few places. most notably, get rid of the little wall at one end completely, shave a little off both the back's screw hole and the front's screw hole to allow for the pcb to slide in there, and shave a little off the little side nubs of the back of the dust cover to let the g6 pcb sides rest comfortably where it wants to. It'd probably be more obvious if I posted some pictures, and I will after I finish the couple cuts left. I actually bought a shiny new xacto knife just for finishing this and working on the black cover when I get my black lite which should be no problem since I've got a way cracked hinge on my whitie.

P.S.: I share thre same feelings about the clear plastic outside. I am a ridiculous perfectionist, but only when it comes to videogame crap. My room's a mess but at least I have a really sweet DS setup eh? [​IMG]

14. ds6220

Member ds6220 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    How would this risk your warranty? It is just the dust cover. Those things can get lost and has no barring what so ever on the warranty. Would using a battle stylus void your warranty? [​IMG]

15. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    Anyway, even if it did void the warranty you can buy new dustcovers cheaply.