G6 lite vs SuperCard SD

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by jeffc313, Apr 29, 2008.

Apr 29, 2008

G6 lite vs SuperCard SD by jeffc313 at 7:21 PM (1,191 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. jeffc313
    OP

Newcomer jeffc313 Advanced Member

United States
  2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    If you want full-speed GBA games, stick with the G6 Lite. If you want expandable memory and can tolerate some slowdowns in certain GBA games (and the additional space the SCSD will take up), go with the Supercard.

EDIT: If it will be mostly for DS gaming, go with the Supercard SD.

3. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
  4. jeffc313
    OP

United States
    I am going to use this mostly for DS games and homebrew. I would prefer something with a full SD, because I have only full SD cards, no mini or micro SD.

5. DanTheManMS

United States
    The G6 Lite uses on-board memory so you can't expand it. For that, you'd probably want a device that uses external memory.

Of course (and I failed to notice this earlier) the G6 Lite is useless to you since it fits only in DS Lites, not Phats. For this reason alone you should look into a replacement.

If you're mostly interested in DS gaming, why not consider a slot-1 device? They're much easier to use for DS games and homebrew. MicroSD cards are cheap enough that you can pick up a cheap 1-2 GB one for less than $20, which is really not that bad of an investment.

6. airpirate545

Member airpirate545 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    sorry but i dont think any flash card supports a full sd card

7. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    There are several that do, including the Supercard SD.

8. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    u speak b4 you know.

there is a GBA shell included for GBAs and DS Phats

9. DanTheManMS

United States
    Thought that was only for the M3 Lite, not G6 Lite too. My bad.

10. jeffc313
    OP

United States
    what are the other flashcards that take full-SD? Would you recommend any of those?

11. DanTheManMS

United States
    It still seems rather silly to base your entire purchase on the type of media you currently have. It's a factor I'll admit, but personally I'd look into the form factor of the product first and make the decision on that rather than attempting to save $20 on media cards.

I have a camera that takes SD cards, but I'm so happy I got a Supercard miniSD instead of SD since it now fits flush in the DS Phat, plus I can insert/remove the miniSD card without taking the Supercard out of the DS. This is a LOT more useful than it sounds at first, and if you got the Supercard SD you'd have to take it out before you could remove the SD card from the side of the product.

I'd still suggest a slot-1 card though. The Supercard team does continue to support the slot-2 Supercard line, which is admirable, but it's unknown for how long this will continue. You'd also get more features and the ability to use clean DS roms on a slot-1 device. Slot-1 devices work on their own without needing a NoPass device to boot them into DS mode (I didn't notice you say if you bought a NoPass or not - without one, you'll be limited to GBA mode only). In addition, there's a good chance that the DS's successor will get rid of the GBA slot, something you may also wish to consider.

Slot-2 Supercards are still great for DS gaming, but unless you are really interested in DSLinux or certain really old homebrew apps prior to the advent of DLDI, you should consider a slot-1 device instead, possibly adding the cheap $20 EZ-V 3in1 expansion pack to give you all the other benefits of a slot-2 device (GBA gaming, slot-2 RAM, rumble).

12. jeffc313
    OP

United States
    well, the DS is already flashme'd so I figured that a Slot2 solution would be cheaper adn better for DSlinux, which I am attempting to port several applications to.

13. DanTheManMS

United States
    Ah, then in that case you would probably want a slot-2 device after all. It all depends on what you're using the cart for you see. Though I'll still recommend the Supercard miniSD rather than SD, especially if you're going to be doing a lot of card-swapping for testing applications. It's your call though.

I'm highly interested in seeing what you can port to DSLinux, so I wish you good luck with that.