• Total voters

GouK

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find an "Official" GBATemp Review of the supercard lite. I was leaning torwards that but some say that the GBA functionality sucks. I'm mostly using it for NDS games but would still like to use it for GBA games time to time.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find a previous topic.

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
G6
+Dont have to buy memory card
+Better GBA support
-Homebrew support
-Limited to 512MB
-You can screw yourself over if you dont know what you're doing.

I guess thats a few of the important points of G6

EDIT: put a + for the SC on a + for the G6 in place of its -
wacko.gif
fixed!

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
G6
+Dont have to buy memory card
+Better GBA support
+Better Homebrew support
-Limited to 512MB
-You can screw yourself over if you dont know what you're doing.

I guess thats a few of the important points of G6

How is the Homebrew support on the G6 positive?

If you can resign on games like Metroid and you want more memory than 512MB you should take the SCLite. Otherwise you should take the G6.

I prefer the G6 because you don`t need to buy a memory card and the gba support is also very good.

sandreezy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
too bad m3 lite isnt on the vote
wink.gif

out of these 2 devices i would go with the g6 cause it gets more updates than SC.

have you ruled out m3lite? it is a great device and has 100% compatibilty. and if it doesnt work, it gets patched next day.

JuLeZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wink.gif

out of these 2 devices i would go with the g6 cause it gets more updates than SC.

have you ruled out m3lite? it is a great device and has 100% compatibilty. and if it doesnt work, it gets patched next day.

I haven't ruled it out just that... I sort of classed the m3 and the g6 to be on par with each other.

trevbreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i havent had one problem with my supercard lite its brilliant and the gba support is so under-rated
biggrin.gif
The one thing that ruins it for me was the fact that the SC Lite doesn't have an internal clock which is required for the Pokemon games amongst other things.

I was faced with a similar situation, and at the end of the day the only advantage I found of the SC Lite was the fact it could have much larger storage space.... but the fact remains... I have 13 games on my G6 Lite at the moment (only one GBA game amongst all that too!) and that is more than enough for me.

Every fortnight or so I plug the G6 back into my PC to put a new game or two on and remove a game or two that i'm sick of.

Really, anymore than 2-3 games on the one card and you start to get to a point where you never really get into the games you play, you merely scratch the surface of them and never really get into the storyline etc.

If the SC Lite could be updated to play ScummVM games over the 33mb limit and have the internal clock for GBA games then it would look more attractive, but until then i'm more than happy with my G6.

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
"If the SC Lite could be updated to play ScummVM games over the 33mb limit and have the internal clock for GBA games then it would look more attractive, but until then i'm more than happy with my G6."

What do you mean, "could be updated" :? I have had numorous aknowledgements it works great on SCL.
Almost all homebrew works with Chism FAT and on SC SD, Moonshell patcher makes that all work on SCL too. I've yet to see a homebrew that doesn't work on SCL that does work on another card.

Imo, if you're making this comparison, it's more about asking yourself if the storage is enough and if you'd rather have more homebrew or GBA support. (Homebrew outwaging GBA support in general percentages afaik, depends personally on which homebrew/GBA-games you'd like I guess.)

BTW: I've got a M3 MiniSD atm, but leaning towards a SCL ALOT lately due to having a DSL now and would like to use more homebrew, SCUMMVM SD amongst others.)

bionicspider

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Almost all homebrew works with Chism FAT and on SC SD, Moonshell patcher makes that all work on SCL too. I've yet to see a homebrew that doesn't work on SCL that does work on another card.

One of the most popular homebrew apps, DSOrganize, has trouble writing to the SC Lite's microSD; some facets of DSOrganize's writing capibilities work, others fail, and still others corrupt the file system. DSFTP has a nasty tendecy to corrupt the SC Lite's microSD memory if too many files are transfered at one time, or if you rename a file via FTP. It's been reported that the widely popular DSNES can save on certain flashcarts' memory, but the supercard Lite's microSD still isn't supported, it seems.

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
@bionicspider
DSO was kinda screwed up trying to get everything fixed, I think it was 2.20 that did work great. Someone fooled around with files from different builds and got a 2.25 build working somehow for SCL.

Funny fact is that this is also one of the few homebrews that had a experimental build (non-official) that worked on my M3 MiniSD using FAT. (Tested and confirmed all features twice. Saving and loading seemed to work great in that build).

No wonder he got anoyed by all the working/non-working builds reports. I think he tried to fix more things that he should. One build a certain thing worked another builds another one did (but the previous got screwed somehow). Also, I think he lacked good testers and feedback. Afaik, he also got some lame comments. Putting alot of efforts into a highly demanded homebrew builds up stress, and consumes alot of time. When people go shitting on you at such a point is not a good motivator. Too bad more and more good experienced and proven devs tend to leave the scene due such experiences, although I cannot blame them ...

Anyways, have a look around, there should be a "final/last" build somewhere that should work great with SCL.

sandreezy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wink.gif

yeah, they are pretty much the same device, with different GUI. but!!!, the m3 has removable media, which means its storage is only limted to what kind of card you buy.

i got a nice little package from realhotstuff for 151, came with the m3 lite, a 1 gig micro SD card, a card reader, and a passcard.

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've heard rumors that the SC moonshell patcher could be used on m3 Lite too (using sc.nds files
tongue.gif
) . Seems awkward, but if it could, M3 Lite would be only second best in price and better on known areas.)

To me, it's more a rumor though. Don't get your hopes up too much. Though be sure to check it out when intereested/in doubt.

As far as I know and read, M3 is for (a little) faster NDS support and better GBA support. Though it's lacking in the homebrew beyond usefullness. Meaning, most homebrew would probably work, but the ones you'd like the most won't.

-My 2 cents.

pte

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find an "Official" GBATemp Review of the supercard lite. I was leaning torwards that but some say that the GBA functionality sucks. I'm mostly using it for NDS games but would still like to use it for GBA games time to time.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find a previous topic.

Sorry but you really are a smart guy to start the 5000th thread about this.

Read the guides and use the search, that way you avoid useless and retarded flaming. THANKS!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night