G6 Lite or M3 Lite? GBA Games Only

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by science, Sep 23, 2006.

?

G6 Lite or M3 Lite?

1. G6 Lite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. M3 Lite

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Sep 23, 2006
  1. science
    OP

Member science science rules

Canada
    I will be getting a slot 1 flashcard for DS games, and I wan't something that can play GBA games for my slot 2. Seems that both the G6 Lite and M3 Lite play GBA games perfectly, but which is the one for me? The M3 lite seems tempting with its expandable memory and stability, but the G6 dosen't cut down on battery life and 512mb seems like enough for just GBA games. What should I get? I think right now I'm leaning towords the G6, but what do you think is right for me?

2. saxamo

Member saxamo Spaaaaace!

United States
    g6.

512 is enough for DS games, so for GBA games,it's overkill.

3. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    M3. Flash memories are prone to dying, and when a MicroSD card dies, you can just replace it, but when the built-in flash chip dies, you have to buy a new G6. And the M3 has better homebrew support, for when you run out of GBA games [​IMG]
    Also, USB card readers are faster than the G6 writer, so you could transfer files faster. Not that it matters with 16MB game ROMs, but still. And expandable memory means more room for multimedia, if you ever want to watch movies or play mp3's on your DS (when you run out of games [​IMG] )

But if you are leaning towards the G6, go for it. It's simpler (no fiddling with the tiny fragile MicroSD), and a good solution for GBA games.

4. science
    OP

Canada
    A Lost of those things you described (homebrew etc.) I will be doing on my Slot 1 card, so that dosen't matter to me much. And My iPod video can cover me on the music and videos. I would really like to get the M3, it's just that for 1GB it will cost me 110 USD, and for the G6 I'm only paying 90 USD, so price is whats really breaking my balls. And I'm only going to be using it ocaisonaly, so I don't think I would be wearing out the flash memory too quickly.

5. ShadowFalls

Newcomer ShadowFalls Newbie

The logic is that you could inevitably fill that space all up with GBA games and have to remove ones on the Flash Cart. But with the M3 Lite, you can just get another Micro SD card and swap them out, it would be the better long-run choice. Though, if you get the M3 Lite with the Passcard, you would have no need for the Flash card for the Slot 1

6. Wired

Newcomer Wired Newbie

Canada
    has anyone gotten an SNES emulator to work on the G6 lite?

7. IAmTheRad

Member IAmTheRad GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I got snezzids to work on the g6 lite, snesds to work on the g6 lite. Compatability is low, but they work.

8. Veho

Croatia
    I have to point out that quite a few people have had problems with the G6 (as seen here, and here. Those are solvable problems, but losing your data mid-game is a nuisance. These might be isolated incidents, but I just trust the M3 a bit more.

If size is not an issue, may I suggest the M3 SD? Only $70 at Divineo.

9. science
    OP

Canada
    Lol, size is pretty much the main issure here for me, because I have a SC miniSD and its huge in my eyes. I can't even imagine what the M3 SD sould look like in a Lite lol

10. ShadowFalls

Newcomer ShadowFalls Newbie

The Lite versions are quite small, the SC miniSD compares to the size of a GBA game cartridge, the Lite versions are smaller than that.

Also want to make sure you know that you will need to have the DS Lite to use the Lite models due to the size of the catridge. You didn't mention which you had.

11. Veho

Croatia
    LOL
    I've seen an M3 CF in a DS Lite, so I don't have to imagine what an M3 SD version would look like.
    The whole thing looked like a hatchet, or a hammer, with a large handle protruding from Slot2.

That didn't offset me much, though. I plan on ordering an M3 CF, because I have 2.5 GB in CF cards, so the CF model would be more cost-effective.

12. DCJoeDog

Newcomer DCJoeDog Member

United States
    I say go for G6 lite for the reasons stated above PLUS you can fit it in a DS, DS Lite AND any of the GBA's with the included exchangable shells

13. kobewan

Member kobewan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes, thats a good reason. Also, GBA games work a little more pleasantly on the G6. I believe that it uses standard .sav save games instead of .dat, so you can transfer back and forth between emulators on your PC and such. Also, I am lead to believe that Real Time Save works MUCH faster on the G6 (between 5-10 seconds faster for each save/load).

On the other hand, I had an M3 miniSD and was very happy with the GBA support. I had no real problems with it whatsoever. I'm just trading it in for a G6 since it fits better in my new Lite, will be compatibel with my old phat if I ever need it and 512 MB is easily enough for DS/GBA games. You only need more if you are using Moonshell or ScummVM heavily.

14. stupid2ass

Newcomer stupid2ass Member

Cambodia
    I'd say go for the G6. Flash memory has quite a bit of leeway in terms of the amount of writes/rewrites it can do. My F2A still works fine after many many years of use.
    M3-CF? Yikes. That thing is GINORMOUS in the DS Lite. I should know, I still own one [​IMG].