Hacking G6 Lite & Moonshell

Deaddy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a question regarding G6 Lite support for Moonshell. I have noticed that on Handheldsources.com they have "MoonShell 1.3c for G6" and I was just wondering if this is a version specifically for G6 or if G6 supports any version of Moonshell? I would have assumed it'd support any version but the title on that page had me wondering. I would try it myself but I'm not getting my G6 til Tuesday and I want all my software ready for when it arrives. Thanks.

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
G6 only supports that moonshell.

However from what I hear, the new firmware has the media extend which is an improved moonshell kind of thing only for G6. But i don't know much about it.

Deaddy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been messing with the media extend and the g6 moonshell. From what I can tell the media extend doesn't seem to be a huge improvement but it's possible that it could be better at playing back DPG files. This could just be a tweaked global.ini file though. What I really don't like about media extend is there doesn't seem to be a way to change any of the settings. I found a way to change some of the background menus but I don't know how to edit the global.ini even though inside the program they tell you that you can set a custom ini file if you create a System folder. Whatever.

derderbste

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi. for me the 1.3c is the only one that works on my g6 lite, too.

i tested some of these skins http://www.m3-forum.com/viewforum.php?f=16 and they works fine. just copy the data into the "shell" folder and overwrite the bmp and ini files.
but i have one problem. the g6 game select menu seems to use the same background skins like the moonshell. it puts the /shell/desktop.bmp into the background and that looks not so nice. someone know how to handle/fix this?

Deaddy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure what you mean, are you saying the initial NDS game select screen changes colors? I didn't know this was possible. In my experience, the "Shell" folder only affects the moonshell file that sits in the root directory. To change the backgrounds in the G6 NDS menus (not including the main game select area) you can put different skins in the "Backing" folder. This is the only way I've done things. Maybe I'm missing something.

derderbste

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes. Try it. /shell/desktop.bmp put any picture in there and it appears on the NDS game select menu. i don´t know why!?!

Which menu backgrounds did you change by putting pictures into the "backing" folder. i think the game select menu is the only real menu on g6 lite or not? how did you name the pictures in the "backing" folder to skin the menus?

Deaddy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We might be talking about two different things. I have a desktop.bmp in my Shell folder, and it sets the background image for Moonshell. That image doesn't show up in my "G6 Manager" nds game launch menu. That screen always keeps blue bars and a plain white background.

If you make (or download) a skin with the G6 skin generator it will output files in this name format: BACKNDS.XXX. If you put this file in the "Backing" folder this skin will then be available in the G6 media manager software which you reach by choosing Media from the top right menu bar in the NDS game launcher screen.

derderbste

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I tell you... we talk about the same thing. when i put the desktop.bmp in my shell folder to skin my moonshell, the G6 Game launch menu also takes this picture as background image.

I will try the G6 skin generator to change my background. I even don´t know that this is possible, i never tried this tool...

Another question. is there already the backing folder with the BACKNDS.XXX file inside when you have a "fresh" G6lite? because i had to format my g6lite after i used it a few times, so i lost all my data on it and i can´t remember if this data already exists!?! Maybe he needs a blank BACKNDS.XXX file to keep the white background!?!

Deaddy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah it comes with about 4 backgrounds for NDS and some for GBA but as far as I know they were just for the built-in media players. I have deleted all of the stock ones and just have my downloaded ones on the cart but the main DS menu has never changed colors. I wish I could do what you're doing and customize it!

By the way, lately it seems that moonshell launches to white screens more and more often! I know some people get this every single time and can't boot it at all. I wonder what the problem is.

derderbste

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Deaddy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think the manager version should have anything to do with moonshell's performance, but the internal firmware could. But the thing is I haven't updated my firmware since the first day I got my G6, before I even tried launching any games or moonshell. And it seems like it's working less and less often. One thing i thought might be a factor even though it doesn't make sense, is whether you still have the passcard in or not when you attempt to boot moonshell. I got it to start up with the pass card in. But then the next time it froze even with the card in so that wasn't the solution afterall.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i mean, unless they on sloppenheimer time, but i kinda doubt it