G6 Lite Internal Battery Question

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Weej, Jul 26, 2006.

Jul 26, 2006

G6 Lite Internal Battery Question by Weej at 5:40 AM (1,750 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. Weej
    OP

Newcomer Weej Advanced Member

United States
    Well, my G6 Lite is currently in Ft. Worth, I'm waiting for it to be delivered on the 27th, so hopefully in about 48 hours my G6 Lite will be at my door in Austin.

My question is regarding the blue LED and the charging of the battery inside. How long do you leave it in to charge, how long is too long, and how short is too short?

I don't want to overload the battery when I get it, but I want there to be a charge strong enough to save games.

Can someone enlighten me on this please?

2. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    There is no definitive answer on this, even from the g6 team. I would treat it like any other flashcart with a battery and charge it for 8 hrs regularly every week.
    You should be good then.

3. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    On a sidenote, there is really no need for this on a g6 since it backs up savs everytime you restart the ds to the main menu (via soft reset as well) so nothing is really volatile.

4. durix

Newcomer durix Member

France
    How do you charge the g6 lite? in the usb burner on in the dslite?
    Thanks

5. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    In the usb burner. If it works like the flashcarts for the gbas, it may work in the ds slot while charging the ds/white playing the ds as well.

6. durix

Newcomer durix Member

France
    When i switch off my DS after saving in a game, i always reboot the DS so the save can be write down.
    I think it will save the battery life no?

7. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    doubtful....I'd charge it regardless weekly.

8. durix

Newcomer durix Member

France
    I will try to leave it a couple of hours a week in the burner then

9. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    It recharges while you play too, at least, that's what they [G6 Team] say.

10. sirdaver

Member sirdaver Advanced Member

United States

The EZFA for the GBA charged off of the GBA battery while it was in the device, not through it's USB cable. It gave a drain (very tiny) on the GBA battery, but was a better way to charge it, if you ask me. You don't have to have a computer nearby to keep it charged up.

Sure hope the G6 works the same way.

11. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    where about in austin are you? me + a bunch of friends already got g6 lites if you need any help

12. fatfree

Newcomer fatfree Advanced Member

Why don't they just let the saves, save in the memory where the games are stored?? Then you wouldn't have to worry about needing a battery?

13. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    That's what everyone believed G6 Lite's saving is like when the review came out.

But it's later found that the G6 Lite stores saves temporarily in battery-powered SRAM and backups the save on the next time G6 Lite boots.

14. ds6220

Member ds6220 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    so let me get this straight. How screwed are you if and when the battery dies with the G6lite? my only other cart is the very old Flash Advance 128mb (oh yeah.) and when the battery dies on that SOB, all hell breaks loose. :'(

15. martin88

Canada
    Well, if you're worried about battery dying, then you'd better play it once in a while so it stays charged.

Or you can get SuperCard which writes save directly onto the card. Even though there is still a battery on SuperCard...

16. ds6220

United States
    ok, so it does charge then while you play it or while you have it plugged in the USB burner. I guess I was worried that that bit did not actually work. [​IMG]

17. martin88

Canada
    Yes the internal battery charges while you play. Same with other flashcart like EZ4.

18. ds6220

United States
    nice. I don't think my old Flash Advance from Visoly does but I am glad cards have come this far. My old cart does not even fit flush with the GBA/SP. that is how old that thing is. still works though, just need to replace the battery every once in a while. [​IMG]

19. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    How certain are we that the SuperCard actually does write saves directly onto the card? We thought the G6 did until it put that warning message on the bootup screen - maybe SuperCard just doesn't have the warning message.

If a SuperCard owner could follow my procedure from the What's going on with saves? thread, that would be appreciated.

20. inter4ever

Member inter4ever GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well you can be sure that the supercard saves directly to the SD since the original SD supercard didn't have a battery.