G6 Lite + Flashme

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by dpolishsensation, Aug 20, 2006.

Aug 20, 2006

G6 Lite + Flashme by dpolishsensation at 4:09 PM (994 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. dpolishsensation
    OP

Newcomer dpolishsensation Member

United States
    Where do I need to place the files on my G6 Lite and how do I boot into it? Sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn't find via a search.

2. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    Has it really come to this?

I guess this was that hard for you...

1. Put flashme.nds on your card... anywhere is fine.
    2. Go into the My Card browser and find flashme.nds
    3. (The hard part apparently) Click on flashme.nds
    4. Proceed to install

3. RyuKakashi

Member RyuKakashi GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't think you should consider flashing with a G6 Lite if possible.

Last time i checked it can't do recovery mode.

4. Falkentyne

Member Falkentyne GBAtemp Regular

United States
    True, and not everyone has a buddy who has a DS Lite who will even ALLOW you to open it up to do a BIOS chip swap... I know some people wouldn't let you near 20 feet of a handheld if they knew you were gona do something like that ! (" Huh? You're going to do WHAT With my DS? ") Plus, people with feet for hands might end up with TWO bricked DS's.

I know that I don't know ANYONE in person with a DS Lite who lives within 40 miles of me...(Except people from this forum, some of whom may act ...um.... @_@).

Recovering from a brick with a GS Lite is not as elementary as you make it out to be, Outphase...(some people just aren't as fortunate as others in friends or resources), although you have to consider yourself fortunate to have a car and live by people with DSL's..I don't [​IMG]

However if you are CAREFUL and take *time* to make a proper well insulated tool (mini flathead screwdrivers work GREAT, but make sure the flat head is big enough to bridge the gaps), plus you hold the battery in (you can tape it and then cover it with your hands for good measure -- keeping the charger plugged in will **NOT** save you if the battery falls out!! that only seems to work for the old DS), you should still be able to flash successfully. If I didn't have an extended 2 year warranty with Best Buy, I never would have attempted a flash, knowing what I know now...

5. outphase

United States
    I never said recovering was the easy part.

The root of this guy's question was "how do I put and run stuff off the card?" If the G6 is the only device you have, don't F it up. If you have additional cards around you in any way, have at it [​IMG]

6. Falkentyne

Member Falkentyne GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Really the *best* way to flash it without shorting the "wrong" hidden metal (hidden around the SL1) is to use a mini flathead screwdriver that is insulated with electrical tape except at the very end of the tip. Do this, and holding the battery in (do whatever you have to, tape it and then hold it in--whatever--note HAVING THE CHARGER PLUGGED IN WILL NOT SAVE YOU ON A DS LITE, unlike the old DS), will give you a less than 1% chance of having the DS Lite cut off on you and brick it. I was even able to flash a brand new DSL a few days ago, outside in the 100 degree heat at Best Buy, with the heat making the insulation start to come off AND having a HELL of a time getting contact with the flashing tool....(I swear it took 5 minutes to get it to go PAST 1%, twirling the screwdriver repeatedly and doing a few reinsertions, then it went up like 2% per each second...SLOWER than my first DSL.....what the hell...), and I STILL succeeded.

This type of tool is the safest, as there is *less* metal sticking around in the slot to accidentally short the metal hidden around the borders of the SL1, unlike tinfoil on a toothpick (even insulated), although it takes the most fidgeting to get a solid bridge, since you can't 'see' if the flathead is positioned correctly--until that magic % gauge starts increasing.

If I can succeed under THOSE extreme conditions, in a hot Best Buy parking lot (and keep in mind I'm disabled with a metal bar through my spine), there's no reason in the world you shouldn't, either.

Oh, and you can also test your screwdriver insulation by practicing shorting the SL1 during normal use (before flashing), twirling it around and trying to get a flat fit, etc, and I think you will see that you will not have any "oops I shorted the hidden metal on the side" problems.

7. pubjoe

Member pubjoe GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    How nailbiting?

That would make a great film, staring Tom Cruise!

[​IMG]

8. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    I don't know....I've flashed 5 ds lites now with 1 tool, a paperclip bent in a shape of a U with a thin layer of scotch tape on both ends and have done each within 2 minutes ever since taking about 10 minutes on the first one (extra time came from playin with a passkey2).....I don't see what the big deal is, it takes more ingenuity I think to run homebrew on the flashcarts versus doing flashme. And yes every single time was on my g6 3rd gen.....it's been officially retired as the beater cart for flashing and testing. People just has to take a close look and keep the metal away from the short beside sl1.

9. outphase

United States
    I still have an old M3 CF to be my contingency plan... I actually keep it around for stuff like Doom + nesDS

10. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    Heh yeah, I safeguarded myself lately with Supercard myself. =)