Hacking G6 Lite compatible with my system?

skomand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, love this site. I'm thinking about buying the G6 Lite but I want to make sure it'll work with my DS.

I have a non-lite DS (i.e. a fat blue one) that I purchased new in Nov. 2005. As I understand, the G6 lite comes with an adapter for regular DS, right?

But is my DS hardware new enough to work correctly with G6 lite?

Would supercard lite or m3 be a better choice? All I really care about are playing GBA and DS games.

One other question -- 512 mb seems kind of small -- aren't most DS games larger than that? I saw a pic of the DS games menu; there were a bunch of games that totalled way more than 512 mb so I am confused.

If these questions are answered in an FAQ, sorry -- I searched!
smile.gif

Thanks!

skomand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, but are you sure?

G6 lite review says "- Fits into the original DS’s GBA slot with included GBA cover"

Is that wrong?

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey there, yeah, the G6 lite will do you just fine. It does come with a shell for the phat ds and is easy to change out.

It's a good solution for people playing both DS and GBA stuff, very high compatibility and they keep the software updated regularly.

If you care about homebrew stuff, it's less capable on that front, you'd be better off with a supercard if that was real important to you.

512 is comparitively small, but you can get 10 DS and a couple or four GBAs on there easily. Me, I don't need more than that, but if you're a "gotta pack all my stuff in it and watch videos too" kinda guy, then go for something with removable media, but expect less goodness on the GBA compatibility as a result.

I've got a G6 lite (and a DS lite) and I'm damn happy with mine. You should keep searching on this site before you buy though. My opinion is just one of many, and there are folks on here that have EVERY cart known to god, so keep huntin' for more info (I know it's a lot to slog through, did it myself
wink.gif
)

skomand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, looks like it is. passcard 2 was iffy, or so i heard, but 3 should be good for all versions.

I've heard that G6 has problems with some GBA games, whereas M3 does not. Do you find this to be true? Have you had a lot of unresolvable GBA problems? I read that having real time save turned on can mess up GBA games. I don't mind saving thru the game's normal save system, so that's not a problem for me.....assuming real time save means, like, quick saving.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
You may have seen something I haven't. I don't know much about the M3, but there's been a few (relatively) minor games that didn't initially work on the G6L, but later workarounds developed. If you decide to flash your DS, keep the passcard just in case flashme causes a problem.

I just use regular saving. Real time save seems like a nice trick for some (freakin' hard) games, but I've never resorted to it, your mileage may vary...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, The Doom NES cartridges, a few batches were made. One was given to AVGN as...