kingeightsix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ok, so 3 days with my G6 Lite 4G on my GBA and i've figure out a couple of things that'll make some GBA players happy (hopefully).

FYI, every single one of my 46 roms on my G6 are working perfectly. every single one of my 46 roms on my G6 are saving perfectly. every single one of my 46 roms on my G6 are all commercial. this is what i use my G6 for, no homebrew, no music, no movies... just straight gaming. the only lag i've experienced so far was short, during the fight with aztec falcon in megaman zero. i'm expecting more lag with other bosses but at the moment, it doesn't bother me much at all.

***before you do anything with the G6 you should update to the latest firmware and use the latest U-Disk Manager (link to sources can be found at bottom of post)***
***before anything else after that, back up all your files on your G6 to your PC... this will save your ass when you realize you've deleted the wrong file or something***

follow these steps to keep from having problems with your G6:

- connect the G6 to the USB dock BEFORE connecting the USB dock to the PC
- write and delete roms with the U-Disk Manager (anything else, you can do through explorer)
- BEFORE disconnecting USB dock from the PC, click on the Safely remove hardware icon in the tasktray
- remove the USB dock from the PC BEFORE disconnecting the G6 from the USB dock

i have always followed those steps when connecting the G6 to my computer (just to be on the safe side) and i never experience any problems.

to free up more space on the G6 for your roms, you may delete the following (without any negative side-effects):

- directory NDS
- directory pdsDS
- directory EMU (unless you actually use it... i don't know how so i don't bother with it, lol)
- directory BACKING (unless you want the skins for 'moonshell')
- directory SHELL (unless you want 'moonshell')

also, you can delete the following files if you don't need the back up save files or the RTS feature:

- file extension .1
- file extension .2
- file extension .is0
- file extension .is1
- file extension .is2

the default save file has a .0 extension

to free up even MORE space (lol i know) you can also delete the file extension .ico but there's a trick to this one:
when you turn on your gba and go to the game menu, you'll notice that there are no files. the reason there are no files listed here is because there are no icons for the files. the icons are in some special format to act as a 'shortcut' to the games so when you delete them, you don't have a 'shortcut' to your game. this is actually easily dealt with, look in the top-right corner of the game menu, you'll notice a green square with a yellow circle (to the left of the red question mark). click on that and another menu will appear. change the 'big icon' option to 'small icon' and click 'set'. your game menu will refresh and all your games will be listed. yes, it will be listed. they'll all have the same icon but if you've renamed the internal name of your roms, you'll be able to find them all very easily.

the G6 doesn't organize your files very well, they aren't in alphabetical order, size order or even type order. i find this very annoying and confusing so i use FATsort. it's a program that will sort your files on the G6 flash VERY quickly. i have yet to experience any problems with it. you can find it at the very bottom of this post (along with other links i find useful). alot of people wonder if FATsort corrupts your G6. well, so far, i've used FATsort 8 times (if not, more) out of the 3 days i've had my G6 and it's working better then most people who have had their G6 months longer. maybe it's just me but i've read other posts of people saying they use FATsort and nothing goes wrong with the G6. all my roms are sram patched with GBATA (another extremely useful tool).

well, that's all that i have for now. i'm pretty new to G6 but i'm really into it... so if anyone can prove me wrong, please do so with explainations and proof. i just want to make the world a better place. if anyone has anything to add to this, just post and i will edit this later.

G6 Flash (software, u-disk manager, firmware, extras, maintenance utility, etc.)

FATsort (to organize your files)

GBATA (a bunch of tools in one) oops, i can't find the link right now but as soon as i do, i'll post it here

FATv8 (i use this to rename the internal names of my roms)

GBA Tools and Software by KiVan (this post has it all, all those useful tools with descriptions!)

please, enjoy!

kingeightsix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
cool. lol i had more posts than i could remember... i just went to your photos link and i like your picture "sky". do you mind emailing me the full-res version? i'd like to use that in my photoshop sometime in the near future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself