Hacking G6 DS Real or M3 DS Real Or?

saulin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok guys I just bought a second NDSL. I already own a NDSL and a G6 DS Real and I have not had any issues with any games. I never played a game that is that new that I had to wait for a patch or that it had problems. I don't even know if there are any games right now that have issues with the G6 DS Real.

Now I was looking at a M3 DS Real, I want to be able to play GBA games as well and this flash cart would probably be cheaper than the G6 DS Real even with the memory card included. Not by much though. I think the G6 DS Real 1GB/8GB is good enough for me since I will use it only for games. The one think that has me thinking wether I should get a M3 DS Real or a G6 DS Real is the fact that many people report issues with different memory cards. So here is my question.

Is there in fact a certain memory card to get so that every single game GBA & NDS runs as good as on the real cart? If so what brand? what size? what speed and a link would be apreciated. If it's from Dealextreme even better because that's where I plan to get the Flash Cart from.

Or is there a better option for both GBA/NDS fo the NDSL right now?

RTS is a feature that interests me and is not available on the G6 real unfortunately.

saulin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
zerofalcon said:
Kingston (Japan) SDHC 4GB class 4 works great on M3 real

Have you tested with Castlevania: Down Of Sorrow and The World Is Not Enough?

I would like no lag what so ever. No freezes, all games working. The G6 DS Real may lack Real Time Save but it's fast. All games seem to play as good as they do on the original carts.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you're worried about lag then the M3 Real is not the flashcart for you, its possibly the worst flashcart on the market for the dreaded lag. I tried Castlevania: DoS using both the Adata 4gb class6 and Sandisk 4gb class4, and the intro lagged with both cards. It also has bad lag in Metroid Prime Pinball.

There are other threads about the M3 Real and its lag.

saulin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tanas said:
If you're worried about lag then the M3 Real is not the flashcart for you, its possibly the worst flashcart on the market for the dreaded lag. I tried Castlevania: DoS using both the Adata 4gb class6 and Sandisk 4gb class4, and the intro lagged with both cards. It also has bad lag in Metroid Prime Pinball.

There are other threads about the M3 Real and its lag.

Do you know which is the best cart right now for both GBA and NDS with the most features?

I heard the DS Evelotion is probably the best or one of the best but for NDS, you can still play GBA games with a 3-in-1 or even a M3 GBA Expansion Pack but it won't have all the cool features like RTS, cheats etc..

I also heard lots of issues with the M3 DS Real as far as lag goes. I think I might be better off with another G6 DS Real then but they are hard to find. I think dealxtreme is sold out.

GaciX 69

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Man, M3DS Real is just fine, I've tried it with a Sandisk 8GB Class 6 microSD and I haven't had any lag in Castlevania:DoS and The World Ends With You. From what I know, the issues with this games are in video parts and not in game. In the case of TWEWY, I just played the problematic video in a PC emulator and then put the save in the card. M3DS Real is not too problematic in that way, it's just a problem of getting a good microSD. From my experience, Sandisk are the best available, Kingston may do the work too, if you don't play TWEWY.

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
M3 DS REAL is just fine. I used 4GB Kingston Class 4 and it worked fine with Castlevania:DoS.
Well you can read the reviews here on GBAtemp or watch videos on youtube.

But I would definately recommend M3 DS Real. The perfect bundle(which comes with GBA, Rumble and Ram expansion) is cheaper than Cyclo DS...

I would definately recommend it.

ProgMetalGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... I have an M3 DS Real (with Sandisk 4gb SDHC and Sandisk 1gb) and I haven't ever had issues with Castlevania: DoS and the TWEWY problem was fixed awhile back in an update. I have had lag issues in the Tony Hawk games when other skaters are around (so basically only in races, and only then when it's close). Additionally, Metroid Prime: Hunters had some lag, but it was extremely infrequent. As far as videos or game videos go, I've never had an issue with either of those either. RTS doesn't work on all games at this time, but it works on most, and their updates have been steadily improving that thus far.

As far as G6 vs M3, there really isn't any competition at this point (since Sakura was developed). Since you have a G6, you know how bad the GUI is. I had M3 Real far before Sakura, so I know it sucks hard. It is incredibly slow (the fact that you must wait during scrolling to load is a killer), ugly, and somewhat unresponsive on the homescreen the last time I used it. Sakura is undeniably the fastest, smoothest, and best-looking GUI out at the moment. It uses iPhone-style flick navigation, has integrated media functions that can be controlled while running in the background, etc. Admittedly, Sakura DLDI support blows, but it comes with Touchpod (the old-school original interface) built in, so you can just dual-boot and avoid the issue until it gets better.

I suppose you might get slightly better performance out of a G6 from what I've heard, but I've never had any significant issues with my M3 and it's features blow away the G6.

You should look at some videos of the firmware and check out the gbatemp Sakura FAQ if you haven't yet.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
saulin said:
zerofalcon said:

I would like no lag what so ever. No freezes, all games working. The G6 DS Real may lack Real Time Save but it's fast. All games seem to play as good as they do on the original carts.

Yes.. both games tested without lag
Tried panasonic SD formatter first.. then formatted with windows xp using FAT32 cluster 16KB offers nice speed and decent disk space

saulin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
zerofalcon said:
saulin said:
zerofalcon said:

Yes.. both games tested without lag
Tried panasonic SD formatter first.. then formatted with windows xp using FAT32 cluster 16KB offers nice speed and decent disk space

Has the lag issue been isolated to just being a memory card issue. Or could it also be a hardware issue. Maybe some M3 Real carts have lag while others don't?

The reason I say this is because I get different feedback. Some people swear that a Kingston 4GB Class 4 has no lag whatsoever on any game. While others say you must have a Class 6 card and not just any Class 6 while others say that you need a Japanese card which has no class rating. Like someone mentioned above, I also heard that sandisk Class 6 cards are awesome and should have no problems.

The lag issue while it could be minor and not in gameplay just makes me want to get another G6 Real (if I could find one) instead. Because the G6 real has never given me such issues with any game whatsoever. The only difference between the G6 and the M3 Real in features is that the M3 Real has RTS support and can run Sakura. But Sakura doesn't interest me much because I believe RTS is not availabled with Sakura?

So from what I heard as far as a flashcart go with awesome support for both GAB/NDS and the one with the best features, there is nothing out there that beats the M3 DS Real Perfect bundle? considering there is a memory card that will not lag on any game.

I don't like going by the reviews posted here because they are old and they were done early when the carts were released and may not include all the features the flash carts have plus at that time maybe they could have been the best but then something else came out that is better?

Oh yeah one more thing. For those that have a memory card that you have tested with the problematic games. Could you please also post the model, serial number or a link to that exact card? Anything that would help me make sure that I do get a card that will not have any isses with the M3 DS Real. I think a card that is 2GB-4GB is all I need.

I guess the games to test it with are:

Castlevania: Down Of Sorrow
The World Is Not Enough (Although this was fixed with a firmware update? it seems)
The Tony Hawk Games?
Metroid prime: Hunters?

shadow999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
saulin said:
Has the lag issue been isolated to just being a memory card issue. Or could it also be a hardware issue. Maybe some M3 Real carts have lag while others don't?
Perhaps. However it is difficult to tell. Have M3 chnaged their hardware at all during the life cycle of the M3 Real?

saulin said:
The reason I say this is because I get different feedback. Some people swear that a Kingston 4GB Class 4 has no lag whatsoever on any game. While others say you must have a Class 6 card and not just any Class 6 while others say that you need a Japanese card which has no class rating. Like someone mentioned above, I also heard that sandisk Class 6 cards are awesome and should have no problems.
Memory cards are weird. Most MicroSD cards are not geared towards performance (which is what this flashcart and most others need). Two identical cards can have completely different speed characteristics.
The Class 6 vs Class 4 vs Class 2 is sort of irrelevant because the class rating only specifies the minimum write speed. It has nothing to do with the read speed at all (which is more important for a flashcart).
For example, my Kingston Class 4 is faster than my Transcend Class 6 card.

QUOTE(saulin @ Jun 17 2009, 10:11 AM)
The lag issue while it could be minor and not in gameplay just makes me want to get another G6 Real (if I could find one) instead. Because the G6 real has never given me such issues with any game whatsoever. The only difference between the G6 and the M3 Real in features is that the M3 Real has RTS support and can run Sakura. But Sakura doesn't interest me much because I believe RTS is not availabled with Sakura?
I believe that the G6 is extremely similar to the M3 Real. Am I am correct? If it is, it may be the case that you have a fast memory card in your G6 now. If you get a new one, it may lag. Even on a G6.
However this is just speculation.

By the way, Sakura has RTS support.
yaynds.gif

saulin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Joe88 said:
G6 cannot use an external memory card, its built in and not expandable

Eaxactly. That's why is fast!
smile.gif

Mmmm I guess I might order the M3 Real with GBA expansion pack. But I will wait for some more posts on regards to which memory card to get for it.

saulin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
saulin said:
Joe88 said:
G6 cannot use an external memory card, its built in and not expandable

Eaxactly. That's why is fast!
smile.gif

Mmmm I guess I might order the M3 Real with GBA expansion pack. But I will wait for some more posts on regards to which memory card to get for it.

***Edit***

Well I decided to buy this

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14165

and this

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2396

I went for the free shipping and is coming to Canada. I think it will take about a month? but is ok because I already have a DS and Flash Cart. I went with a Japanese MicroSD card. This was the only one in stock. I hope it's a good one because the others were sold out which makes me think if this one will give me problems. At least it's cheap. I really hope I don't have to pay like $20 extra in duty and taxes. There was no place to add a note so that DX ships this as a gift or with a vey very low value.

From all the reading I did, the M3 Real is very picky with memory cards. I really hope this one works perfect. Otherwise I will have to get another one locally and try my luck. This really sucks, having to find the right memory card. It's so much easier finding memory cards for the PSP, Lexar cards are so damn cheap and very fast. They beat the expensive Sandisk cards I bought before.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its really certain games that are picky with cards, and thats goes for all carts

like castelvania and TWEWY

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the M3 Real when it was brand new. I have never had an issue with game lags and video lags or anything. I have a Class 4 8 GB SanDisk MicroSDHC.

saulin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I thought I would get back to this topic to report my findings.

I bought this

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14165

and this

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2396

It arrived today. Shipping was faster than expected
smile.gif

Well what can I say. I'm disappointed with this combo. I guess this memory card is too slow for the M3 Real. I guess you do need a fast Hcsd card. Games tested so far. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Metroid Prime Pinball. Dawn of Sorrow lags a tiny bit and the sound stutters a few times in the intro movie. Metroid Pinball has the problem with stuttering sound while letting the demo play. I have yet to play the game. I'm just testing. Oh yeah also Dawn of Sorry ahs graphics glitches while playing the intro movie.

I tried the SDFormatter utility with different options and no luck. Although I managed to get Dawn of Sorrow to play the intro lag free, but the sound stutters. In Metroid Prime Pinball the sounds stutters a lot. I tried a 4GB Lexar HCSD Card and the same results. I also tried formatting with windows using 16KB cluster for the 2GB card and 32KB cluster for the 4GB card but no change.

My G6 DS works perfect with these games. The only thing about the M3 DS Real is that it has RTS for NDS games and the G6 DS Real doesn't.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alot of people on the DX claim they recieved fake 2GB cards (and a few have verified it)
so you might have a fake card, and lexar just makes junky cards

im not sure where you live bit if your in the US
get a 4-8GB SDHC (either sandisk or kingston) class 4-6 from newegg

I dont have those problems mentioned with my card and I played all those games

saulin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure is a legit Japanese card. But it's just a Micro SD card. It has no class because it's not a SDHC card. It's for a gift so I'll just gonna give it like that. I don't have money to be trying different cards. I was hopping to nail it with a japanese card but I didn't. That was the only Japanese card that DX had in stock as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: +1