wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
homebrew.gif
G.O.R.F. v1 FINAL
Update
gorfcap.png

G.O.R.F. has reached the "Final" stages of development. Be sure to report any bugs that you may find.

download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Source
discuss.png
Discuss

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? How long would it have taken under normal circumstances?
(Note that I'm a college student without a job who devoted nearly all his entire free time into this project)

Seeker_G

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried it and it works great on my Acekard2 w/EZflash 3-in-1.

Thanks for bringing a great game to the DS (and gba). I am always looking for good shmups on the DS, especially vertical ones. GORF has always been one of my favorite classic shooters because it combined several great games into one. Just the fact that it had multiple levels and voice was pretty impressive for its time. I spent a lot of quarters in that machine back in the 80s.

I think you did a great job with your port, even including the voice and some extras as well. The only thing I noticed missing was the "sparkling" graphic effect that the invaders and the shield had, but given the limited resolution (and size) of the gba/ds screen it probably would not be that noticeable anyway (if it could even be done). This will definitely be a permanent addition to my flash card. Now WarhawkDS, DSinvaders, and Tyrian have a new homebrew friend.
smile.gif

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably possible, but not the way I did things. I used 16 color palettes for most of the graphics (excluding the art gallery and Mission Matrix of course) and I didn't have enough colors to go around for the effect. I could have moved the shields to their own layer- I had one left after the border, background, and font- but I was having considerable trouble finding a free character block and screen block about halfway through the design process, and just gave up on it. There probably is a spare character and screen block lying around somewhere (a game like GORF doesn't make heavy demands of the GBA hardware), but the way Dragon BASIC uses tiles makes it tougher to hunt down and use them than it probably should be.

It's really not too hard to pull off this effect, if you've got the room for it. Just create a graphic speckled with different colors, then change those colors with rapid palette swaps. I was able to do this with the ship's last explosion, since it's a sprite and I find those to be a lot more versatile and accommodating than tiles.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right, I finally figured out how to squeeze in the graphics for the shields. The latest build is on my web site if you'd care to have a look. The shimmering effect isn't quite the same as it was in the arcade game, but at least the shields are no longer straight grey and red like they were in previous builds.

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
Seeker_G said:
Thanks for bringing a great game to the DS (and gba). I am always looking for good shmups on the DS, especially vertical ones. GORF has always been one of my favorite classic shooters because it combined several great games into one. Just the fact that it had multiple levels and voice was pretty impressive for its time. I spent a lot of quarters in that machine back in the 80s.

Very on point, and couldnt have said any better. I also spent a lot of time/quarters at the arcades and 7-11 as a kid (Star Castle was the reason for my first tardy/hooky hehe) , and being able to get down on some classics like GORF on my DS is pretty freakin awesome =), so thanks ArugulaZ for your time and effort making this, and i hope to see more classics remade for the DS/GBA from you =)

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys! Yeah, Star Castle was one of my brother's favorites, although he always seems to forget that it exists until the next time he plays it. I enjoyed that game too... it was always the first cartridge in my Vectrex until Protector/YASI was released.

Annnyway, I've since added a couple of voice samples, a little bug fixing, and a data clear option to GORF, but there's no reason to post an update on the site for it. I consider it housecleaning rather than a genuine update to V2. From this point on, unless I find a SIGNIFICANT bug there probably aren't going to be more fixes to the software itself. I would like to add box artwork and an instruction manual at a later date, however.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.