FYI..I Love my R4 !

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by netaware, Jul 16, 2008.

Jul 16, 2008

FYI..I Love my R4 ! by netaware at 2:10 PM (4,472 Views / 0 Likes) 47 replies

1. netaware
    OP

Member netaware Advanced Member

United States
    I have my R4 for about 2 years and I love it! I can't understand why so many people are pissed at the R4 team.
    Who really cares about SDHC support?
    I have a 1GB card and that is plenty for the amount of different games that I play at one time. How many games does someone need on a their card?
    Can someone explain to me why all these people hate the R4 so much?

2. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    No one hates the R4. It was one of the best flashcarts for a long time.

The problem with the R4 is it's popularity, and userbase. When more idiots sign up and ask "Whar 2 buy R4???? LOL" people get annoyed, and spew hate at said idiot.

3. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    problem is the updates or else it misses nothing so important

4. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    The only reason I can see for this post is for you to argue with people about why you love your R4. It goes like this:
    1. You say "Me likey R4! Why don't you?"
    2. Someone says "I hate R4 because ....."
    3. Then you say "Thats dumb and your dumb."
    In the end, all we have is a pointless thread. If you really wanted to know why people are choosing other carts over the R4, you would have used the search function (or maybe look through the "which flashcart?" thread.) This seems like you are trolling.

5. netaware
    OP

United States
    Dude, I'm not trolling!
    I just see posts with people complaining about the R4 thats all.
    I thought I would post to say that I love mine and wonder why people who have don't.
    What updates, except for SDHC, do people think is needed.

Just wondering thats all.

6. spectral

spectral Newbie

The problem with the R4 is that its now outdated. Other carts are cheaper with more features and better compatibility. Due to the lack of updates there are now games that work on pretty much every other cart and not the R4. while at the moment its not any major releases, it is only a matter of time until it is.

Some of the feature missing from the R4 are:

Wii connectivity
    Real time save
    Slow Motion
    In game Menu
    SDHC support
    GBA support integrated into the FW(with slot 2 device)
    Text reader

Also just because you dont need more than 2GB for what you want to play doesn't mean others dont.

7. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    There's no point arguing who's is best, as rightly stated by gratefulbuddy.
    I too have seen many posts from users knocking the R4, but always choose to ignore it. I've got two of them being "flogged to death" by my sons and know they always worked flawlessly (don't know of any rom that doesn't work - even with a so-called out-dated firmware), games load fast, all homebrew I've tried have worked, mp3 & dpg files work fine.
    Who cares about my joy...only me & that suits me just fine!

Other cons: no SDHC support; max. 2gb microsd = big deal! ...around 40 games, a soundtrack or two, couple of videos...what more is there to life? [​IMG]

8. spectral

spectral Newbie

Off the top of my head the new hulk game is one that wont work on the R4 at least not without messing around with patches. The R4 also doesn't support 1Mbit saves. As I mentioned previously just because to some people SDHC support isn't needed, some people want it. All that aside the fact is the R4 is also more expensive than some carts that don't have these issues so why buy the R4 now? Plus some people like having wii conectivity and real time saves.

9. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    This is my point exactly. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=956...t&p=1276852

10. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    R4 is fine for the people who ALREADY have it (despite the lack of new firmwares). But is not an option for new flashcart buyers, there is a lot of better options at same or lower price.

11. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    I love my R4 too, I don't really give a damn about the extra features. As long as I have Cheat codes, a customizable background and compatibility with the games I play I'm good. I have my DSTT as a back up flashcard if a game won't work, my DSTT is primarily for videos.

12. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    In my opinion, don't buy an R4 today, because there are better choices.

13. pokemongalaxy

Banned pokemongalaxy Banned

Canada
    exactly, though I got an ak2 after buying my r4

14. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    I have an acekard rpg but it's been sitting in the drawer collecting dust. I continue to use r4 to play nds games, and feature to me doesn't really matter. As long as it can play nds games.

15. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    Good points:
    The R4 was good. Support was alright since a lot of people used it. Updates fix games. Was a great cart back then. If you still own one and don't need SDHC, YOU DON'T NEED TO UPGRADE. MOST popular games work as the R4 team still updates for those.

Bad points:
    Too many clones. Too many idiot buy clones/buy them extremely overpriced. Not a good idea to BUY one RIGHT NOW as there are better carts just simply because of more features for a lower price and have proven themselves to be reliable.

Overall:
    If you still own one, it's fine because you can still play your games and you really don't care about SDHC. The R4 Team was great back then. If you have a broken one and want a new cart, it is suggested you get something else.
    If you do care about SDHC, you can look at the cheaper carts like the DSTT, AK2, and iTouch.
    If you do want a cart with good features for a cheap price, get the ones listed above.
    R4s are not the best to buy as of now and probably will continue to be like that. There's just so many people who talk about R4s and don't even know what a flashcart is (R4=Flashcart lololol). It is not stupid if you OWN an R4, especially when you bought it when it was good. It might be considered stupid if you bought one now though.

I'm done with my very long post. It's really hard to convince people who want to buy an R4(A guy a while ago was screaming I WANT TO BUY AN R4 even though we already said the reasons not to get one and he said I DON'T CARE ABOUT SDHC. Alright! YES NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO USE SDHC. JUST GET SOMETHING ELSE BESIDES AN R4 FOR A MORE RELIABLE FUTURE.) and people who already like the way it is...

BTW, I own an R4...

16. pokemongalaxy

Banned pokemongalaxy Banned

Canada
    agreed

17. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    People who ask where to buy an R4 piss me off. I say there are better cards out there, they insist on the R4.

18. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    Well, they buy it with their own money, complaining and crying they're n00b might piss them off.

I mean, its their money, let them decide what will they do with them.

back on topic: I, too, don't know why people hate it, as it won't disappoint those who just want to play games.

Although, sure many cards are better than R4 these days

19. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    They can buy whatever they want with their money, but the last guy who was here posted a topic about buying the R4 and a lot of people tried to help him but he wasn't listening so why did he post a topic in the first place? If he wanted to buy an R4 so bad, he should have without making a topic where a bunch of people keep saying the R4 is not a good idea to buy.

20. netaware
    OP

United States
    Right now my R4 plays most games and thats what I bought it for. DONE
    Long Live my R4 !