Hacking Fuzzy Icon on R4iGold 3DS RTS

starburst

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
About a year ago, I bought an R4iGold 3DS RTS flashcard from nds-card.com. I used it to hack my N3DS SNES and its firmware was immediately restored to play DS games. I do not play DS games very often, but other than a couple of pin-connecting issues, it worked.
Yesterday, I decided to try some DS games and this is what I found:

01.jpg 02.jpg

It now shows an empty title box and instead of the Konami-game icon, it shows a wall of blue lines and dots over a white background. It is actually animated (Matrix-style), like the icons for DSi games.

According to what I have read, the icon of the flashcard does not change when flashing its firmware using ntrboot_flasher, but I tried three different firmware revisions anyway (A7, Plus and D.) All of them worked, but the icon and title box remained empty.
Just in case, I reformatted its micro SD card, tried a different micro SD card and even tried a different version of the Wood kernel. No changes.

Any ideas of what may cause the fuzzy icon?

The card itself seems to work. I have not used it extensively, but all games load and there were not crashes during the couple of minutes that I tried them.
There are some contact issues with the pins, but nothing annoying. It always works after one or two retries. I do not know however if the problem is caused by the pins that connect the flashcard to the console or by the pins that read the micro SD card.

Here is a picture of my flashcard. According to ntrboot_flasher, it is HW Type b7db5bb5, Rev. a7a7a7a7. On the back, there is a "D" printed in the corner.
It is currently running the firmware HW A7 and Wood kernel 1.64.

03.jpg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: starburst

starburst

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
TurdPooCharger, my man, I already tried re-flashing the flashcard. I actually installed three different firmware revisions yesterday, the 'problem' was that all of them worked but the icon remained messed up.

While reading about restoring the DSi function (what you suggested), I also read the section Clear Home Menu extdata. And since I had nothing to lose, I delete it. Boom! The flashcard icon was restored on the following boot.
Fuck it! It was way easier than searching for different firmware revisions, re-flashing the flashcard three times or re-formatting its micro SD card.

Cheers, mate. You pointed me in the right direction.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TurdPooCharger, my man, I already tried re-flashing the flashcard. I actually installed three different firmware revisions yesterday, the 'problem' was that all of them worked but the icon remained messed up.

While reading about restoring the DSi function (what you suggested), I also read the section Clear Home Menu extdata. And since I had nothing to lose, I delete it. Boom! The flashcard icon was restored on the following boot.
Fuck it! It was way easier than searching for different firmware revisions, re-flashing the flashcard three times or re-formatting its micro SD card.

This one is on you. Thanks for solving it. MissingNo edition DS (flash)carts are going to be more rare from now on. :)

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

I didn't know the home menu extdata also contained the days for DS carts... But I'm glad you solved the issue!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol