FUZE4 teaches coding through games on the Nintendo Switch

banner.jpg

Stuck at home and are looking for something fun, yet educational? FUZE4 for the Nintendo Switch might be what you are looking for! Developed by FUZE Technologies Ltd, a company founded by one of our very own community members @JonSilvera , this software helps you learn coding via your favourite activity: gaming. Yes, with FUZE4, you can learn how to code and make your own game right on your Switch!

hello world.png

Developed during the last two years by a team of four and released in late 2019, FUZE4 is a learning platform disguised as a game but is more relevant now than ever. In home confinement, children or even yourself are likely looking for something to do, and learning a new skill wouldn’t do any harm.

When Jon approached us with FUZE4, I applauded his initiative to make coding accessible in a fun way, especially for children. Indeed, based in the UK, FUZE Technologies Ltd has forged ahead its mission to help everyone learn how to code via thousands of coding sessions in schools, STEM and career events over the last seven years. They even advocate to include video games in the school computing curriculum as a means to increase the number of students taking computer science. With this in mind, FUZE is encouraging younger audience to get into computer science with their new app.

FUZE4 comes with over 30 tutorials and even more examples, freely downloadable projects and YouTube videos to get you started. There’s also the free FUZE Coding Projects Book 1 that gives coding enthusiasts an insight with what’s possible with FUZE4. However, I found the tutorials to involve too much reading but you can always have more “hands-on” practice by turning to the programming tool. I found the app to be quite intuitive in this sense, diving into the thick of things. But younger users might need some assistance at first but, with a little patience, the videos and projects book should provide ample support. More over, FUZE4 supports input from the touchscreen, Joy-Cons and controller to better suit your liking.

Once you boot the app, you can start coding right away with the built-in engine and assets; or you can try out the sample games like a ninja endless runner or a shooter with random objects like giant hot dogs and steaks (!) hurtling at you . These demos allow you to see how it works, take inspiration from them or even modify the code. In this fashion, FUZE4 encourages the user to tinker with the tools provided and come up with something unique and share your projects with your Nintendo Friends.

However, even if you’re no beginner to coding, FUZE4 allows you to express your imagination. For instance, Jon pointed out Airtournament, a four player 3D Dogfight with self created artwork and four realtime camera views, created with FUZE4. The app has a buzzing community of game creators sharing their original projects to inspire others.

If you’re still on the fence, Jon shared some exclusive news with us as his team has ‘FUZE Player’ in the works. The latter is a totally free app for the Nintendo Switch, set to release later this year, that allows players to try out complete, bug-free games made via FUZE4. This way, you'll be able to experience what's possible with the software and should they entice you, you can then turn to the game-creating tool, FUZE4, to create your own projects. Priced at $19.99 on the eShop, it's a recommended investment if you want to get more serious with coding or learn a new skill during the lockdown.

fuze player.png

If you get creating with FUZE4, do share your projects with us!

:arrow: FUZE4 on eShop
:arrow: Main FUZE website
:arrow: FUZE community website
:arrow: FUZE Youtube channel

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
This thing is available for a year at this point, so I won't count on an exploit suddenly appearing. A cool project though - if I had money to spare, I would definitely get a copy to screw around with it.

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ooh. I haven't tried this one yet. I'v been trying to make this game idea I've had for a long time, but haven't managed to find an engine or language I'm comfortable with yet. Having to plug in an external keyboard'll be annoying though.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Remember that game with the hidden Ruby implementation? What makes this acceptable while that wasn't
The fact that it was hidden. Nintendo doesn't care if you secure an interpreter and stick it into your game as a feature, they do care when you lie about its existence and don't mention it during the approval process. If the developer had talked to Nintendo about the hidden Ruby interpreter, assured them it was safe and had them test it then I have no doubt it would have been approved.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since SmileBasic came out Fuze dropped in price so thinking about grabbing that too.
Glad they are not content to just sit in obscurity and get a player app out there and let us actually download works.
Maybe something changed but I coulda sworn data exchanging was ad-hoc wireless transfers only.
I guess with this it has changed so for a quick 20 that's not so bad.
I'd still recommend SmileBasic for its overall power but if ya like legally programing on the switch with lots of locks and no PC tools then getting both would seem like a good thing to do.

Exploit wise, SmileBasic3 on the 3DS was removed once for an exploit found but it sucks when the apps get removed due to that.

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
WTF ppl..

I got this a week a go to tinker around with it a bit.
Maybe try my hands on some shump.

And all you guys are on about are them "plox exploitttzzzz".

How about some nice words on the stability and enourmous asset size of Fuze4 ?

I for one look forward to a community that gets some cool code going with this, as it shows quite some potential.

Coding on your Nintendo System. And even 3D support.
Pretty cool

waldron

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Iv been using Fuze since last October starting as a complete beginner to coding to now understanding enough to be able to create my own games and play other peoples.
This is not just another coding language or platform for you to code on, its a community that supports each other,it would be hard to say that Fuze hasn't impacted my life, put it this way i'm on 960 hours of play time since last october XD.
I tried getting into coding in the past but was put off after having to download this and that, but with fuze you got the whole package from inbuilt help,website help, Discord help all the help youl ever need to get into coding even the developers have taken there time to help me directly !. Honestly i couldn't recommend a better way to get into coding.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What type of code is it teaching? Be such a shame if they are teaching something like, Python. Although it is a good starting point. Meh, interesting none than less.
Basic but better

waldron

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ooh. I haven't tried this one yet. I'v been trying to make this game idea I've had for a long time, but haven't managed to find an engine or language I'm comfortable with yet. Having to plug in an external keyboard'll be annoying though.
you got a few options to plug in a keyboard,either into the dock or usb to c-type adapter if undocked.personally i just use the screen keyboard mostly.its very easy to learn coding on Fuze with great dev / community support

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you got a few options to plug in a keyboard,either into the dock or usb to c-type adapter if undocked.personally i just use the screen keyboard mostly.its very easy to learn coding on Fuze with great dev / community support
I know how to plug an external keyboard in. I was simply stating that having to do that on switch would be annoying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"