Fusée Gelée FAQ by Kate Temkin

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by Salazar-DE, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Well, if we want to get technical, it's probably a bad idea to use those shitty USB C cables that first came out shortly after the spec came out (I think that you can still order them from China. Don't.)

peteruk likes this.
  2. andijames

andijames GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Manchester
    Isn't that the same for any cable that comes out straight after a spec is announced? Any cable you buy these days for 5 quid from USB A to C will do the job. To get technical.

3. Salazar-DE
    OP

Salazar-DE Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Please give the following link a read. It's very important regarding how Nintendo has manufactured their USB-C port.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...aws/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=comment_header

TL;DR, bad USB-C cables can damage power supplies and/or the Switch itself.

TotalInsanity4 and Biff627 like this.
  4. andijames

andijames GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Manchester
    Isn't USB-C a standard though? I.e how does one fuck up a standard? The cables aren't the culprit here it sounds like it's more Nintendo.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Can’t you just make a few nand dumps and compare to verify? I thought that’s why the cable was suggested.

peteruk likes this.
  6. andijames

andijames GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Manchester
    The cable is purely to transfer data from what the post says. So it's not going via the dock or doing anything fancy. It's going to transfer data. From that I presume the usual USB-C standard will do just fine.

7. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    there are definitely different usb-c cables out there huawei makes 2 different ones for their phones thankfully marked with the purple and green tip, the cable that comes with the galaxy s8 wont charge any other phone i've tried it with and the nintendo cable is different from all of those. that makes five distinct usb-c cables in my house alone.

Memoir likes this.
  8. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    USB C is a standard... For the port... What the cable allows for and does don't exactly follow a "standard"..

9. andijames

andijames GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Manchester
    Don't galaxy use a specific pin for fast charging though? It doesn't mean they don't adhere to the standards it just means they kind of wire in their own methods to a standard (which is bloody annoying and against the point)

10. HamBone41801

HamBone41801 Vipera’s Alt

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    oh good! for a minute there, I was worried tiny soldering would be involved.

11. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    It's not just the Switch, those cables were frying phones and tablets as well
    Yes, USB C is a standard. Cheap USB cables typically don't follow the standard and have far too little resistance for the power that flows through them, though

12. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    basically lower firmwares will get coldboot while newer firms have to load into it each boot or you could go the hardmod method and get coldboot on all versions

13. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Now which firmwares actually get said cold boot. How low

14. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    thats unknown

15. Nkrlz

Nkrlz Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2016
    Monaco
    I read the FAQ, and i'm quite happy. But it was so, so, so, so, so white hat, that i will go out of my way to buy a modchip from team executer (assuming they work as well).

16. Timburpton

Timburpton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 18, 2014
    If everything goes according to the plan, this will pretty much open source a mod chip. Should prompt for some competition and price drops.

17. yardie
    This message by yardie has been removed from public view by Issac, Apr 7, 2018, Reason: Bickering, grow up! (or cleaning up replies to said bickering).
    Apr 6, 2018
  18. andijames

andijames GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Manchester
    Why?

19. yardie
    This message by yardie has been removed from public view by Issac, Apr 7, 2018, Reason: Bickering, grow up! (or cleaning up replies to said bickering).
    Apr 6, 2018
  20. andijames
    This message by andijames has been removed from public view by Issac, Apr 7, 2018, Reason: Bickering, grow up! (or cleaning up replies to said bickering).
    Apr 6, 2018
  21. yardie
    Apr 6, 2018
  22. andijames
    This message by andijames has been removed from public view by Issac, Apr 7, 2018, Reason: Bickering, grow up! (or cleaning up replies to said bickering).
    Apr 6, 2018
  23. yardie
    Apr 6, 2018
  24. andijames
    Apr 6, 2018
  25. yardie
    Apr 6, 2018
  26. andijames
    Apr 6, 2018
  27. yardie
    Apr 6, 2018
  28. andijames
    Apr 6, 2018
  29. yardie
    Apr 6, 2018
  30. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    So everything below 3.0.1 is still the best place to be and offers more then above that. Good that i listened and stayed on 3.0

31. andijames
    Apr 6, 2018
  32. yardie
    Apr 6, 2018
  33. andijames
    Apr 6, 2018
  34. yardie
    Apr 6, 2018
  35. andijames
    Apr 6, 2018
  36. yardie
    This message by yardie has been removed from public view by Issac, Apr 7, 2018, Reason: Bickering, grow up!.
    Apr 6, 2018
  37. andijames
    This message by andijames has been removed from public view by Issac, Apr 7, 2018, Reason: Bickering, grow up!.
    Apr 6, 2018
  38. Flux0

Flux0 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I don't pay attention to Switch news for a couple days and stuff looks like its hit light-speed ahead.

Keep your excitement in check until something is actually out because you never know what could happen to stop it. That said things are looking very promising!

39. machinoman

machinoman GBAtemp Fan

Feb 12, 2011
    United States
    it won't be released until next summer for three reasons -
    1) they want to give nvidia a chance to prepare non switch tegra products for the boot rom hack
    2) it is morally the right thing to do and most importantly
    3) they haven't started working on it yet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.