• Maybe. Not full speed though.

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

CherrySkitty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Please excuse my ignorance on most things regarding clock speeds and processors, RAM, etc.. ok? I don't know as much as many of you do. Please don't make stupid "holier than thou" posts or troll.

Well.. I think it could be possible since the PS1's CPU was clocked at 33.86 Mhz. The 3DS has 2x 266 Mhz processors, and they run at 800 Mhz at "clock speed" (what is that thing? I read it from Wikipedia .-.)

So, the 3DS should be powerful enough to emulate PS1. I have no doubts about that. The question is... would it run most games at full speed?
I have my doubts on a N64 emulator running at 100% but I think that this is perfectly possible with the PS1. So what do you think, guys?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Older Processors.
The "Intel Pentium 4" 2.26ghz processor scores 288.

Newer Processors.
The "Intel Core 2 Duo P7350" 2.00ghz processor scores 1,318.

So it's 100% possible for a processor with LESS ghz to be better. More ghz does not mean the processor is better in every case. Only when comparing two of the SAME processor.

Ghz is like RPM in cars. It describes how fast it's cycling. How much it does per cycle, however, varies between processor models, like it depends on what gear you're in in a car.

Let's say you have two cars, both in second gear, doing 4000 RPM. One of the cars accelerates up to 6000 RPM, in the same gear. It is now going faster than it was previously.
If the second car kept accelerating to the point that it changed gears and dropped down to 3000 RPM, it would appear to be going slower (if you only compare RPM values), but it's going faster than the first car.

The reason people think that a higher ghz rating means a processor is faster is because of this. If you raise the ghz, the processor will be going aster than it was previously. However, when comparing two different processors, you cannot compare them by just ghz.

CherrySkitty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Older Processors.

Newer Processors.

So it's 100% possible for a processor with LESS ghz to be better. More ghz does not mean the processor is better in every case. Only when comparing two of the SAME processor.

Ghz is like RPM in cars. It describes how fast it's cycling. How much it does per cycle, however, varies between processor models, like it depends on what gear you're in in a car.

Let's say you have two cars, both in second gear, doing 4000 RPM. One of the cars accelerates up to 6000 RPM, in the same gear. It is now going faster than it was previously.
If the second car kept accelerating to the point that it changed gears and dropped down to 3000 RPM, it would appear to be going slower (if you only compare RPM values), but it's going faster than the first car.

The reason people think that a higher ghz rating means a processor is faster is because of this. If you raise the ghz, the processor will be going aster than it was previously. However, when comparing two different processors, you cannot compare them by just ghz.

Ok, I think I get it x3. Thanks Rydian! You definitely know what you're talking about. Thanks again xD, and what's your opinion about the topic? o.o

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
D'aww, thanks.

We can't tell much about it until we know the 3DS's specs. For example the PSP's specs would not be able to emulate PS1 games normally, but since it's got close hardware to the PS1 (same family, at least) it can virtualize a large part of it, making it a much less stressful task. I'm not saying this is what's going to happen with the 3DS (I don't think that's actually possible), but it's just a "we can't really tell" example.

Generally we know whether something is possible or not by...

A - Testing.
B - Comparing previous tests.

The thing is the 3DS is not publicly hacked yet.

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The console talking about has not been hacked yet. What does that mean? No, Its not possible at said time.

PS1 for DS O_O!

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sightlight said:
The console talking about has not been hacked yet. What does that mean? No, Its not possible at said time.

PS1 for DS O_O!
I'm sure the OP meant in the future.

I'm not too sure about emulation, though. The 3DS looks more powerful, but not in the right ways.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sightlight said:

PS1 for DS O_O!
It's on the wii, so it wouldn't really be weird.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's hard to say since I'm not totally familiar with the 3DS's capabilities.
The GP2X Caanoo has a 533mhz processor that can be overclocked to around 800mhz, and it still can't do PS1 full speed.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Duskye said:
sightlight said:

PS1 for DS O_O!
It's on the wii, so it wouldn't really be weird.
And the Wii can't emulate it fully. That's pretty sad, considering it's 2 generations ahead.

CherrySkitty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@Rydian: What do you exactly mean by virtualizing? o.o
@sightlight: On the 3DS...
@Slyakin: Not in the.. right ways? =O

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS can easily emulate the PS1, and so can the Wii; the emulator just isn't optimized to the point of playing all the games fullspeed in a stable condition.

The PSP is only 333 mhz, and it can do it (though that isn't entirely emulation, but you get my point.)

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CherrySkitty said:
@sightlight: On the 3DS...
@Slyakin: Not in the.. right ways? =O
What I meant is that the 3DS and the PSP are different in standpoints. One may have a better processor, but the processor could be used differently.

Since the PSP was made by Sony, it's rather easy for them to manipulate certain things (pulling strings, if you want) to make the PSP emulate the PS1. The 3DS? Not so much.

I'm betting on an N64 emulator though.
wink.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
CherrySkitty said:
Virtualization is another answer to running a game/program on a different platform. It can have much lighter requirements, but it generally requires that the systems have a lot in common (so you can't really virtualize an SNES on a PC, you have to emulate it... but you can virtualize a PC on a PC).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4FXEObkUG0&feature=related[/youtube]
There's somebody installing/using Linux inside a virtual environment in Windows, for example.

People use virtualization to test things, or to run programs that normally wouldn't run on the installed OS.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
demonicstrife said:
The 3DS can easily emulate the PS1, and so can the Wii; the emulator just isn't optimized to the point of playing all the games fullspeed in a stable condition.

The PSP is only 333 mhz, and it can do it (though that isn't entirely emulation, but you get my point.)

The fact that the PSP can do it is totally irrelevant to whether the 3DS can. The PSP and PS1 are based on a MIPS architecture. So you're basically eliminating a significant portion of the required emulation since the architecture is identical. The 3DS is based on ARM. The DSi is 133Mhz, so even on the outside the 3DS might be 200-250Mhz but not much faster. Having to emulate a totally different architecture is probably out of scope of the 3DS capabilities even if the PS1 only ran at 30Mhz.

As said previously the GP2X is also based on ARM9 and cannot achieve full speed emulation. The GP2X at 500MHz is at least 2-4x more powerful than the 3DS. It also has significant benefits of having the target console as open source, so you're not having to also spend the time reverse engineering whatever code Nintendo has to call its custom GPU as well.

Architecture wise it seems unlikely if not impossible to get a fullspeed PS1 emulator on the DSi or 3DS. You might be able to cobble together a semi workable one.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think or hope it's possible . This would allow me to finally put up my PSP. I've read somewhere that it is a rule of thumb that it takes 10 times the power of the original hardware in order to emulate it on another system. so with the PS1 we need a clock speed of 330MHz.
unsure.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ferret7463 said:
I think or hope it's possible . This would allow me to finally put up my PSP. I've read somewhere that it is a rule of thumb that it takes 10 times the power of the original hardware in order to emulate it on another system. so with the PS1 we need a clock speed of 330MHz.
unsure.gif
Older Processors.

Newer Processors.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
ferret7463 said:
unsure.gif
Older Processors.

Newer Processors.

I do see your point and considering that the original PS1 processor was designed around 1995 it was extremely bottle necked. Now we are here in the future with our shake and bake aluminum jump suits and flying cars, have way more advance processors which most are not bottle necked or "higher geared". Based on your analysis a PS1 Emu will be a high probability. Now we just need Dr. Light or Wily to crack the system's hardware!
nayps3.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey