Full report on my downgrade attempt (9.9.0-26E New 3DS)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dedede, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Dedede
    OP

Dedede Banned

Banned
    Oct 18, 2015
    -snip-

Last edited by Dedede, Jan 28, 2016
  2. Damon_girl

Damon_girl GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    After all those steps I was sure this was going to be a success story. Nice plot twist! :) And yes, definitely wait for a better release.

3. SterneSchreien

SterneSchreien Naughty One

Jan 4, 2016
    Canada
    Using SDFormatter is usually recommended to format SDs over the default windows utility.

But man all those detailed steps for this sad ending. :sad:

Last edited by SterneSchreien, Jan 5, 2016
  4. Dedede
    OP

Dedede Banned

Banned
    Oct 18, 2015
    -snip-

5. beefsloth

beefsloth Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    oconomowoc
    Man, that is awesome you have a hardmod atleast. I am still wary of doing it as I don't have one myself. I updated to 10.3 myself just recently following a guide to install some legit .cia's. I wonder if updating first would make any difference in the least, but I doubt it. Hmm.
    Please update us again as thoroughly as you did this time if you intend to try and downgrade again and hopefully succeed this time. It must be nice having a hardmod haha.

6. JAWS_XS

JAWS_XS Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2007
    United States
    I'm going to have to agree with beefsloth...just update all the way to 10.3. However, you did everything perfect! Glad to see teracopy was used.

there was another pastebin I read through that might have some different info. Like hitting "y" in Homebrew menu.

http://pastebin.com/ZfA8wtA2

7. G25900

G25900 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    The only things that I did different to you is you put sysupdater in /3ds/sysUpdater/ so in it's own folder, I just put the 3dsx and smdh straight in /3ds/ and not it's own folder, I also used menuhax. Worked fine first time, no retries and fully downgraded from the same 9.9E, got emuNand/CFW running fine and everything.

Either I got stupidly lucky, the extra folder can cause problems, or a mix of both. You pretty much took all other precautions you could and you have a hardmod so nothing lost at least.

8. Dedede
    OP

Dedede Banned

Banned
    Oct 18, 2015
    -snip-

9. G25900

G25900 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    I thought it required it's own folder as I'm sure something else I tried didn't show up before and all other homebrew goes in it's own folder too, but the tutorial said to just put the files in the 3ds folder which I thought wouldn't work but tried it anyway and it showed up in the menu.

I haven't seen any mention of the location at all affecting things but I have to wonder if maybe it is factor in at least some cases now as I followed all other precautions you did.

Last edited by G25900, Jan 7, 2016
  10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Since you have a hardmod, there's not much harm in trying again, it should be successful the second time, if it isn't then there's probably something else preventing the downgrade from being successful that isn't the fault of sysupdater.

11. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    I tried downgrading on 9.9 but it didn't work, I ended up on updating to 10.3 and then attempting the downgrade, it was succesfull. If you have a NAND backup try updating and then downgrading.

12. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    If it kept failing, I would try to update to 10.3 (now that it's still possible) and downgrade from there.
    Try to not use MenuHax, but other entry points, to avoid problems later with Menuhax when downgraded on N3DS.

13. Dedede
    OP

Dedede Banned

Banned
    Oct 18, 2015
    -snip-

DjoeN likes this.