Full of It!! Wii System Memory Full Already?!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by wii knee, Feb 6, 2010.

Feb 6, 2010
  1. wii knee
    OP

Member wii knee GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm trying to get my head around this...

When installing WiiWare wads I'm getting a 'system memory full' mssg. Now, I've previously moved most WiiWare channels over to my SD so I can't figure out why my NAND would be full, already.

I do have a bunch of save game files, and the Internet Channel, along with 5 WiiWare titles which themselves total 1020 blocks.

Does this sound reasonable?

yoiks!

2. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    Remove some more.

3. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Use sneek or triiforce baby [​IMG]

4. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    sounds about right

u can always use "CRAP" to make triiforce forwarder channels... so once u get triiforce up and running, u can launch the games the EXACT same way u do now (from the system menu) but instead it will take up a fraction of the space (or u can just use triiforce by itself, u don't need forwarder channels... but they kick ass!)

if u use cfg usb loader, u can also make forwarder ISO... basiscally does the same thing, except makes a forwarder "game" u can launch from the usb loader (even has cover art)

good luck 2 u

ps. nice knee [​IMG] lol

5. wii knee
    OP

Member wii knee GBAtemp Regular

United States
    man, choo guyz rock.
    I'll read up on triiforce first.

6. urherenow

Member urherenow GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Or you could just use the SD card menu already

some people talk about making the life of thier nand shorter because of writing all of the time but get real... the Wii is gonna be a doorstop long before you ever reach the theoretical write limit on your nand [​IMG]

The real disadvantage is that it takes a few seconds longer to load the games. If a few seconds is going to bother you... there's a pill for that [​IMG]

7. Daco

Banned Daco Banned

Belgium
    tell me how the wii memory can be full already without being a pirate and i wont laugh my ass off with you

8. urherenow

Member urherenow GBAtemp Addict

United States
    umm... there's only 512MB of flash there and n64 games themselves are pretty big. All of the free channels plus 12 n64 vc titles and your space is pretty much used up. Not to mention the dozens of SNES titles that a true Nintendo fan simply can't pass up. While I am convinced that most people here use games without buying them (big difference between that and pirating... if I'm not selling/distributing illegal copies, it's not pirating), including YOU, it certainly does not take a pirate to run out of space on your nand. That's exactly why Nintendo made the SD menu

kthks

9. carlomagno1978

Newcomer carlomagno1978 Member

Venezuela
    Touché [​IMG]

10. SanGor

Member SanGor Witchhunter

United States
    it is very easy to fill up the wii with legal stuff!

first of all 512MB? well not quite roughly 200mB are reserved for the system, doesn't sound so much anymore right?

WiiWare channels are 10-50MB while VC range from 5 to like 30mb?

if we now say we have 5 WiiWare and 5 VC games then we got over 200MB used leaving only under 100MB left and some savegames are huge!

or let's say you buy all the strong bad or monkey island episodes and boom your nand is full.

11. Daco

Banned Daco Banned

Belgium
    i have my wii for about 5-6 months now, i have a few good games (and therefor saves on my wii) , and like 15 VC+wiiware shit (bought! i dont pirate kthxbye) + a few homebrew channels (not forwarders kthxbye)

i still fail to see the nand getting full that quickly without pirating.

that, and op said "...nand be full, already" meaning he/she/it didn't have the wii very long and already being full. do tell me , without being a rich mofo , how the nand can get full that quickly without pirating

thats right, you can't.

yes the nand can get full easily and that is why the SD menu was made, but not THAT QUICK WITHOUT PIRATING.

EDIT @ post above : 200MB for sys menu alone?!
    hahahahahaha give me a break. my up to date wii nand only uses 40MB for everything that aren't titles or tickets. + maybe

12. SanGor

Member SanGor Witchhunter

United States
    it also reserves space for the "play from sd" stuff

13. Daco

Banned Daco Banned

Belgium
    and that would be found where?
    and afaik it only saves the ticket on the nand so it can decrypt the stuff on the SD [​IMG]

EDIT: also, i took a look. it looks like not many wiiware games are > n64 roms

14. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Honestly don´t talk bullshit you can easily fill your memory without being a "pirate" (just get ~10 40MB WiiWare or N64 games and your NAND will be almost full it´s simple math) only because you couldn´t fill the NAND it doesn´t mean others are pirates [​IMG].
    And by the way it´s true that if you play games from SD Card that you need (some) free space on the NAND depending on the game size of course because the games are just copied back to the NAND before started [​IMG].

15. Daco

Banned Daco Banned

Belgium
    most of my wiiware games were 30/35MB max.
    yes 10 wiiware games would fill it up
    but my ass that you'll install 10 wiiware games in like...2 days or something

i think you all fail to see the point im trying to make

EDIT: ow and 10 games that you would actually buy within what, a week?
    go calculate the money needed AND see if there actually are that many wiiware games you would want within your region

16. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Your arguments are pointless don´t forget that there are other games as WiiWare (as you already said N64 games are pretty big too same for NeoGeo) and actually i have more as 10 Wiiware games that I like okay (and there are probably others) or are you the "standart" user and only what you buy is good !? ;P.
    And why does it matter if i install games in 2 days or a week to fill the NAND if it´s full it´s full !?
    So it doesn´t change the fact that you can easily fill the NAND and that it have nothing to do with piracy if your NAND is full [​IMG]

17. Daco

Banned Daco Banned

Belgium
    have fun paying 100-150€ in 2 days to get the nand full
    and then the wii itself comes

350 - 400€

and then a few games (lets say 5)
    5*60 = 300

so thats 650 - 700€

are you going to pay that in 2 days?

see where im going with this?

unless OP was rich i highly doubt he/she/it got the nand full in a short amount of time without pirating [​IMG]

as i said, you can easily get the nand full, but not that fast without pirating

18. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    when i got my wii didnt take me long to fill the nand, was a few games i wanted at the time

19. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I got a launch wii, and it took until just before the advent of wad-installs, so roughly 8-9 months (right?), for me to fill my Wii.
    I bought 4 n64 titles, and 4 other titles, and the internet channel, and a bunch of savegames from my 10-11 retail games.

However, if I had had just one of the BIG SAVE FILE titles (at the time there was only about 2, now theres roughly 14 that exceed 100 blocks) than I probably would have hit ("full") sooner.

but actually, wii's are easy to find for ~160$, 3 cards would get you what I mentioned above (about 65$) + 1 BIG SAVE FILE GAME (~30$) = just over $250, I know a lot of avid gamers would spend that on a copy of Sin & Punishment alone, so definitely on a wii and several games.

edit: not to mention that this was before wiiware came out, and wiiware games are often slightly cheaper than n64 titles, but 90% of wiiware is bigger than most of the first few N64 titles to trickle out. (approx 40 mb vs 14-22mb)