Full DVD Playback on WiiU -(vWii, WiiMC, LG Drive)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by jlo138, Apr 1, 2018.

1. jlo138
    OP

jlo138 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    So I’ve followed this site for a while now and finally created an account because I wanted to show something and ask a question alongside it.

I found out that this External (portable) LG Blue-Ray Drive works to play DVD’s on an original Wii and even WiiU through WiiMC on both. The differences being on the Wii, this drive will load Wii Backups through uLoader. On vWii, you can watch DVD’s in the gamepad.
    My question is: Could it be possible to run WiiMC on the WiiU side and play Blue-Ray Discs this way?

I know it’s not the most practical thing but is it even possible?

My previous video shows it on the original Wii.

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Unless you mean enhanced Vwii (ie with gamepad controls), no, Wii software is not WiiU software

BD support (or lack of) wouldn't be affected either, it's just some generic USB device the game supplies their own driver for, as far as the console is concerned

It's technically possible to make a WiiU port/remake of WiiMC, but you know - "it's just a WiiU after all"!

3. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Realistically no one is working on media apps for the WiiU because many modern alternatives now exist for tv media playback rendering console media payback obsolete

Exit: also this doesn't count for anything but id like to point out the WiiU has a br drive

Last edited by cruplezone, Apr 2, 2018
  4. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    Uloader had some cool features like booting isos off a Usb dvd drive. To bad uloader eventually corrupts wbfs formatted hard drives with that stupid uloader entry it places on the wbfs drive.

If your interested and have a zip 250mb usb drive, the wii u will format it and will store games on a zip disk. It works because the Zip drive is a usb mass storage device. It is seen as a 247mb usb drive lol. I know because i have tried it and it works. Slow loading tho. I loaded nano assulet neo off it on wii u and it to a while but worked and was 100% playable.

Last edited by Captain_N, Apr 2, 2018
    Friendsxix likes this.
  5. jlo138
    OP

jlo138 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    Yeah I know the WiiU has a Blue-Ray drive but didn’t they lock it down so you couldn’t watch movies at all, even if the console got hacked?

Anyways I did mention it’s not practical but I still think it’s pretty neat to watch on the gamepad. Thanks for the replies.

6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I'm interested to see HOW they achieved this, because the Wii was just a licensing issue, the hardware was fully capable once WiiMC came along. (The Mplayer-based DVD players before WiiMC just blew)

7. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Checking discs for being original games in hardware, same as the Wii drives (D3v2, D4) which "can't read DVD-R" (no commercial movies either since they don't pass as Wii games, sorry) even though they still have the "3x speed" raw read commands!

PS2 did the same thing since the very first model, in fact its support for DVD movies is how ESR (chipless disc backup loader) works (add the data of smallest possible DVD-Video to a game before burning)

Back to the newest Wiis and all Us, it's probably possible to make a homebrew that plays DVD-Video data (or any other media files) from a partition after the end of a game's data, and to create such discs... but to accurately copy games in the first place, they would need to be pressed (BD-rom) meaning your de facto minimum price is 500 dollars for each 300-equal-discs minimum order :D
    (and you need to figure out first a way to make such creative disc images!)