Full 4k port of Timesplitters 2 found inside Homefront: The Revolution

timesplitters2.jpg

After five years, the mystery behind an arcade machine in Homefront: The Revolution has been solved. The arcade machine featured a demo of TimeSplitters 2, letting players access the first two levels--notably, this is the closest to a PC port of TimeSplitters 2 that's been officially released. Dataminers, however, were able to find files relating to the entire game in the code, but with no way to access them they were unsure if the entire game had been ported or not. Efforts continued over the years, but no major discoveries were made.

Then, last week, former Crytek developer Matt Phillips Tweeted the following in response to a thread asking game developers to post their favourite Easter eggs they've snuck into their games: "My proudest moment. Fully playable, native 4K port of TimeSplitters 2 hidden in this arcade machine in Homefront: The Revolution." He went on to explain that the unlock code has been lost, leaving even him with no way to access the game. He had given a friend of his a notebook with the code, who once tried to post it in a Discord server to let people know about this hidden port, but he was called a liar and promptly banned. He also let people know that there were no hints to the unlock code hidden in the game's code, so people shouldn't waste their time searching.

It seemed like that was the end of the story. Until, four days after this revelation, Spencer Perrault, a software engineer at Microsoft and presumably Philips' friend with the notebook, Tweeted out the code. It still took some time for the code to be found due to Twitter's algorithm burying the Tweet, but eventually it was discovered by a Discord community member named Sandwave. Meanwhile, another member named Fanoto was reverse engineering input checks on the PC version, and discovered codes for the arcade and challenge modes, as well as several that serve an unknown purpose. Spencer Perrault has also since Tweeted another code that apparently provides invincibility.

For those unaware of the connection between TimeSplitters 2 and Homefront: The Revolution, Dambuster Studios--the team behind Homefront--were formerly Crytek UK but were renamed after Crytek faced financial difficulties and sold the Homefront franchise to Deep Silver, who retained most of the original staff to continue work on the game. Before they were Crytek UK, however, the team was Free Radical Design, developers of the TimeSplitters franchise, meaning that they still held the rights after two name and publisher changes (and, for the record, Matt Philips notes that all the necessary paperwork was done to ensure everything was done above board).

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Said it before and I'll say it again, I bought this pile of crap purely just for TimeSplitters 2. Sure, you could just emulate it. But on PC, this version natively supports keyboard and mouse controls which felt awesome to play. Argh, just feeds my hype for TimeSplitters Rewind.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Try ebay and shops with second hand copies. Might come up in a Steam sale or a grey market seller.
Yeah I want a copy for PC so I can download a save and skip the part where I have to play Homefront. Not on GMG unfortunately, Humble does have it for $16 with the Choice discount. Guess I'll add it to my wishlist to see if it gets any cheaper during the next Steam sale.

Reactions: Kopimist

paulttt

Trophies
XP
Country
It is, yes. The unlock codes listed above even differentiate between Xbox and PS4.
Sweet, cheers for that.

Just purchased on ebay :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes, but AFAIK you have to play a certain portion of the game to unlock Timesplitters 2 in the extras menu. Unless you download a save for PC/a hacked console.
A sacrifice I'm willing to make.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I read somewhere that even online multiplayer works by hooking into Homefront's netcode. Doubt it'll be easy to find enough people for a full match at any given time, though.
Yeah you have to hack two arcade machines into one environment or something, and the netcode piggybacks HF’s.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm sleepy good night