Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
iZ4Xc7uzxvJUA.gif

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
.... yes. Microsoft is worst than the mafia. watch the gif.
No.
Microsoft is worse than the mafia.
U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A!

Microsoft is worse than the mafia, Sony, and EA.
No! CROSS THAT. I think it's EA, SONY, MICROSOFT ARE WORSE THAN THE MAFIA!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
...he said something that was inaccurate or false? His point is entirely valid.

Reception may be spotty and yet most of us have cellphones, electricity may go out but we still use it - it's the same deal with the Internet.

If the content on the console will heavily rely on using Online features and not being connected will render it practically useless "Always Online" makes sense. Some apects of games on the Durango may be controlled server-side and may require you to be Online to be fully operable, the Internet is wide-spread, easily accessible and there are no reasons not include such elements if they're beneficial for the End User and the gaming experience. Hell, we've seen that done even last generation - not being Online practically restricted you from accessing 3/4 of the content in Monster Hunter Tri - the Single Player offline campaign was practically a training session before the game proper. Even large chunks of the system menu may need it for the sake of adjusting content according to the user's preferences or updating tiles (as the system will no doubt have a similar menu to Windows 8's tile-based one).

To be perfectly honest, all my consoles have been "Always Online" for the past 6 years even though I was never forced to connect them to the Internet - I wanted to connect them because it allowed me to do more with them - being Online gives you access to so, so much more content than being Offline. The argument againts "Always Online" is the argument of "Pro Choice", except it doesn't make a lot of sense when you sit down and start wondering when was the last time you didn't use your Internet connection when you had the option to do so.

Now, all this is not to say that Single Player should be "Always Online" - it should, enforcing "Always Online" is a bad idea however it is, in my honest opinion, the future. Much like electricity, radio, television and cellphone networks before, Internet has become an integral part of our lives and we should accept the fact that having our devices connected to the web is better than not doing so.

When you buy a Smartphone, your first natural instinct is to connect it to a cellphone network - why? You don't have to do that, why don't you guys use Offline mode? I mean, you can, right? You'll still have access to your apps, the Smartphone will still be operable... it just... won't be much of a phone, will it?

If the console will have a strong focus on Online activities - on Muliplayer, on Social, on OnlineMultimedia then going Offline will give you access to a fraction of its functionality - the very basics, and that's provided the content in question doesn't require anything server-side.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: