FSD 3.0 Copy DVD Failing

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Rymel, Mar 12, 2013.

Mar 12, 2013

FSD 3.0 Copy DVD Failing by Rymel at 3:58 PM (4,416 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. Rymel
    OP

Newcomer Rymel Member

United States
    so i've kind of come to the end of my rope. the search terms i've been using are far too common and just return garbage on search engines. i'm on a Zephyr JTAG running Freestyle Dash 3.0. i've been trying to rip my games onto the console via the built-in Copy DVD function. it only works half the time. on many games i get 1% upwards of 96% complete before it stops and doesn't return any sort of error message. it doesn't matter if it's a new game or old (99 Nights), either. what gives? has anyone experienced this, and can help? the DVD drive firmware's flashed, and i suppose i could remove it to do it via PC, but i've grown to hate disassembling 360s :P

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    Sounds like your DVD drive is dying.

I assume it's an Hitachi, which are annoying when it comes to dying lasers.
    My advice: get a new DVD drive and flash that or adjust the laser POT with a few Ohms.

3. Rymel
    OP

Newcomer Rymel Member

United States
    it's been a while since i looked at it, i think it is a hitachi. i was really hoping it wasn't a PITA solution. guess it'll have to wait til after my cruise...that starts tomorrow. thanks!

edit: it does rip games though. it just doesn't rip over half of what i own. and repeated attempts yield exactly the same percentage before quitting claiming it's done

4. DinohScene

Antarctica
    You sure it's not your DVD's that are scratched?
    If so then you'll still need to adjust the POT a bit.

You can get a Liteon DVD drive and spoof the KV's OSIG with 360 flash dump tool.
    That way you don't have to spoof the drive, just flash it with LT 3.0 and flash your DVD key to it ;]

5. Rymel
    OP

Newcomer Rymel Member

United States
    i'm pulling games from sealed, dude. it's frustrating. i can't figure out the problem for the life of me, and FSD isn't courteous enough to give me any messages as to what went wrong.

i can't remember the drive offhand, but i believe it's a liteon. i had flashed it with LT3.0+ on my old phat before it crapped out, and swapped it into a JTAGable system after getting the JTAG done. i'd done the drive last year though, and kind of forgot exactly.

6. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Try getting ahold of another copy of one of the games, just to see if it still stops in the same place. Even sealed games sometimes can be defective if there's a bad pressing. Yeah, it would be really weird for you to have multiple sealed bad discs, but you never know.

7. Rymel
    OP

Newcomer Rymel Member

United States
    it doesn't even have a pattern. old games like 99 nights won't rip, and most newer games won't either. disc one of a few multi-disc games would rip, but not the others (FFXIII, Mass Effect, Dead Space). there's roughly 25-30 games in there that i've personally ripped using this drive, so i know it works. i think i'm gonna have to just disassemble the system and do all the rips from the pc. this is exceedingly annoying for literally no apparent reason. but if someone can help me with the problem before i do, that'd be amazing.

tbgtbg: i've beaten most of these games already though, there's no errors on them. i'm mostly archiving them onto a JTAGed system so i can build an xbox laptop. and make space for new games on the shelf.

8. DinohScene

Antarctica
    I still suspect your DVD drive just failing.

Swap it out for another one and try again ;]

9. Rymel
    OP

Newcomer Rymel Member

United States
    just tried 4 other games from sealed. Max Payne 3, SSX, Dragon's Dogma failed. Persona 4 fighter ripped fine. DinohScene guess i'll be ordering one soon as i get back from the caribbean :P

10. DinohScene

Antarctica
    Aye aye.
    Send Temp a card ;p

Enjoy your trip chap~

11. Rymel
    OP

Newcomer Rymel Member

United States
    i'll take a pic and find a way to post it B-)

12. DinohScene

Antarctica
    Do one in Temperpics ;]
    With you in it ofcourse ;p

Rymel likes this.
  13. sudeki300

Member sudeki300 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    have you tried to install the games through NXE and see if that stops installing. if it copies then just use NXE2GOD to convert the game to a god file. if you get any errors through NXE then you know it's the DVD drive / laser.............................sudeki300

14. DinohScene

Antarctica
    Probably won't do a lot tho.
    It's worth a shot indeed but if he's having trouble ripping content off off a disc then I doubt that the laser would hold any longer;]

15. sudeki300

Member sudeki300 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    i agree that the laser is probably on the way out, but i would try as many options as possible before opening the DVD drive. if it does fail in NXE then the next logical step would be cleaning the laser / pot tweak as dinoh said in the earlier post.......................sudeki300

16. Rymel
    OP

Newcomer Rymel Member

United States
    figured out the problem. i ran out of hard drive space and FSD does not tell you that. derp. so while i was failing at 96% and then later failing at 3%, it was because i was slowly finding discs that fit the space left...they really need to add in diagnostic messages.

17. DinohScene

Antarctica
    Don't you have the statusbar thingies on top??
    Clicking..... LS iirc sets them in place.

But this is good to know for a next time.
    I'm glad you resolved the problem ;]

18. Rymel
    OP

Newcomer Rymel Member

United States
    i...was kind of mad and getting frustrated and didn't look up top >_>;

it also doesn't always show the usb drive if you're extracting to an external. sometimes if you plug it in after it's booted up, or unplugged and plugged it back in, it won't display it

19. DinohScene

Antarctica
    I prefer to have everything internal.
    I don't know why people want external drives if you can upgrade the internal...but meh, not my business.

Anyways, click LS and keep your HDD plugged in ;]

20. Rymel
    OP

Newcomer Rymel Member

United States
    oh i do too. i'm just procrastinating disassembling the system AGAIN so i can solder in sata cables for a desktop hard drive :P

the external usage is so i can begin the long process of ripping my existing collection so i can sell off the stuff i don't REALLY care about