Hacking Question Frustrated by lack of good Atmosphere tutorials out there.

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Well you did something for it to boot into a black screen, by default the Emunand take a copy of your Sysnand and use that as NAND,
I mean if you had SX OS emunand you can do what The Real Jdbye said. I have no experience with using Kefir so can't help you with that.

I tried converting SXOS emunand with Hekate but it corrupted it (good thing I backed up my saves), get this error - https://gbatemp.net/threads/issues-getting-atmosphere-to-run.587676/#post-9456489

So I have to start from scratch, which is what I am trying to do. I do not want to use Kefir, its the only thing out of everything Ive tried that works though. I want to just run plain Atmosphere.

I followed the steps for setting it up. From scratch. Formatting the SD Card and everything. But after the logo it leads to black screen.

I dont need help with Kefir, I need help with getting standard ole atmosphere to work. I have nothing to preserve. This is a clean slate. My Sysnand works, my Emunand is clearly find too if Kefir can boot into it. Its somehting with the atmosphere folder which I pulled from github that the issue is. Some setting somewhere, or file.

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Ok, well, after 2 days of tinkering, found the problem. Its a bug in Vanilla atmosphere. Will submit a bug report to the repo. May or may not be fixed as the issue is that emuNAND version is too old. Workaround is to load up Atmosphere with Kefir (search for Kefir github, its all russian but when you run it there is an English option), update via Daybreak, then load up vanilla Atmosphere.

Those of you that assumed it was user error are real buttheads. Glad I found the problem though and anyone that stumbles upon this wont have to tinker for 2 days.

EDIT: Looks like the bug was already reported. https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/issues/1460 and SciresM says its going to be fixed in next release of Atmosphere.

Last edited by Chrushev,

antiNT

:)
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Those of you that assumed it was user error are real buttheads. Glad I found the problem though and anyone that stumbles upon this wont have to tinker for 2 days.

EDIT: Looks like the bug was already reported. https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/issues/1460 and SciresM says its going to be fixed in next release of Atmosphere.

The people that were being dicks because they assumed you were doing something wrong and because switch hacking supposedly wasn't for you are absolute fools. It was an atmosphere bug...

Reactions: CanIHazWarez

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, well, after 2 days of tinkering, found the problem. Its a bug in Vanilla atmosphere. Will submit a bug report to the repo. May or may not be fixed as the issue is that emuNAND version is too old. Workaround is to load up Atmosphere with Kefir (search for Kefir github, its all russian but when you run it there is an English option), update via Daybreak, then load up vanilla Atmosphere.

The thing is not every version of Atmosphere work well with lower firmware, back in 2019 at that time the latest available build didn't work with firmware 1.0.0 that you have to use older build. Good thing that you asks on Atmosphere github. Build that cause specific problems on lower firmware are rare, not everyone has a low firmware to replicate the situation. You getting a black screen doesn't mean the instructions on tutorial were wrong.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The thing is not every version of Atmosphere work well with lower firmware, back in 2019 at that time the latest available build didn't work with firmware 1.0.0 that you have to use older build. Good thing that you asks on Atmosphere github. Build that cause specific problems on lower firmware are rare, not everyone has a low firmware to replicate the situation. You getting a black screen doesn't mean the instructions on tutorial were wrong.

I guess issues like these are easy to miss because I reckon consoles with OFW that low that are used only now to create Emunand off are extremely rare nowadays.
Well, okay, it seems like OP was right about it not being his fault, but it certainly also wasn't the fault of the tutorials, because frankly they don't really need to cover bugs.

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I guess issues like these are easy to miss because I reckon consoles with OFW that low that are used only now to create Emunand off are extremely rare nowadays.
Well, okay, it seems like OP was right about it not being his fault, but it certainly also wasn't the fault of the tutorials, because frankly they don't really need to cover bugs.

I appreciate your reply. I think the real issue here is as someone that is completely new to Atmosphere, with tutorials being really brief and skipping steps (at least appearing to skip steps), I wasnt sure if I was doing something wrong or if tutorials were at fault. But after repeating the process many times, following steps from different guides, which aligned with each other, made me think the steps were just wrong. I work with software and we have to have really good documentation for all of our software because people using it may be clueless. So I am used to seeing a format where it says "Do A, you should see B". If you dont see B then you know there is an issue. With most tutorials out there, you go through the whole thing and if it doesnt work you have no clue if you did something wrong or if steps were somehow messed up.

Just from personal observation, pre-switch, I think 3DS tutorials were a lot more "Do A and you will see B" style. Which made it really easy to:

1) See if things are going right and focus on the one step where they are failing
2) See right away if tutorial is outdated because what its telling you is obviously not happening.

The tutorial you linked earlier is very good. I did a lot of googling, didnt find it. I guess its an issue of really poorly written ones flooding the airwaves.

Last edited by Chrushev,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
See, now that's the tone on which level I'd like to communicate here. Well, this tutorial is for some reason very hard to find when googling. I didn't find it myself, I only know on which discord to go because I remember seeing the link pinned there. I used it myself to go from SX Emunand to Atmosphere EmuMMC without problems.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

New release has come out, bug is fixed.

Reactions: Chrushev

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate your reply. I think the real issue here is as someone that is completely new to Atmosphere, with tutorials being really brief and skipping steps (at least appearing to skip steps), I wasnt sure if I was doing something wrong or if tutorials were at fault. But after repeating the process many times, following steps from different guides, which aligned with each other, made me think the steps were just wrong. I work with software and we have to have really good documentation for all of our software because people using it may be clueless. So I am used to seeing a format where it says "Do A, you should see B". If you dont see B then you know there is an issue. With most tutorials out there, you go through the whole thing and if it doesnt work you have no clue if you did something wrong or if steps were somehow messed up.

Just from personal observation, pre-switch, I think 3DS tutorials were a lot more "Do A and you will see B" style. Which made it really easy to:

1) See if things are going right and focus on the one step where they are failing
2) See right away if tutorial is outdated because what its telling you is obviously not happening.

The tutorial you linked earlier is very good. I did a lot of googling, didnt find it. I guess its an issue of really poorly written ones flooding the airwaves.
You cannot simply compare one scene to another. By the time the definitive 3DS guide was released, the 3DS scene was almost a decade old. The Switch scene has existed for far less longer even though the release of Fusee Gelee gave it a headstart compared other devices. It has been only 4 years since Nintendo released the Switch after all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol