Front panel come off Gamecube - please help me get it back on!

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by SG, Apr 7, 2008.

1. SG
    OP

SG GBAtemp Fan

Mar 29, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    Goddamit!

I carefully stepped over the controller wire and without noticing, tripped on the 2nd one. I pulled the front panel of my GC off, as it was sat loose in the Cube as I am awaiting mini DVDs so am using large ones with the top off ATM.

So, I thought I needed to solder it but the connection points are tiny. I then noticed that it has glue on it, and I stuck it down but the metal connector bits kind of bend away a bit. I pressed it down and it doesn't connect properly in all positions, especially when the panel is put back in the Cube. Has this happened to anyone before? How do I fix it? I stuck it down with electrical tape and pressed really hard, and I have partial connectivity. The 1st pad registers but not the 2nd one and the light is dimmer than usual. If I change the angle of the panel by taking it out then sometimes it gets a perfect connection but I need to fix it so it's like it was.

Can anyone help me here?!

2. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    if u don't fix it you can buy a replacment cube for next to nothing...

3. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Not having much luck with this cube are you?. Any way are you talking about the white flat cable that's in the this picture http://wiki.nintendo-scene.com/Image:Gamec...ort_screws.jpg?. That's come away from the board slightly?. If you are then the only way to fix it is to use solder , the glue is just on the cable to give it some extra support. It's either straighten the connectors back out , line em up and solder or new front panel.

4. SG
    OP

SG GBAtemp Fan

Mar 29, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    Yeah it's that cable.

Looks like I'll have to invest in a smaller tipped soldering iron then.

Thanks guys.

5. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
  6. SG
    OP

SG GBAtemp Fan

Mar 29, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    Thanks. I hope I can do it myself - I'm kicking myself over such a moronic mistake.