From a DSI owners point of view, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by dgwillia, Apr 5, 2009.

1. dgwillia
    OP

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    I mean.....for 170 bucks, i just cant find the worth in it. Especially for flash cart owners, we can already do most of the stuff the DSi can do (Albeit the DSi shop, and Photo's), and chances are they are going to make updates to block Flash Carts.

2. xDlmaoxD

Member xDlmaoxD GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well I just got mines a few hours ago and its well worth it if you have the money.
    If you depend on your parents then its will be more worth it cause it was free [​IMG]

I like it very much now time to buy a AceKard 2i [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. CrimsoniteX

Member CrimsoniteX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I honestly can't decide yet. I bought mine last night and although the new features are impressive, I found myself bored with the limited dsiware selection. That being said, games in the future are going to be amazing. The DSi boasts a processor clocked twice as fast, and about four times the ram as the DS lite.

So in short, is it worth getting it now? Probably not. Is it an inevitable upgrade for the future? For a true gamer, yes.

4. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    i think that its worth it too. its like the best portable console...and i should no cuz im posting this message from my dsi on dsi browser and its a bullet...i think u should get it and get ace kard 2i...best one....the camra and the dsi sound are awsome...and if u have a internet connection then u can use shp channel and then get ds browser for free....ur welcome...

5. lord0fshred

Member lord0fshred GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i bought it. and i love it so far. i still have my old DSlite and flashcarts if i want to use it. i say get it, but that's just my opinion.

6. PuyoDead

Member PuyoDead Hey! Hey! Oh!

United States
    Exactly this. At the moment, it hasn't shown it's true potential, so it's really only worth it right now if you have the money and don't mind spending it. The hardware changes are quite worth it, but you really need to play with it to see. As for software (DSi Store, DSi only games, etc.) we'll just have to wait and see. But eventually, it will be a must upgrade.

7. Miles

Member Miles GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you already have a DS, no it's not worth it.

8. dgwillia
    OP

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    I guess ill wait a month or 2 then, im kinda low on funds right now (I could get one if i asked my dad, but i probally wouldnt get an DSi flash cart for atleast 3 weeks after that).

9. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    imo the DSI is so worth it. It feels comfortable in my hands and the sleeker appearance of it makes it that much better.

10. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    The feel of the DSi seems very durable. Nintendo continues to refine the look of the DS, this version looks even less like a toy than the previous edition, which was heads and tails above the release model. I'm glad they took note of the Matte finish, glossy isn't the way to go with something that is going to be pawed all day. It makes me sad I have to wait till the beginning of mail to receive my AK.

And yes, I've owned:
    Red DS Phat, 2 black NDSL (one was stolen), 1 blue DSi.

11. blazezaku

Newcomer blazezaku Newbie

Hong Kong
    i dont like the buttons on the dsi..

12. Dragonmasta666

Newcomer Dragonmasta666 Member

United States
    Ya so its more powerful, unfortunately its the same thing as the DSphat AND DSlite ... therefore since a majority of the DS community still plays on the 2 previous generation DSs game devs are not goign to be making many games tailored soley to the DSi ... its just not smart business wise to cut a majority of your market out. You wont be seeing many exclusive DSi titles that are worth buying because big companies are going to keep them compatible with the two orignal DS styles.

13. sadak5

Member sadak5 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    I liked the new style of the DSi in my hands. I just bought it yesterday and I was lucky enough to wet a EZ Flash Vi too. Now, with the flashcart compatible and my DSL with a SCDS1 I feel I can conquer the World !!!! nerf

14. Sychophantom

Member Sychophantom I'm a plant.

United States
    I have all three versions. DS, DS Lite, and now DSi.

The DSi is interesting. Time will tell if flashcarts will even be worth it, or if Custom Firmware will overtake it.

15. mewcuss

Member mewcuss GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I swapped my DSL, two games and £50 for a DSi. It's the only reason that I got one so soon.
    But, I gotta say I'm impressed with it. It feels sturdier to hold than the DSL and a lot heavier. The buttons (A,B,X,Y) and the D-pad are lower than the DSL's and feel more robust and less 'clicky' (I hated the D-pad on the DSL).
    Being able to surf the web without a slot 2 card is sweet as well as being able to download from the wares shop.
    The cameras are naff and a pink! light comes on when the outer camera is used.

I still have my DSBrick just incase an update locks my DSi, but, I'm impressed with the DSi so far and I can't wait to see what can be done with it especially from the homebrew side of things.

16. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    I got mine on the release date, and paid for with my own money, and I must say it is worth it. It feels better, looks nice, and there's a lot of improvements and fun new features. I prefer the DSi over the DS lite, even though I don't have a flash card for it. I actually bought a DS game for the first time just for the DSi. Bought WEWY so I have something to play since I spent all my money, and I won't get more until Saturday from working.

17. ShamusHand

Newcomer ShamusHand Member

United States
    It just feels so thin and sleek in your hand... And you don't feel nervous to hold it (well, I did at first) because it's the perfect balance between rough and sophisticated. No more fingermarks, or slipping around your hand from sweat. And the bigger screens... Oh, it's perfection.

Look at it like this: What do you think of your friends who still have only a DS Phat? The Lite didn't add anything but looks and a smaller GBA slot, and people upgraded in a heartbeat. The DSi will overtake the DSL, so it's worth it.

18. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

i have all the ds's and the dsi is by far the best to me

19. TR88

Newcomer TR88 Member

United States
    I myself am gonna wait it out for a while till the DSi isn't so new and homebrew grows with it, I believe their will be plenty in store with this gadget and its only due time before it's unlocked in our capabilities.
    I can just say for now in till I do know that my thoughts are true, it isn't worth the update unless you just got the extra money to waste.