From 9.2 (or any lower firmware) to CFW 4.5, without Gateway

Preparation

Hardware Requirements:
  • A Windows PC
  • A 3DS on 9.2 or lower
  • A SD Card reader or some other adapter to allow you to copy files from your PC to the SD
  • A DS flashcard that works on 4.5 (R4i, etc),
  • A SD Card (preferably 16 GB to hold games, but even 4 GB should work)
Software Download Links:

Part 1 - Downgrading

1. Copy the Gateway Launcher.dat and Gateway.dg file to your SD Card.
  2. Turn off wifi and open the 3DS Browser. Go into the settings and delete cookies/cache.
  3. Optionally, reboot your 3DS.
  4. Navigate to the browser with wifi on this time, and go to go.gateway-3ds.com.
  5. The exploit will now load. Go over the options using the D-Pad and backup your NAND.
  6. After the NAND backup is done, power off the 3DS by holding down the power button. Put the SD Card into your computer, and copy the NAND.bin somewhere safe. This is your fail-safe, so don’t lose it!
  7. Put the SD card back into the console, with the NAND.bin still on it.
  8. Go run the downgrade process (it’s the last one in the menu). Wait for it to finish. Once it’s done, reboot your system. Put the SD card into the computer and ensure Launcher.dat is still on it. Do not delete NAND.bin just yet.

Part 2 - Installing CFW

1. Now, copy the GW Installer DS file to your DS flashcard. Pop it into the console and run that file from your flashcard. When it’s done, press home and go into System Settings. Go into other settings —> profile and tap DS Profile. The Gateway menu will load once again. This time, run the format emuNand process. When it’s done, shutdown your 3DS.
  2. Pop the SD Card back into your PC. Run the emuNand tool you downloaded earlier and press “Extract emuNand”. Save the file as emuNand.bin somewhere.
  3. Now, drag the emuNand.bin onto the bat file that was downloaded. After a while, a resulting REDNAND.bin will appear.
  4. In the emuNand tool, press “Inject NAND into emuNAND”. Select the REDNAND.bin file, and just ignore the warnings about not finding NAND.bin.
  5. After it’s done, delete everything on the SD card. It should only be a LAUNCHER.DAT file.
  6. Now, copy everything from the SD Card folder in Palantine CFW onto the SD card. Delete the launcher.dat, and rename the launcher_gw.dat to launcher.dat
  7. Insert the SD card into the console and boot up. It will create software management information. Take the SD card out again and open it on your computer.
  8. Now, in your SD card, there should be a Nintendo 3DS folder. Open it, and open the folder inside that. There should be another, so open that too. You should see a exdata folder.
  9. Make a new folder (not inside the exdata folder, but in the same directory as it) called “dbs”. Go into the folder and make a blank text file, named “title.db” or “import.db”. Doesn’t matter which.
  10. Insert the SD back into the system and go into Settings —> Data Management —> Software. It’ll ask to reset your software management information, so allow it to do so.
  11. Now, go into Other —> Profile. Hold down the L button, and tap DS Profile. If all goes well, the bottom screen will flash white and the CFW will load. If not, simply reboot the system by holding down power and trying again. Make sure to hold L while you do it.
  12. Now, once you’ve gotten into CFW, you’ll need your 3DS’ IP Address. You can use the tool you downloaded earlier (the network scanner) to find the devices from Nintendo. Note the IP (usually looks like 192.168.1.1xx)
  13. Edit the run.bat file in the Palantine CIA folder. Replace the DevMenu_2x.cia part with the name of your CIA, and the IPTOMODIFY with your IP.

Code:
installcia IPTOMODIFY 1 DevMenu_2x.cia

Code:
installcia 192.168.1.155 1 DevMenu_2x.cia

22. Now execute run.bat by double clicking on it. It should return result-code of 0.

• If you get a failed to connect, make sure the IP is correct and the 3DS is connected to the Internet.
  • If there’s another return code, try steps 8 and onward again.

23. Once you’ve succeeded, press Power —> Home and unwrap your new gift. You can now enter the CFW without holding L using the regular way.

Installing CIAs

1. Find a CIA to install. Google is your friend.
  2. Copy the CIA to your SD Card.
  3. Use the standard method to get into the CFW. Open the DevMenu and import away.

sumark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
there should be a method before that using the Hex Workshop without the step creating the title.db..
i tried it at least 10 times.
it goes well first,and after sending the cia through the run.bat,i roboot my console,there's no gift to open. just as the origin system.
i google it,and find many guys just like me,they say the reason is the cfw is still unstable.
so,i just want to kown,this version is better than that i used?

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there should be a method before that using the Hex Workshop without the step creating the title.db..
i tried it at least 10 times.
it goes well first,and after sending the cia through the run.bat,i roboot my console,there's no gift to open. just as the origin system.
i google it,and find many guys just like me,they say the reason is the cfw is still unstable.
so,i just want to kown,this version is better than that i used?

I've used this method on 2 3DS's today without even touching a hex editor. Make sure the CIA is being sent "correctly" with a return code of 0.

Canadacdn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, well. Now we all know why Gateway took so long to release their latest exploit, likely knowing that it could be used without the card. They let the hype train get as large as possible and racked up many sales as they could before Supercard forced their hands. Well played.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i cant get the run.bat to work, man this is frustrating. i knew this would be my downfall too...

when i just double click it, i get "The application was unable to start correctl (0x0000007b). Clock OK to close the application"

If i right click and run as admin, it closes so fast, i cannot tell what happens.

all firewalls off, win8 firewall off and router settings firewall is off as well.

I probably should mention the error is from ctrclient.exe

Chaldron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I did part 1 already.
I'll do part 2 later tomorrow.

You don't need gateway card anymore right? You can just get the .3ds and convert to .cia and import and play away? Or is there another reason (prob important) to get gateway card?

Dev Menu can only play firmware spoofed CIAs, with save encryption before 7.x So no Smash, no Pokemon, no newer games. It's basically a poor man's piracy - you can only load a certain amount of games, and you will lose all your eShop stuff.

Gateway allows 9.4 emuNand, so you can play all games and use the eShop. If you can wait, I'd hold off on Gateway. There's the Supercard team likely coming soon along with (I'm hoping) advances in CFW, hopefully up to 9.4.

Chaldron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i cant get the run.bat to work, man this is frustrating. i knew this would be my downfall too...

when i just double click it, i get "The application was unable to start correctl (0x0000007b). Clock OK to close the application"

If i right click and run as admin, it closes so fast, i cannot tell what happens.

all firewalls off, win8 firewall off and router settings firewall is off as well.

Can you try another computer? I'm using Windows 8 and it worked just fine, without any admin rights.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you try another computer? I'm using Windows 8 and it worked just fine, without any admin rights.

Im trying on Win7 laptop but its PAINFULLY slow lol.

are there any special drivers or software that ctrclient needs?

it worked on the Win7 laptop, very odd but AWWW YISSS!!!

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dev Menu can only play firmware spoofed CIAs, with save encryption before 7.x So no Smash, no Pokemon, no newer games. It's basically a poor man's piracy - you can only load a certain amount of games, and you will lose all your eShop stuff.

ok that's what i was gonna write. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"