XP
Country
Pommes-1.jpg

Captin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Once again the Americans take something and rename it. The original name for the thin skinny little ones is "Pomme Frites" which actually means "French Potatoes" and not French Fries.

The British like something that is chunkier and more manly. The name actually suggests what the product is, chips of potato.

QUOTE said:
French fries (North American English, sometimes not capitalized[1]), chips (British English),[2] fries,[3] or french-fried potatoes (formal) are thin strips of potato that have been deep-fried. They are popular in many countries and go by many names in various languages. A distinction is sometimes made between fries and chips. North Americans often refer to any elongated pieces of fried potatoes as fries, while in other parts of the world, long slices of potatoes are sometimes called fries to contrast them with the thickly cut strips, which are often referred to as chips.[4] French fries are known as frites or pommes frites in many parts of Europe, and have names that mean "french potatoes" in others (Icelandic Franskar kartöflur, Finnish Ranskalaiset perunat).

From Wikipedia

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
fridgos said:
Fish and CHIPS.
I go to McDonalds and I get some FRIES.

Thats how I would say it.

^^^ What he/she/it said

Sums up perfectly the definition of Chips/fries

Fries - Thin strandy looking potato chips

Chips - Thicker than Fries

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Captin said:
Once again the Americans take something and rename it. The original name for the thin skinny little ones is "Pomme Frites" which actually means "French Potatoes" and not French Fries.

The British like something that is chunkier and more manly. The name actually suggests what the product is, chips of potato.

Pomme (de terre) = Potato
Frites = Fried

Where on Earth do you actually get "French potatoes" from "Pomme frites"?

I call the long, bulky pieces of fried potato that are served in McDonald's frieds, while the roundish, thin potatoes that come in bags, like Lays or Pringles, are chips. Or crisps if I'm in an UK-English context
tongue.gif

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Those are fries.
Chips doesn't apply to that picture.

If I go to McDonalds I don't say "I want a Big Mac and some chips". Their response would be we don't have any chips here. It's fries. At least that what more than 90% of the US calls them.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Chips and fries are different things. As others have said, chips are much thicker than fries.

QUOTE said:
If I go to McDonalds I don't say "I want a Big Mac and some chips". Their response would be we don't have any chips here. It's fries. At least that what more than 90% of the US calls them.

Right, but not because that's what 90% of the US calls fried bits of potato, but because McDonalds only sell thin fries.

But seriously, who gives a shit? Dumb Americunt vs Eurotrash thread.

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Captin said:

QUOTE said:
French fries (North American English, sometimes not capitalized[1]), chips (British English),[2] fries,[3] or french-fried potatoes (formal) are thin strips of potato that have been deep-fried. They are popular in many countries and go by many names in various languages. A distinction is sometimes made between fries and chips. North Americans often refer to any elongated pieces of fried potatoes as fries, while in other parts of the world, long slices of potatoes are sometimes called fries to contrast them with the thickly cut strips, which are often referred to as chips.[4] French fries are known as frites or pommes frites in many parts of Europe, and have names that mean "french potatoes" in others (Icelandic Franskar kartöflur, Finnish Ranskalaiset perunat).

From Wikipedia
1. I find it hilarious you the way you are saying "Americans take something and rename it" the transition from French Fried Potatoes to French Fries is so mininscule compared to "chips"
2. It doesn't matter if what you call chips are bigger than the average French Fry, it doesn't change the fact that it still is a French Fry. If anything "chips" would be considered as a type of french fry like curly fries would be.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on where you live. I live in the USA, so I call them fries. The thick ones are called potato wedges.

Chips come in a bag and are generally made by somebody like Lay's or DanDee.

mewcuss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IMO:
Chips - Short to long cuboid shaped pieces of potato fried until the inside flesh is soft and the outside is golden brown. A thicker cut would become a steak chip.
Fries - Long, thin (like flag poles) pieces of potato (or paper mache) fried until the inners evaporate and the outside of the fry is hard and crunchy.

In the US this is a fry up:
FrenchFries.JPG

In the UK this is a fry up:
2462722349_ee2e4dac70.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: