kenio8185

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
My friend's wii had the homebrew channel on it and his little brother updated the wii, the wii bricked. He asked me if I could figure out a way to fix it, can any of you help me out?
All I know right now is that the bannerbomb hack was used.
So ya, any info would be great.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How was the Wii updated? If it was updated officially to 4.2, that may be the reasoning because apparently Nintendo's boot2 update code isn't as stable as it should be.

If that is the case, the only thing you can do is either send it to Nintendo or try to build a nand programmer to fix it yourself (something I don't know much about as I never looked into it much).

kenio8185

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
s3phir0th115 said:
How was the Wii updated? If it was updated officially to 4.2, that may be the reasoning because apparently Nintendo's boot2 update code isn't as stable as it should be.

If that is the case, the only thing you can do is either send it to Nintendo or try to build a nand programmer to fix it yourself (something I don't know much about as I never looked into it much).
How much will nintendo cost to fix it? Is it illegal to have a modded wii in canada?
What is a nand programmer? and has anyone made one that I can use?

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe its $85 to fix it if its out of warranty.

Bushing might be interested in your wii though check out the latest article on hackmii.com for more info.

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
icpmattj said:

Bushing might be interested in your wii though check out the latest article on hackmii.com for more info.

Nintendo is officially fixing Wii's with this issue for free even outside of warranty last I checked. Just send it in and its a free fix.

kenio8185

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
illinialex24 said:
icpmattj said:

Nintendo is officially fixing Wii's with this issue for free even outside of warranty last I checked. Just send it in and its a free fix.

Ya, but if they notice that it's been modded, won't they charge? I'm pretty sure my friend will also want to know if they will send the cops or something if they find out it's modded. He lives in Canada.

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The shouldn't find out unless they explicitly check for the title ID HAXX or JODI.

If they do, you might be in trouble, but then its just 85 bucks for a fix, instead of the normal 200/250 for a new Wii. And did Canada pass a law making it illegal to have Homebrew on your Wii, I heard that was in the talks...

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Also, chances are it's bricked hard enough for them to not even be able to tell regardless unless it was modded with an actual chip or something.

kenio8185

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
illinialex24 said:
The shouldn't find out unless they explicitly check for the title ID HAXX or JODI.

If they do, you might be in trouble, but then its just 85 bucks for a fix, instead of the normal 200/250 for a new Wii. And did Canada pass a law making it illegal to have Homebrew on your Wii, I heard that was in the talks...
So you're saying that the worst thing that will happen is that they will charge for a fix?

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
kenio8185 said:
illinialex24 said:

So you're saying that the worst thing that will happen is that they will charge for a fix?

In all likelihood yes. The worst possible thing is he could get an extra charge due to the law likely, but honestly, like a 1/1000000000 (add in more 0's if you want) chance is fairly safe in my mind. So he should be fine.

kenio8185

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DeadlyFoez said:
Ok, this is a guarenteed way to get nintendo to fix this and not find homebrew or anything on you wii.

Things needed:
Tri-wing screwdriver
9 volt battery
a couple of wires
Wii

Open the wii using any of the disasembly guides on the net. Locate the NAND. Take the 2 wires and attatch then to the 2 terminals on the battery. Now take the other end of the wires and start rubbing along the legs of the NAND chip. When you hear a "pop" or start smelling smoke then you start reassembling the wii. Tell nintendo that you did the 4.2 update and your wii started smoking and hasn't worked since.
lol, ok, I already have a few tri-wing screwdrivers. I'm sure a few wires (hopefully copper will do) and a 9-volt battery will be fairly easy to find.
So just so i'm sure i know what your thinking, you want me to damage my friend's already bricked wii so completely and tell him to lie to nintendo so that they pretty much just send him a new or refurbished wii?

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kenio8185 said:
DeadlyFoez said:
Ok, this is a guarenteed way to get nintendo to fix this and not find homebrew or anything on you wii.

Things needed:
Tri-wing screwdriver
9 volt battery
a couple of wires
Wii

Open the wii using any of the disasembly guides on the net. Locate the NAND. Take the 2 wires and attatch then to the 2 terminals on the battery. Now take the other end of the wires and start rubbing along the legs of the NAND chip. When you hear a "pop" or start smelling smoke then you start reassembling the wii. Tell nintendo that you did the 4.2 update and your wii started smoking and hasn't worked since.
lol, ok, I already have a few tri-wing screwdrivers. I'm sure a few wires (hopefully copper will do) and a 9-volt battery will be fairly easy to find.
So just so i'm sure i know what your thinking, you want me to damage my friend's already bricked wii so completely and tell him to lie to nintendo so that they pretty much just send him a new or refurbished wii?

Seems fair to me. They lied to people about the latest update's brick stats, so they can be lied to right back.

kenio8185

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
wyndcrosser said:
please take pictures of the smoking nand and wii itself. Pure awesomeness.

Wynd
I don't know much about opening a wii, so can someone link me to something that gives detail about it. I'll do all of this with my friend (mostly because he probably has the wires and the 9 volt battery, I have the screw drivers) so I can try to either take pics or video tape it. It might make things easier for someone else. I'm hoping I won't get lazy and either put it off till whenever or just not tape/take pics of it.

PS. Do you know if they are more likely to send a new one or a refurbished one?
Oh, and I just thought of something, what happens if they just replace the nand chip?

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, if you don't know what your doing. I'd just say you bought it used at gamestop, and it's not working and you lost your receipt.

Even if they force u to pay 85$ or whatever it's cheaper than 200$ for a new one.

Wynd

kenio8185

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
wyndcrosser said:
Honestly, if you don't know what your doing. I'd just say you bought it used at gamestop, and it's not working and you lost your receipt.

Even if they force u to pay 85$ or whatever it's cheaper than 200$ for a new one.

Wynd
My friend already got another wii from his little brothers birthday (luckily for them, in the same week the wii broke, my friend's little brother went to their aunt and uncles and the aunt and uncle didn't know they had a wii so they bought them one as a bday gift. Great timing right?). Anyways, no one in his family cares about the broken wii, so I doubt that they're gonna dish out $85 to repair it. So I think messing with the inside of it would be both, more fun, and cheaper.

kenio8185

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Soplox said:
what happen to the wii now to say that is bricked? explain
It's pretty much just sitting somewhere doing nothing. So I'll ask my friend of what he thinks of this method and see if we can open it up and fry it.
Just a question (i think i asked earlier but didn't see an answer). What will happen if they replace the nand chip? Could they see that the wii was modded? or is it that when I fry it, it fries too much of the wii to be repaired?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kenio8185 said:
Soplox said:
what happen to the wii now to say that is bricked? explain
It's pretty much just sitting somewhere doing nothing. So I'll ask my friend of what he thinks of this method and see if we can open it up and fry it.
Just a question (i think i asked earlier but didn't see an answer). What will happen if they replace the nand chip? Could they see that the wii was modded? or is it that when I fry it, it fries too much of the wii to be repaired?

Anything you could have changed at all would be on that NAND chip. Replacing it with a new one wouldn't have anything you did on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: