OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So here's what information I've gathered from her thus far:

She bought a presumable "R4 Revolution" from here, about some time before Christmas '08.

The MicroSD card has retained all it's data, so it works, pretty much.

Her DS doesn't boot into YSmenu with the cartridge in, and in fact the DS doesn't event detect the R4 cartridge.

Does anyone know what is wrong and what can be done about it?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Try

1) Cleaning the R4's contacts with some alcohol or lighter fluid and a cotton bud
2) Putting a bit of paper between the cart and the ds so make it fit more snugly and tocuh the contacts better
or
3) Inserting and removing both the R4 and an original game cart into the DS slot a few times each.

If none of those work, I'm out of ideas.

lsp_kill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like the DS doesn't get in contact with the R4.
I had the problem with my R4, that it froze about 1 time every 2 hours and when I restarted my DS it didn't recognize the R4 until I putted it out and in.
A friend bought a new DS with a new R4 and had the same problem like you now.
The solution for both problems was the following:

I opened the R4 with a very small screwdriver (the ones you normally use for clocks), you have to be very careful when doing that, because there are ~5 pins which can break off, but it isn't a big deal if that happens only to 1 or 2 of them (and don't forget to put out your sd-card first^^).
After that I putted out the R4-chip (looks like this),
then I cutted out a very small oblong of a pvc-tape (I don't like using paper in electronical things) and stuck it inside the R4 at the place where is normally placed the backside of the contacts of the R4-chip.
Now you can put it all together and screw it together.
You won't see a difference, but the contacts are lifted about 0.15mm (depends on the pvc-tape you used).

This little difference was enough for my R4 and the one of my friend, my games never froze again since I did that and his DS recognizes his R4 now.

Neku_Sakuraba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found out that some r4's are only compatible with some ds's so if it dosen't work send it to them and get a different one thats what happened to me!

lsp_kill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neku_Sakuraba said:
I found out that some r4's are only compatible with some ds's
And normally the reason for that is that the R4 doesn't get in contact with the DS (not every DS is 100% equal to others).
In 3 cases (one more since I posted the description^^) the method which I described helped.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It came from someone's porch I have the receipt