Not open for further replies.

thep3nc1lca5e

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
mirandacosgrove.com
XP
Country
First of all this is useless as long as you keep it closed source. As at that point it's literally just a worse version of an already existing app. Really there is only multiple ways this could have been useful. Luckily for you you failed at all of them!

The first one is easiest, it being open source would help other devs interface with the FRD:u/n/a service. However because this thing is closed source, it fails at this (BADLY!)

The second is as an actual improvement to the original Friends App. Of course it fails at this. Not only is it less pleasant to look at. At this point it not only doesn't add anything new, it doesn't even do all the things the original did. Meaning there is literally NO reason for anyone to use this until it does.

No but seriously maybe the one that should get a mirror and look at it is you.

Now that might have been a bit harsh but I could see literally no reason for you to keep it closed source. Simply because unless your doing something shady, which I hope you aren't, there is no reason to do this. The only other thing I could think of is that you are for whatever reason ashamed of your current code and want to clean it up first. Which if that is the case is fair enough, but maybe do that BEFORE releasing it... even in WIP status.

Ps. Why are you still using PhotoShop CC 2015? Why not update to 2017?
You were a bit late with that lol.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please don't view closed source as a bad thing just because one guy here messed around with it. That said, I always planned to release the source from the start, this was just something I was curious about.

I was going to raise the question of NTR CFW, that's closed source, double standard much to let that pass, but not let this slide, when the common denominator is the competence and experience of both Devs. I know it takes one bad egg to ruin a basket, but that doesn't mean you can't make a new basket filled with fresh eggs.

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was going to raise the question of NTR CFW, that's closed source, double standard much to let that pass, but not let this slide, when the common denominator is the competence and experience of both Devs. I know it takes one bad egg to ruin a basket, but that doesn't mean you can't make a new basket filled with fresh eggs.
Really this is false. It much more like patching a hole only when someone fall into it. Now that we have seen the danger of closed source homebrew we are now aware enough to be wary of these things.

Now of course not all closed source is a virus or malware. But the risks are higher, because of the lost transparency. Because in most homebrew communities, including the 3DS' it's kind of the default to release source. When this isn't done, especially for an app like this which should not containing anything in source which is private or needs to be protected for any (good?) reason it is only natural we become suspicious of the app.

Last edited by MRJPGames,

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I changed the game to Mario Kart 7 and still showed like this

srPeSG6.png

Weird, every game I've tried so far works for me apart from system settings and E-Shop. I'll need to have a look at this, thanks again for providing a screenshot!

In the meantime, does anyone else face this issue?

Really this is false. It much more like patching a hole only when someone fall into it. Now that we have seen the danger of closed source homebrew we are now aware enough to be wary of these things.

Now of course not all closed source is a virus or malware. But the risks are higher, because of the lost transparency. Because in most homebrew communities, including the 3DS' it's kind of the default to release source. When this isn't done, especially for an app like this which should not containing anything in source which is private or needs to be protected for any (good?) reason it is only natural we become suspicious of the app.

Regardless of everything you said, I have every right to do whatever I want with if I decide to program something. But yeah as I have stated before, I always open source my projects for the benefit of people learning from it.

CodyMKW

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RPG Maker Fes and Tomodachi Life shows up

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Mario Kart 7 were physical copies
RPG Maker Fes and Tomodachi Life were digital copies

Maybe physical copies just don't show

Last edited by CodyMKW,
Reactions: Joel16

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Guys, PLEASE STOP FREAKING OUT JUST BECAUSE IT'S CLOSED SOURCE. The reason Themely went closed source is because Erman couldn't enforce the GPL, and it's likely the same story with this.

This looks really clean! I'll have to check it out later.

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
Hope you soon add a "Search for friends" option where you can search users and what their favorite games are, having a friend request system.

Also didn't the dude say they would make this open source and just wanted to see what would happen if it was closed source? Don't get your panties in a twist people.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RPG Maker Fes and Tomodachi Life shows up

Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Mario Kart 7 were physical copies
RPG Maker Fes and Tomodachi Life were digital copies

Maybe physical copies just don't show

Ah yeah that's definitely why, thanks for identifying the issue! I'll try to get this fixed.

Reactions: PrincessLillie

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When this isn't done, especially for an app like this which should not containing anything in source which is private or needs to be protected for any (good?) reason it is only natural we become suspicious of the app.

From my observations, nobody really bat an eye about closed source until Cell9 was confronted hardcore about making NTR CFW open source. Then when the damage was done there, quiet and calm came until Erman heated it up. While Cell9, as I said, is very competent and experienced, Errman exhibited signs that he's a fucking asshole. Closed source to me isn't the problem, moreover it's the person behind the project, and Erman has proven to be really shady. Also, if it wasn't for the Unbanmii disaster, pointed out by an admittedly bored astronautlevel, this apparent "Fuck all close source" rhetoric would not have come up, given more fuel and incentive for people who somehow get horny doing witch hunts and criticizing a dev (admittedly some deserve it, once again, Erman). That's just my take on the situation, and this particular dev explained his situation, even before I never batted an eye about it, he's dependable, competent, for me personally, he's successfully supplanted FTPD with 3DShell as my goto for FTP stuff, and convenient file managing.

MaK11-12

Trophies
Website
www.deltabeard.com
XP
Country
People are freeking out about closed source because homebrew applications on the 3DS have the potential to cause an unrecoverable brick.

Throughout the GBA scene to the 3DS scene, there have been some scummy developers whom have exploited users by bricking their systems, or obtaining data.

You can't really blame users when you hear all the negativity surrounding bricks and malicious applications caused by closed source applications.

However, Joel16 has definitely proved himself to be great asset to the 3DS homebrew scene, and I have confidence as a fellow developer that none of his code would be malicious. Great work.

Last edited by MaK11-12,
D

Deleted User

Hey, this is a pretty nifty tool. Didn't expect anyone to make one of these but you never know with the homebrew scene these days.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Don't know what the point of this is but I will not use closed source brew.
Have fun. If you don't use closed-source homebrew, don't use it. Don't see the need for that post at all. It's almost as if you're trying to imply that closed-source = bad or something.

Kyusetzu

Does Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am REALLY looking forward to this.
I would love if you could turn this into some sort of friendlist manager.
xpQXy.bmp

For me everything is working except the size of the white bar for the fav. game.

My suggestions:
  • Put any nice music into it, something calm maybe.
  • Reposition the image of the fav. game under the Text.
  • Instead of cutting the white background bar from the fav. game, put it directly above the Username and remove it completely (like this)
    xpSxU.png
#BadEditing xD
My wishes
  • Show every friend
  • add & remove friends
  • check if people deleted you (by delete and readding friends)

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
But the risks are higher, because of the lost transparency.
Uh, no. It can go both ways. Said transparency can give people a false sense of security because most people are going to think it's safe to use just because the source is open, but it takes the ability to read and understand code to know if it's safe. Honestly, open sourcing something malicious would probably lead to a higher infection rate. Open source code can be obfuscated as well, so there's that too. I don't think licensing prevents code obfuscation, but I could be wrong. But yeah, social engineering leads to more infections than 0days. It requires doing one's own research to determine if something is safe or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.